Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Bowie wrote: »
    Well jiff, its believed by themselves the leak most likely came from garda sources. So job done.

well matt people believe all sorts of strange things that they cant prove ,

remember when GSOC thought that gardai were doing surveillance on them and it turned out it was insomnia coffee shop wifi across the street lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

selous wrote: »
    Read the first few pages then skipped to last page, so apologies if this has been covered.

This was 4 years ago, he'd been driving to and fro from Offaly and Dublin..on as he calls it a "provisional licence"

Well, for a well read minister he's fudging it, On 30th September 2007 (over 4 years ago)the new "Learner Permit"came into being and on 30th June 2008 all learner permit holders had to be accompanied by a fully licenced driver .

So this man is picking up expenses for driving to and from the Dáil "illegally" repeatedly

So not only his over the limit for being a learner (10mg per 100) but driving unaccompanied too, did this invalid his insurance if he did to damage along the way?

The one thing coming across from this debacle is that there is one rule for us mere mortals, and another for the 'elite'.

I would love to know what BC means by regulating his driving license & just how did he keep this out of the public domain for 4 years. And never told MM? Can't believe that either.

The whole episode stinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

mynamejeff wrote: »
    well matt people believe all sorts of strange things that they cant prove ,

remember when GSOC thought that gardai were doing surveillance on them and it turned out it was insomnia coffee shop wifi across the street lol

I'm going by the Garda jiff.
    Looks like you are trying very hard to cover for Barry the behind the wheel boozer. Not to worry Jiff, more interested in the media coverage and Cowen claiming full expenses when he was banned by the looks

I'm going by the Garda jiff.
    Looks like you are trying very hard to cover for Barry the behind the wheel boozer. Not to worry Jiff, more interested in the media coverage and Cowen claiming full expenses when he was banned by the looks

not sure what you mean there matt ?

but it seems to me they are both dishonest

He rectified his licence? How do you do that? Do you not qualify for a full licence by passing the test? Something very fishy about this!

And that's why I am annoyed with Áine Lawlor for not pressing him enough in the interview. This regulating needs explaining!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I remember how smug the fine failures were when the shinners couldn't even go a week after their good showing in the election without putting their foot in their mouth .. what was it singing a song or something... now these clowns can't go a few days without a major f#ck up and from fine failure royalty in the shape of the oceans...ha ha ha ha

It would almost make you hark back to the days of the slow parasitic death of the country as the people were fed on by the banks hedge funds and bond holders or fine Gael as we know them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Cowans

not sure what you mean there matt ?

but it seems to me they are both dishonest

To be clear Jiff, the lack of media coverage for one and the hammering by the media of the other. Is what interests me.
    Now cowen claiming expenses puts it right in FF territory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so Barry Cowen admits he's been caught speeding too at the very end https://twitter.com/lostexpectation/status/1279745300794617857

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Why shouldn't he claim travel expenses? Presumably he still had to travel?

What is odd is that he appears to have claimed the maximum amount of travel expenses, meaning:

1) coincidence that the amount he traveled exactly matched the maximum allowance

2) he traveled more than the maximum allowance and is out of pocket

3) he's on the fiddle

I doubt he's alone in Leinster House with expenses claims...

• Advertisement

To be clear Jiff, the lack of media coverage for one and the hammering by the media of the other. Is what interests me.

and if you hand been paying attention you would have seen that I asserted that one sought out the media attention and the other did not

yeap if cowen was claiming expenses in the working he should be prosecuted for fraud . I wonder will he claim that he had to pay some one else to drive him to the dail ?

party's don't seem to matter as much to me as they to you I don't care what party you are if your dishonest you shouldn't be in public office

also is your letter e broken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I wonder was BC's vehicle in Kildare St during his ban.

and if you hand been paying attention you would have seen that I asserted that one sought out the media attention and the other did not

yeap if cowen was claiming expenses in the working he should be prosecuted for fraud . I wonder will he claim that he had to pay some one else to drive him to the dail ?

party's don't seem to matter as much to me as they to you I don't care what party you are if your dishonest you shouldn't be in public office

I know Jiff, I read that.
    I don't even know what party Daly is in Jiff. Just that claiming expenses falsely reminds me of classic FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the expenses they are claiming are unvouched then I don't think they can't be done for fraud.

If I'm not mistaken this scam was brought in by Ahern.

Cut down on his FF colleagues getting caught up in corruption scandals by making it almost impossible to be caught being corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

capefear wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/HangBlaa/status/1279743090807496704

Im not sure it this was posted already.

As far as I know it's an allowance not a mileage claim. It is block no matter what mode of transportation you use.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If the expenses they are claiming are unvouched then I don't think they can't be done for fraud.

If I'm not mistaken this scam was brought in by Ahern.

Cut down on his FF colleagues getting caught up in corruption scandals by making it almost impossible to be caught being corrupt.

But it's not just corruption that seems to affect our 'important' public representatives. They see themselves as being above the rest of us- rules are not for them.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-mep-visited-leinster-house-and-convention-centre-instead-of-quarantining-39342197.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think the worst part of the story is that he was at the All Ireland final and a ticket for a Dublin - Mayo game was wasted on a lad from Offaly.

Plus it was the 2016 All Ireland final when this story popped up a few days before it took place
    'What about my All-Ireland ticket?' complains senator

A Fine Gael senator has complained to the GAA after being told only TDs are entitled to obtain tickets through the Croke Park authorities for the All-Ireland football final.

Mayo Senator Michelle Mulherin accused GAA bosses of discrimination after being told her position does not guarantee her the option of tickets for this weekend's showdown between Dublin and her home county.

The GAA accepts applications for two tickets per TD as long as their respective counties are in action in the final. Tickets must be bought at full price.

However, in a letter sent to Ms Mulherin and seen by the Irish Independent, GAA Árd Stiúrthóir Páraic Duffy rejected her request for tickets for Sunday's match.

Mr Duffy pointed to the significant demand for tickets and the fact that GAA policy dictates that only TDs can avail.

"Unfortunately, we are unable to facilitate your request as the demand for tickets exceeds the number available," Mr Duffy wrote.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/what-about-my-all-ireland-ticket-complains-senator-35050679.html

Michelle will be fuming now shes found out an Offaly man got a ticket and she didnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has he still a Learner Permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has he still a Learner Permit?

Apparently his licence is now regularised, whatever that means

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Plus it was the 2016 All Ireland final when this story popped up a few days before it took place

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/what-about-my-all-ireland-ticket-complains-senator-35050679.html

Michelle will be fuming now shes found out an Offaly man got a ticket and she didnt :D

With all due respect, Mulherin has more than enough dirty linen of her own to not be making noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he claim travel expenses? Presumably he still had to travel?

What is odd is that he appears to have claimed the maximum amount of travel expenses, meaning:

1) coincidence that the amount he traveled exactly matched the maximum allowance

2) he traveled more than the maximum allowance and is out of pocket

3) he's on the fiddle

I doubt he's alone in Leinster House with expenses claims...

It would be not unusual for stuff to happen like this. In a job I’d meet colleagues on conferences getting hotel staff to put three pints say as part of the food bill, you were allowed say 60 euros for dinner in the evening, they didn’t care if we were having two courses or four. They were fairly decent hotels but a colleague might only order dinner, dessert and ‘A’ drink, you could expense a glass of wine... but the bill would have starter, main, dessert, wine , sparkling water x3 (in reality a bottle of wine or two pints)

Strumms wrote: »
    It would be not unusual for stuff to happen like this. In a job I’d meet colleagues on conferences getting hotel staff to put three pints say as part of the food bill, you were allowed say 60 euros for dinner in the evening, they didn’t care if we were having two courses or four. They were fairly decent hotels but a colleague might only order dinner, dessert and ‘A’ drink, you could expense a glass of wine... but the bill would have starter, main, dessert, wine , sparkling water x3 (in reality a bottle of wine or two pints)

It doesn't work like this it's an allowance. If you attend the Dail for a day you get paid an allowance to cover you meal, travel and overnight expenses. It's a set allowance depending on your distance from the Dail.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It doesn't work like this it's an allowance. If you attend the Dail for a day you get paid an allowance to cover you meal, travel and overnight expenses. It's a set allowance depending on your distance from the Dail.

My suggestion would be removing the allowance and let the politicians expense the meals and any sundry expenses such as travel.

There are 158 members of Dáil Éireann, get them to submit expenses via an online report, scanning receipts in email. Most or not ALL will have a PA so it should be easy.

I’ve done exactly this as part of my job for myself. A couple of hours over a month.... no biggie for themselves and PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You keep doing a which was worse. Playing down what Cowen got done for. That's not why we are making the comparison. This has been explained to you.
    The papers likely buried Cowens story and hammered Daly. While Daly was doing a great job IMO. Also it's not believable that MM didnt know. That's the interesting parts.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a fixed penalty that requires no arrest or court case and therefore no publicity and an arrest for refusing to provide a breath specimen when asked to do so by a garda, thus leading to arrest and being brought to the Garda station where she ensured a decent delay. (she was in the station for over 2 hours)

And due to this very well planned delay, her test came back 30% under the limit. (and well above Cowens test cos limits had changed and he stupidly had provisional license)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

I thought there was a ban for refusing to provide a breath sample

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

With all due respect, Mulherin has more than enough dirty linen of her own to not be making noise.

Ooooh Vicar!

Strumms wrote: »
    My suggestion would be removing the allowance and let the politicians expense the meals and any sundry expenses such as travel.

There are 158 members of Dáil Éireann, get them to submit expenses via an online report, scanning receipts in email. Most or not ALL will have a PA so it should be easy.

I’ve done exactly this as part of my job for myself. A couple of hours over a month.... no biggie for themselves and PA.

That generally works out no cheaper than giving an allowance. If you work on reciept lads go to the most expensive restaurant and Hotels. They claim milage on a big an engine size that they can claim for. And as another lad pointed out the messing that goes on there as well

Slava Ukrainii

Koolguy wrote: »
    I thought there was a ban for refusing to provide a breath sample

At the side of the road yes. If you fail that and get to the station you can opt for breath, urine or blood.

Urine was a big choice for women 15-20 years ago as there had to be a female to go into the room with the person giving the sample.
    Back then there might not have been a Ban Garda on for that shift

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Darc19 wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand the difference between a fixed penalty that requires no arrest or court case and therefore no publicity and an arrest for refusing to provide a breath specimen when asked to do so by a garda, thus leading to arrest and being brought to the Garda station where she ensured a decent delay. (she was in the station for over 2 hours)

And due to this very well planned delay, her test came back 30% under the limit. (and well above Cowens test cos limits had changed and he stupidly had provisional license)

Barry Cowen failed his roadside breathalyser test, is that not an arrestable offence? Could've sworn it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

One was a fixed penalty notice, that did not require arrest or court appearance the other was an arrest for failure to provide a breath specimen at roadside and then prevaricating to ensure enough time had elapsed before providing a urine sample and even then she was over his level, but as she had a full license, no offense was committed. Whether that would have been the case if she did the breathalyzer when asked, we'll never know.

Oh yeah, her excuse was that she could not blow!!!!

Advertisement