Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jim Root wrote:
    Drink driving is not a trivial matter.
    I never said it was but there's different levels of drink driving. Being just over the limit isn't that horrendous. I would never do.it. As soon as I imbibe any alcohol I'm not driving for the rest of the day. I rarely drink but I'm responsible.
    I'm not saying drink.driving at any level is ok. I'm personally of the opinion that you should not be legally allowed to drive a car with any alcohol in your system and that includes the day after you drink.

As I've said I'm no fan of Barry Cowen, I'm not here to defend him or any other FF'er either. I actually don't like Barry Cowen. My whole point is about this becoming as big of a deal as it did. Imo it should never have become a big deal like that. Barry Cowen should never have been sacked over this imo. He paid the price for his misdeeds in court and that should be the end of it imo.

And the hypocrisy in this thread is something else. I keep asking about what should be done with Buckley and a couple have answered and said he should be thrown out of his party so at least there's consistency from those people but you have SF supporters who refuse to answer any questions about Buckley. And the the FG supporters nearly attack you for holding the view that Harris should have been sacked for allowing billions of our up money to be wasted on the children's hospital under his watch.
    Like imo if we are starting to sack people let's sack incompetents like Harris and people who drive cars blind drunk like Buckley. Let's at least be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Barry is on Midlands 103 now 103.5 FM if within range or online...
    https://www.midlands103.com/

Soft soft interview.

Rectification is the new buzz word.

Change in the narrative from his initial tweet.

Fianna Fáil are now only bigger than Micheál Martin.

So when is he going to do his driving test?

Will we get a live video feed?

I guess that he will ace the 3 point turn and probably reversing around a corner too :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never said it was but there's different levels of drink driving. Being just over the limit isn't that horrendous. I would never do.it. As soon as I imbibe any alcohol I'm not driving for the rest of the day. I rarely drink but I'm responsible.
    I'm not saying drink.driving at any level is ok. I'm personally of the opinion that you should not be legally allowed to drive a car with any alcohol in your system and that includes the day after you drink.

As I've said I'm no fan of Barry Cowen, I'm not here to defend him or any other FF'er either. I actually don't like Barry Cowen. My whole point is about this becoming as big of a deal as it did. Imo it should never have become a big deal like that. Barry Cowen should never have been sacked over this imo. He paid the price for his misdeeds in court and that should be the end of it imo.

And the hypocrisy in this thread is something else. I keep asking about what should be done with Buckley and a couple have answered and said he should be thrown out of his party so at least there's consistency from those people but you have SF supporters who refuse to answer any questions about Buckley. And the the FG supporters nearly attack you for holding the view that Harris should have been sacked for allowing billions of our up money to be wasted on the children's hospital under his watch.
    Like imo if we are starting to sack people let's sack incompetents like Harris and people who drive cars blind drunk like Buckley. Let's at least be consistent.

talk about a broken record.

it was all the other crap that came to light and very poor dealing with the circumstances and questions that did him in.

NOT the drink-driving.

How many times do people have to tell you this...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone else hearing that Cowen has left FF. Only a matter of time imo.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »

really?

going to mould himself into a Healy-Rae or Lowry local modern-day chieftain lol?

A crown of thorns for king Biffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Glebee wrote: »

Not a chance. His family are steeped in the party

Did you listen to the interview?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Terminator.

The independent are saying he's gone all legal

Where's he going with that

There is more to this story than has met the eye thus far.

yes like what's in that nyarda report!

against the guards?

how did he manage to get his own pulse report in record time... or was it because he had it already....?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

glasso wrote: »
    talk about a broken record.

it was all the other crap that came to light and very poor dealing with the circumstances and questions that did him in.

NOT the drink-driving.

How many times do people have to tell you this...?

You can comfort yourself with this crap all you want, but it most certainly was the outrage brigade who contributed to a man losing his job for an offence a long time ago.

Should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In his statement after being sacked he was going on about his rights as a citizen and data protection. Then he needled the Gardai as the source of the leak so guessing this is his legal angle.

Yet if Thomas Byrne knew he got done from drink driving then Id say a lot of other people in FF did too, the leak could have come from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

begbysback wrote: »
    You can comfort yourself with this crap all you want, but it most certainly was the outrage brigade who contributed to a man losing his job for an offence a long time ago.

I'm absolutely scundered so I am.

Crack out the rod for my backside.

glasso wrote: »
    So when is he going to do his driving test?

Will we get a live video feed?

I guess that he will ace the 3 point turn and probably reversing around a corner too :pac:

Hold on... Has he not done it still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tbh I had no problems with Cowens conviction fine and 3 months off the road. Crime committed, punishment served job done.
    Now the problem is how did he manage to claim the same expenses for the 3 months he was off the road as before his ban. Second did he continue to drive on a learner permit after he served his ban was he accompanied by a full license holder? Did he do a U turn before the checkpoint. The lads and lasses in AGS lookout for that exact behaviour at MBT stops.
    All these questions yet as we know Barry had no interest in answering any. An inability to be frank and honest is not a trait desirable in a minister. Best place for him is on the back benches. He can sharpen his knife along with the rest of the malcontents in FF.

Crack out the rod for my backside.

Your apathy is understandable given the nature of the typical outrager to move swiftly along looking for the next thing to be outraged by.

Tbh I had no problems with Cowens conviction fine and 3 months off the road. Crime committed, punishment served job done.
    Now the problem is how did he manage to claim the same expenses for the 3 months he was off the road as before his ban. Second did he continue to drive on a learner permit after he served his ban was he accompanied by a full license holder? Did he do a U turn before the checkpoint. The lads and lasses in AGS lookout for that exact behaviour at MBT stops.
    All these questions yet as we know Barry had no interest in answering any. An inability to be frank and honest is not a trait desirable in a minister. Best place for him is on the back benches. He can sharpen his knife along with the rest of the malcontents in FF.

exactly.

so many questions (more than listed here) and exactly 0 answers provided by the bould Barry.

because for sure there were very un-ministerial answers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm actually flagellating myself in a basement right now begsby.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm actually flagellating myself in a basement right now begsby.

Dunning-Kruger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I see Barry is now comparing himself to Johnny Dooley and Séamus Darby.

That's a relief, I was afraid he was going to play up to the tribal instincts of his constituents.

He is really is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Its great that Biffos brother is gone. Arrogance is a dreasful trait. He can horse as much porter into him as he wants now, the arrogant flute.

He isn’t gone, he is demoted for something which really he should not have been. He has been convicted twice for the same crime

Hopefully he will be back in a few years

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He isn’t gone, he is demoted for something which really he should not have been. He has been convicted twice for the same crime

He wasn't convicted twice for the same crime. He was sacked because he couldn't/ wouldn't answer questions and MM knew a continued defence of the clown would bring him down aswell. Politicians are sole traders great buddies until friendship causes trouble.
    With any luck he never leaves the backbenches we have now seen the character of the man.

he created this situation all by himself on so many levels.

to be honest the fact that he was driving around on a provisional for well over 20 years, that fact alone should bar him from being a minister - he lives in Tullamore and there is a test centre right there.

complete laziness and incompetence.

Your apathy is understandable given the nature of the typical outrager to move swiftly along looking for the next thing to be outraged by.

I'm outraged that you'd think I was outraged.

I can't believe that the level of your first contributions to this thread, nearly three weeks in to this controversy, is to complain about people "running him out of his job". Come on now.

Oh my God.

This is peak Shef right here.

Still peddling the nonsense that he lost Ministerial role because of the crime? Cmon now.

Row in behind your leader's decision already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

When this is finally finished being investigated and if it shows Barry Cowen was wrongly reported on the garda pulse system for evading the check point will he get his ministry back and where will this leave mm

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Crack out the rod for my backside.[/quote]
    Any answer about what should be done with Buckley. You know the SF lad that got behind a wheel blind drunk.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any answer about what should be done with Buckley. You know the SF lad that got behind a wheel blind drunk.

Is that SF Minister that lied about his drink driving and the refused to answer any questions about it? That Buckley lad?

Move on eagle eye. You're out of your depth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s rumours more to come out in tomorrow’s papers

And it may lead to Cowen leaving FF

Take that with a pinch of salt but still...

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    When this is finally finished being investigated and if it shows Barry Cowen was wrongly reported on the garda pulse system for evading the check point will he get his ministry back and where will this leave mm

Data is going nowhere dude.

Advertisement