Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is that SF Minister that lied about his drink driving and the refused to answer any questions about it? That Buckley lad?
    No it's Buckley the TD who drive a car when over three times the legal limit. What's your opinion on what should be done on him.
    Move on eagle eye. You're out of your depth here.
    More insults, that's what people stoop to when they feel outmatched and it appears with the amount of people you've insulted in this thread that you feel that way quite often.

Eagle Eye... be like... Please stop. Please....

375px-Flump_%28blue%29.jpg

_110290810_8af4324c-5f2f-4e78-a3a1-fc8fcead38aa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    No it's Buckley the TD who drive a car when over three times the legal limit. What's your opinion on what should be done on him.

Honestly. Seriously, you haven't the ability to parse the facetious tone I had clearly on display there? Wow.

More insults, that's what people stoop to when they feel outmatched and it appears with the amount of people you've insulted in this thread that you feel that way quite often.

I don't see how it was insulting. Based on your posting history, on this thread and others, I feel that you're not really up to scratch with your political awareness.

You've spent a fortnight alternating between three narratives that no one is buying, ie. Harris and the NCH, "wha' 'bout Buckley", and how social media hounded out the bould Barry for a minor infraction.

Despite no one buying these utterances and despite people repeatedly correcting you, you still peddle them. So yeah, I think you're out of your depth.

You're being contrary for the sake of it or you genuinely just don't get what people are telling you. Either way, it's annoying.

As regards my "insulting of others", by all means haul up those posts. If others feel I have done so, I would gladly retract them. But if the posts you feel are insulting were in fact just me calling people out for biased bullshít, well then frankly eagle eye, it says more about you than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

cute geoge wrote: »
    When this is finally finished being investigated and if it shows Barry Cowen was wrongly reported on the garda pulse system for evading the check point will he get his ministry back and where will this leave mm

No.

He still has so many questions to answer.
    He wont answer those questions because it will only make things worse for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No.

He still has so many questions to answer.
    He wont answer those questions because it will only make things worse for him.

Agree. There’s a whole list of questions that can be fired at him on his driving habits and of course expenses from this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

AGS have informed the watchdog about a potential misuse of the PULSE and the disclosure of information held within.

This kinda ****e needs to stop. I'd hope that whatever members accessed this for the purposes of leaking it to the media is sacked. I hope Harris has the cojones to do so thus setting a precedent.

There's an assumption that the information the media for leaked came from the pulse database.

It came from a Garda and not necessarily from one that pulled it from the pulse system.

cute geoge wrote: »
    When this is finally finished being investigated and if it shows Barry Cowen was wrongly reported on the garda pulse system for evading the check point will he get his ministry back and where will this leave mm

Take Frances Fitzgerald as an example. Hounded out of office by Micheal Martin who threatened a vote of no confidence.

Wikipedia:
    Fitzgerald was later cleared of blame by the Collins Report in March 2018. In October 2018, the third interim report of the Disclosures Tribunal found that she had "selflessly" resigned in the national interest.

There's an assumption that the information the media for leaked came from the pulse database.

It came from a Garda and not necessarily from one that pulled it from the pulse system.

true.

the nyards know well that all pulse queries are logged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Take Frances Fitzgerald as an example. Hounded out of office by Micheal Martin who threatened a vote of no confidence.

Wikipedia:
    Fitzgerald was later cleared of blame by the Collins Report in March 2018. In October 2018, the third interim report of the Disclosures Tribunal found that she had "selflessly" resigned in the national interest.

There was that small matter of as minister for justice she mislead the Dail including the Taoiseach but hey ho let's rewrite history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The fine and few months off the road was Cowen’s legal punishment for breaking the law, same as any of us would get.

The political price is always higher.

A ministry is one of the highest echelons of power you can hold in this country. Massive budgets, impacting whole sectors of the economy and hundreds of thousands of people.

If you want that much power, you’d better be ready to face a higher level of accountability.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    The fine and few months off the road was Cowen’s legal punishment for breaking the law, same as any of us would get.

The political price is always higher.

A ministry is one of the highest echelons of power you can hold in this country. Massive budgets, impacting whole sectors of the economy and hundreds of thousands of people.

If you want that much power, you’d better be ready to face a higher level of accountability.

very true. well articulated.

I feel that you're not really up to scratch with your political awareness.
    I'll just respond to this bit. I'm well up to scratch on my politics both past and present. I'm just not happy about the power that the media and social media have right now and I think it's wrong.

And still you haven't told me what you think should be done with Buckley.

added to ignore list

I'll just respond to this bit. I'm well up to scratch on my politics both past and present. I'm just not happy about the power that the media and social media have right now and I think it's wrong.

I'll turn the question around, what should be done to a TD that failed a breath test, fined and punished taken place?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There’s rumours more to come out in tomorrow’s papers

And it may lead to Cowen leaving FF

Take that with a pinch of salt but still...

Would imagine the Sunday Times have more information than what has been published so far. Be interested to see what they might publish later tonight. They got access to his Pulse file so they know every scrape he has had with the law.

This is a thread on Barry Cowen. If Buckley is so important to you why dont you go and set up a thread on him. And while you're there set up another thread on the Fine Gael councillor who was drunk driving, sped off from a Garda checkpoint and then ran into a church graveyard to hide in the bushes like a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He has been convicted twice for the same crime
    Barry Cowen should never have been sacked over this imo. He paid the price for his misdeeds in court and that should be the end of it imo.

I think you’re both finding it challenging to understand what happened here, and to be fair it really shouldn’t be that challenging imo.
    Barry Cowen wasn’t sacked for being slightly over the limit when caught drink driving.
    Barry Cowen wasn’t penalised twice for the same offence.
    Barry Cowen never appeared in court for that drink driving offence

These are facts, incontrovertible, facts.

Barry Cowen was sacked because he wouldn’t come into the Dail and answer a number of relevant questions – this is what Micheal Martin said when he was sacking him.
    The following might be some of the questions he would be expected to answer
    - Did he really have only 2 pints, up to 6 hours before being stopped
    - Did he turnoff or do a U-turn as he approached the checkpoint
    - Did the Gardai follow him or was he intercepted by another Garda car
    - Why would the Garda(i) falsify a pulse report if he hadn’t done one of the above
    - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he always display L plates
    - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he always have a qualified driver with him (after this became a legal requirement).
    - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he ever drive on a motorway.
    - When did he ‘regularise’ his driving permit
    - Did he take (and pass) a driving test & when
    - Did he display his N plates after becoming a newly qualified driver

I'll turn the question around, what should be done to a TD that failed a breath test, fined and punished taken place?

why make the pain continue?

why?

Cute Hoor wrote:
    Barry Cowen was sacked because he wouldn’t come into the Dail and answer a number of relevant questions – this is what Micheal Martin said when he was sacking him. The following might be some of the questions he would be expected to answer - Did he really have only 2 pints, up to 6 hours before being stopped - Did he turnoff or do a U-turn as he approached the checkpoint - Did the Gardai follow him or was he intercepted by another Garda car - Why would the Garda(i) falsify a pulse report if he hadn’t done one of the above - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he always display L plates - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he always have a qualified driver with him (after this became a legal requirement). - While he was driving on a provisional/learner permit did he ever drive on a motorway. - When did he ‘regularise’ his driving permit - Did he take (and pass) a driving test & when - Did he display his N plates after becoming a newly qualified driver
    Are you bringing in the FBI to do the questioning?

glasso wrote: »
    why make the pain continue?

why?

Satisfying my S&M tendencies.

Muahahaha wrote:
    This is a thread on Barry Cowen. If Buckley is so important to you why dont you go and set up a thread on him. And while you're there set up another thread on the Fine Gael councillor who was drunk driving, sped off from a Garda checkpoint and then ran into a church graveyard to hide in the bushes like a coward.
    It's relevant because one was clueless at his job(Harris) and the other was way, way over the limit whole drink driving(Buckley). Let's have some consistency here, if we are going after one why are we not hauling the others over the coals too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

Whatever else this episode has shown, it's that Barry Cowen doesn't have much in the way of political skill. He's not much a "cute hoor" if he was too dim to realise the following:
    • Driving around illegally on a provisional license when a TD or minister, is a bad idea.
    • Embarrassing the government, the Taoiseach, and your party leader is a bad idea.
    • Not resigning when you were given the opportunity to save some face is a bad idea.
    • Forcing the Taoiseach into a position where he has to sack you is a bad idea.
    • Having the brass neck to refuse to answer questions in the Dáil is a bad idea.
    • Whinging about how badly you think you have been treated is a bad idea.

I can't believe some people are still backing this guy. He's a chancer through and through, and the country got lucky that he was shafted by one of his own party before he had a chance to do any damage in government.

There was that small matter of as minister for justice she mislead the Dail including the Taoiseach but hey ho let's rewrite history

History says she was vindicated by the Charleton report. But I guess you're the definitive authority.

swampgas wrote: »
    Whatever else this episode has shown, it's that Barry Cowen doesn't have much in the way of political skill. He's not much a "cute hoor" if he was too dim to realise the following:
    • Driving around illegally on a provisional license when a TD or minister, is a bad idea.
    • Embarrassing the government, the Taoiseach, and your party leader is a bad idea.
    • Not resigning when you were given the opportunity to save some face is a bad idea.
    • Forcing the Taoiseach into a position where he has to sack you is a bad idea.
    • Having the brass neck to refuse to answer questions in the Dáil is a bad idea.
    • Whinging about how badly you think you have been treated is a bad idea.

I can't believe some people are still backing this guy. He's a chancer through and through, and the country got lucky that he was shafted by one of his own party before he had a chance to do any damage in government.

But, but, Buckley!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's relevant because one was clueless at his job(Harris) and the other was way, way over the limit whole drink driving(Buckley). Let's have some consistency here, if we are going after one why are we not hauling the others over the coals too?

What is it you want people to say about Buckley?

He wasn't ever a minister who refused to answer questions relating to his past transgressions with the law, and has made accusations against the guards making having details on their system that he says are false. Barry was.

Buckley's still a TD.

So is Barry Cowen.

Can you be a bit more clear about what it is you want people to say about Buckley, and why you feel it's relevant to the Cowen affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Haughey would've had the journo fired before the story hit and the Garda silenced.
    Thankfully not so easy these days

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

It's on the front page of the Sunday Indo too

https://twitter.com/CrumlinFuels/status/1284609071572815872?s=20

It's on the front page of the Sunday Indo too

https://twitter.com/CrumlinFuels/status/1284609071572815872?s=20

Why do people have such trouble spelling Cowen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Terminator.

Says he drove into a residential estate

No mention of a u turn

• Advertisement

Says he drove into a residential estate

No mention of a u turn

Well, the allegation was always that he attempted to evade a checkpoint. People just assumed that meant a u turn.

Advertisement