Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Says the allegation is that he drove into a residential estate to evade the checkpoint.

No mention of a u turn

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McMurphy wrote:
    Can you be a bit more clear about what it is you want people to say about Buckley, and why you feel it's relevant to the Cowen affair?
    It's relevant because this is a what brought the whole Cowen thing up. He was slightly over the limit and it's caused a furore. Buckley was over three times the limit which is far more serious and irresponsible. Do you not get that. If we are removing Cowen from his ministerial post them surely Buckley should be kicked out of his party.
    Likewise Harris was horrendous as Minister for Health, he showed he isn't capable of doing the job and should not be a minister again. What he did as minister for Health was huge damage so if we are removing Cowen from office we should remove him from office.
    I'll remind people again, this is not me defending Barry Cowen, it's about what's going on. I just want consistency and fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

He's on the front cover of the Mail too, though it's a different story, and it is the Mail...

https://twitter.com/leeofthemail/status/1284620418872217600?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's relevant because this is a what brought the whole Cowen thing up. He was slightly over the limit and it's caused a furore. Buckley was over three times the limit which is far more serious and irresponsible. Do you not get that. If we are removing Cowen from his ministerial post them surely Buckley should be kicked out of his party.
    Likewise Harris was horrendous as Minister for Health, he showed he isn't capable of doing the job and should not be a minister again. What he did as minister for Health was huge damage so if we are removing Cowen from office we should remove him from office.
    I'll remind people again, this is not me defending Barry Cowen, it's about what's going on. I just want consistency and fairness.

What laws did Simon Harris break?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What we know:

1) Cowen did not have a full licence despite driving for several decades

2) Cowen drove unaccompanied while not on a full licence

3) Cowen drove on motorways despite not having a full licence

4) Cowen was caught speeding on a provisional licence

5) Cowen was caught drink driving in 2016

6) Cowen did not tell his boss about his drink driving in 2016

7) When Cowen apologised in 2020, after someone leaked story, he didn't mention that he was on a provisional licence at the time

8) When he clarified the provisional licence, after that info was leaked, he didn't mention the turning away from the checkpoint

9) When he clarified the turning away from the checkpoint leak he insisted the guarda record was wrong

10) The guarda investigation has stated that the guarda record is right

11) Michael Martin had had enough about the truth being released in stages

12) Someone was out to 'get' Cowen

13) Cowen was very easy to 'get' due to his behaviour

Overall, I couldn't see any other outcome other than Cowen losing his ministerial post. It was far from a simple lapse and being just slightly over the limit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Cutehoorism caught out-great result. Biffo senior and Biffo junior was not as clever as they thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

FF dropping 4 points in latest opinion poll also. Couldn't get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Fann Linn wrote: »

Is that the one that has them at 9% that was going around twitter earlier? I think that was said to be fake. Not sure the real results are out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

KiKi III wrote: »
    Why do people have such trouble spelling Cowen?

Many other words and awful grammar also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fann Linn wrote: »

No offence but what difference does it make, no election on the horizon

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote:
    What laws did Simon Harris break?
    He didn't, he just stood there and watched billions disappear into a black hole. Thats a sackable offense everywhere, except the Irish government it appears.

National Children's Hospital - a balls-up going since 1993

All Simon Harris's fault for sure.

Maybe there is a treatment for Obsessive compulsive Buckley/ Harris posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll just respond to this bit. I'm well up to scratch on my politics both past and present. I'm just not happy about the power that the media and social media have right now and I think it's wrong.

What was wrong with the rest of the post?

Power?

Do you honestly believe that Micheal Martin bowed down to social media pressure?

Cowen was hoisted by his own petard. He could have manned up but decided to Fianna Fáil his way out of it. And failed.
    And still you haven't told me what you think should be done with Buckley.

When he's minister for agriculture and lies about his driving history then maybe get back to me.

It'll be over by the weekend. So I hear.

Bowie wrote: »
    Haughey would've had the journo fired before the story hit and the Garda silenced.
    Thankfully not so easy these days

Lord knows I despise Haughey with all of my heart and soul, but Mícheál Martin is no "Jack Kennedy".

This is senior hurling.

* fingers in ears *

* la la la la la *

* Not a Fianna Fáil supporter *

KaneToad wrote: »
    What we know:

1) Cowen did not have a full licence despite driving for several decades

2) Cowen drove unaccompanied while not on a full licence

3) Cowen drove on motorways despite not having a full licence

4) Cowen was caught speeding on a provisional licence

5) Cowen was caught drink driving in 2016

6) Cowen did not tell his boss about his drink driving in 2016

7) When Cowen apologised in 2020, after someone leaked story, he didn't mention that he was on a provisional licence at the time

8) When he clarified the provisional licence, after that info was leaked, he didn't mention the turning away from the checkpoint

9) When he clarified the turning away from the checkpoint leak he insisted the guarda record was wrong

10) The guarda investigation has stated that the guarda record is right

11) Michael Martin had had enough about the truth being released in stages

12) Someone was out to 'get' Cowen

13) Cowen was very easy to 'get' due to his behaviour

Overall, I couldn't see any other outcome other than Cowen losing his ministerial post. It was far from a simple lapse and being just slightly over the limit..

See you forget that it was "social media furore" that got him. How dare you.

glasso wrote: »
    National Children's Hospital - a balls-up going since 1993

All Simon Harris's fault for sure.

Maybe there is a treatment for Obsessive compulsive Buckley/ Harris posting?

It's funny you say that. I actually wrote a massive report on paediatric services from a GIS pov 2 years ago and yeah, it's been a lot longer than that.

The fact that the NCH is being built on the James' site rather than the Mater site is something we should congratulate Enda Kenny and James Reilly and Fine Gael for.

It should have been in Blanch tbh, but that's beside the point.

Sorry, I think we were blaming Simon Harris for something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's funny you say that. I actually wrote a massive report on paediatric services from a GIS pov 2 years ago and yeah, it's been a lot longer than that.

The fact that the NCH is being built on the James' site rather than the Mater site is something we should congratulate Enda Kenny and James Reilly and Fine Gael for.

It should have been in Blanch tbh, but that's beside the point.

Sorry, I think we were blaming Simon Harris for something...

He was unfortunate enough to be minister of health when the cervical scandal hit. Was his department but he wasn't responsible. He was responsible for the damage control which was sub par.
    Then he was there when the NCH ran over by so much and it was a mystery to Sio and Pascal. That was in the least eye off the ball time incompetence.
    Then he made his 'boo boo' when he doubled down on his ignorance over covid number 19.
    In short he wasn't up to scratch and was pretty much all the time reacting poorly after the fact.
    He wasn't very good. A bobble head toy would have fared as well.

When he's minister for agriculture and lies about his driving history then maybe get back to me.
    And there's the hypocrisy everyone. A guy drives when completely drunk but let's not concern.ourselves about it because he's not a minister.

• Advertisement

And there's the hypocrisy everyone. A guy drives when completely drunk but let's not concern.ourselves about it because he's not a minister.

You should've shouted "GOTCHA" at the top of your voice.

But, eh, yeah, no, cos, "Bucko" is an irrelevance. He was given his position by the people, and I assume he served his time for the crime, just like Barry Cowen.

Now that we've established that much, again, what is your next dead horse? Jarett Stidham perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bowie wrote: »
    He was unfortunate enough to be minister of health when the cervical scandal hit. Was his department but he wasn't responsible. He was responsible for the damage control which was sub par.
    Then he was there when the NCH ran over by so much and it was a mystery to Sio and Pascal. That was in the least eye off the ball time incompetence.
    Then he made his 'boo boo' when he doubled down on his ignorance over covid number 19.
    In short he wasn't up to scratch and was pretty much all the time reacting poorly after the fact.
    He wasn't very good. A bobble head toy would have fared as well.

The Shinners and the looney left couldn’t even form a govt, despite as they say ‘winning the election’.
    One of their main ‘spokesmen’ exulted as having “broken the state” and shouted support for a terrorist organisation.... and their camp followers wonder why they are not in govt.:eek:

When will the truth sink in, one wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

"In fact Cowen, who was driving on a learner licence and was accompanied by a passenger he has not identified, drove into a small residential cul-de-sac just before the checkpoint. He was followed by a garda who gave him a breath test and arrested him there."
    Sunday Times report today.

Perhaps he was too p1ssed to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The Shinners and the looney left couldn’t even form a govt, despite as they say ‘winning the election’.
    One of their main ‘spokesmen’ exulted as having “broken the state” and shouted support for a terrorist organisation.... and their camp followers wonder why they are not in govt.:eek:

When will the truth sink in, one wonders.

That the shinners are the most popular party in the country and will most likely be much bigger after the next election? I don’t know, maybe when you open your mind I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

That the shinners are the most popular party in the country and will most likely be much bigger after the next election? I don’t know, maybe when you open your mind I suppose.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40018115.html

I’d have thought we all know better than to believe polls. I’m a floating voter so they certainly don’t apply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I’d have thought we all know better than to believe polls. I’m a floating voter so they certainly don’t apply to me.

Sure there only opinion polls I know, but just pointing out nothing is guaranteed in politics.
    Yesterday's winners, next year's losers.
    Winning an election doesn't guarantee being in govt and that's where the decisions are made.
    The rest is just huff and puff.

Offering loadsa money without kinda saying how it’s going to be raised tends to raise popularity.

Amazing how when in opposition huge promises are made but when in power the tune changes rapido.

Give Pat Rabbitte a ring-up to explain.

Offering loadsa money without kinda saying how it’s going to be raised tends to raise popularity.

Amazing how when in opposition huge promises are made but when in power the tune changes rapido.

Give Pat Rabbitte a ring-up to explain.

No shortage of cash being splashed by the current crowd on Garda drivers etc. Well able to spend money on themselves fffg are. All the knocking of Sinn Fein only makes people more interested in voting for them imo, so you’re kind of shooting yourselves in the foot.

• Advertisement

No shortage of cash being splashed by the current crowd on Garda drivers etc. Well able to spend money on themselves fffg are. All the knocking of Sinn Fein only makes people more interested in voting for them imo, so you’re kind of shooting yourselves in the foot.

Don’t think so Mr Z, Middle Ireland is well able to differentiate between chaff and bullsdust and playing to the gallery and poor Pearse using his favourite word ‘clear’ on every thing.

Clear as a bathroom window after a teenagers shower P.

Bit to go yet mr Z......uhmmm.

Whiff of the heather and whins in the high hills still permeates the party, I’m afraid, a few bullrushes and bog cotton still stuck to the ‘fatigues’.

But.... who knows..

Advertisement