Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    The story over on RTE sounds like MM went over to seal a deal on helping those worst hit by covid and it was achieved. No mention of Ireland specifically.

Do you think Ireland should turn its back on its fellow Europeans who suffered greatly from Covid-19?

Is your concern for your fellow man limited to good Irishmen and Irishwomen only?

We are a rich country by European standards, we have the highest social welfare rates, we have the lowest personal taxes on the average wage. Only right that we should all dig in to help our European partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

There was no judgement in Bowie's message, blanch, just a statement of fact that is likely of interest to most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The story over on RTE sounds like MM went over to seal a deal on helping those worst hit by covid and it was achieved. No mention of Ireland specifically.

Being a successfull and forward thinking country is a terrible burden.

Trying to operate on, as we were before the c-19, on full employment and plenty of jobs does not please everyone, it has to be said.

Taking responsibility for your own actions and looking after your career and progression through life, seems to be anathema to a certain coterie of folk.

It seems to some that being progressive and achieving success is a dirty word for some.

Of course folk in genuine difficulty should be helped in every way, but there seems to be an increasing rump out there who exploit those systems from cradle to grave and have no shame about it.

The entitlement classes exist, and are out there in good numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Being a successfull and forward thinking country is a terrible burden.

Trying to operate on, as we were before the c-19, on full employment and plenty of jobs does not please everyone, it has to be said.

Taking responsibility for your own actions and looking after your career and progression through life, seems to be anathema to a certain coterie of folk.

It seems to some that being progressive and achieving success is a dirty word for some.

Of course folk in genuine difficulty should be helped in every way, but there seems to be an increasing rump out there who exploit those systems from cradle to grave and have no shame about it.

The entitlement classes exist, and are out there in good numbers.

The likes of Barry Cowen you're referring to here I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you think Ireland should turn its back on its fellow Europeans who suffered greatly from Covid-19?

Is your concern for your fellow man limited to good Irishmen and Irishwomen only?

We are a rich country by European standards, we have the highest social welfare rates, we have the lowest personal taxes on the average wage. Only right that we should all dig in to help our European partners.

Well as someone who likes to ignore your fellow Irishmen and -women on the basis of them being resident in Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Derry, Antrim and Down, it's a bit rich to be criticising Bowie for abandoning his fellow Europeans. Also, I can't see what you saw in his post that you needed to have a go at anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

L1011 wrote: »
    Its more likely what he's been sacked for occurred in the past weeks, namely what was or wasn't told to Martin.

Plus his attempt to manipulate the Garda pulse account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Lowest personal taxes? Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's curious, for such a wealthy country, how we've year on year worsening societal crises and 'no magic money tree' to tackle housing for example.
    It depends on the spend I've found. Blank cheques for some things, 'magic money tree?' blarney for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Verifiably false.

"In Ireland, the average single worker faced a net average tax rate of 25.9% in 2019, compared with the OECD average of 25.9%. In other words, in Ireland the take-home pay of an average single worker, after tax and benefits, was 74.1% of their gross wage, compared
    with the OECD average of 74.1%"

Countries in the OECD that tax the average worker lower include Sweden, Czech, Austria, UK, New Zealand, Spain,Japan and others.

France and Norway tax the average worker marginally more. Belgium and Germany are outliers in how much they tax the average salaried worker.

Source: OECD tax wedge study.

http://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/taxing-wages-ireland.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwivsaG75-PqAhUBBogKHZM3DgQQFjABegQIDBAH&usg=AOvVaw3An55PmK4Ohf1JsQ4btlu9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We can all recall how the EU fcked us over about ten years ago in the so-called bailout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We can all recall how the EU fcked us over about ten years ago in the so-called bailout.

No we did that ourselves Brian Lenihan and friends in late night meeting.
    The EU have acknowledged we were screwed but that decision was made in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I hope its ok to ask as i have lost touch with this.
    Last i read was that Barry Cowan had hired a team of high powered people to challenge the details of the incident that led to his driving ban.
    Is this still the case? or is the whole saga over....

No we did that ourselves Brian Lenihan and friends in late night meeting.
    The EU have acknowledged we were screwed but that decision was made in Dublin.

Fair dues, Michael Noonan, "we took one for the team". He made a personal financial killing the early years FG and he rolled us into generational debt. The tax paying publics faith and that of these people are not intertwined. See 16000 top up going into a post pandemic recession. Oh and Brexit. Magic money tree for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Fair dues, Michael Noonan, "we took one for the team". He made a personal financial killing the early years FG and he rolled us into generational debt. The tax paying publics faith and that of these people are not intertwined. See 16000 top up going into a post pandemic recession. Oh and Brexit. Magic money tree for some.

So you don't agree it was Lenihan and co, it was Michael Noonan?
    We are, off topic of course but don't let that stop the exaggeration and name changing.

So you don't agree it was Lenihan and co, it was Michael Noonan?
    We are, off topic of course but don't let that stop the exaggeration and name changing.

Where did I say that? I said he and FG deserved fair dues. It was on point for the comment it followed. But don't let that get in the way of you playing defense with made up stuff and zero input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What has Brexit got to do with the Barry Cowen sacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Where did I say that? I said he and FG deserved fair dues. It was on point for the comment it followed. But don't let that get in the way of you playing defense with made up stuff and zero input.

Wtf has any of it to do with Cowen anyway.
    You and another poster were lamenting the whataboutry whatabout on another thread.
    Sorry, its just not anything to do with the subject at hand and it was twisted to then get a dig in about Noonan when even then it wasn't mentioned, you changed the subject and name on the whole thing.
    Absolutely ridiculous given your stance on other threads.

Wtf has any of it to do with Cowen anyway.
    You and another poster were lamenting the whataboutry whatabout on another thread.
    Sorry, its just not anything to do with the subject at hand and it was twisted to then get a dig in about Noonan when even then it wasn't mentioned, you changed the subject and name on the whole thing.
    Absolutely ridiculous given your stance on other threads.

I was commenting on a post about the bailout. What are you getting so irked about? Are you saying my mentioning FG played a role too is me deflecting from Barry Cowen? :)
    You saw FG get criticised and jumped in. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So today fm tried to be clever(and failed imo) by including a picture of barry cowen in a car as an accompaniment to a story on proposed changes to parts of the driving test. That to me wasn't correct because the picture and story had no connection. I mean surely today fm could have found a stock photo that would have better suited the story. Also, it's on the day of his mothers funeral which deputy cowen didn't take kindly to and I can't blame him for that. Now I may disagree with a politicians in this country on policy but I don't have anything personal against any of them. And I think I wouldn't be alone in at least saying nothing on the day of their families funeral. And no this isn't me being offended for no reason, it's about being respectful to TDs(or anybody else for that matter) at times of loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So today fm tried to be clever(and failed imo) by including a picture of barry cowen in a car as an accompaniment to a story on proposed changes to parts of the driving test. That to me wasn't correct because the picture and story had no connection. I mean surely today fm could have found a stock photo that would have better suited the story. Also, it's on the day of his mothers funeral which deputy cowen didn't take kindly to and I can't blame him for that. Now I may disagree with a politicians in this country on policy but I don't have anything personal against any of them. And I think I wouldn't be alone in at least saying nothing on the day of their families funeral. And no this isn't me being offended for no reason, it's about being respectful to TDs(or anybody else for that matter) at times of loss.

Today FM have said it was a complete mistake and took it down as soon as it was realised and apologised.
    Unfortunate, but unfortunate things happen.

• Advertisement

Today FM have said it was a complete mistake and took it down as soon as it was realised and apologised.
    Unfortunate, but unfortunate things happen.

They've said it was a mistake but today fm are a national broadcaster who have reported on his mothers death so they knew the funeral was today or at least soon so why was a picture of barry cowen in a car even within an arses roar of that story ? And also I was happy to see that several TDs of most parties and at least one MEP came out and said it was in bad taste. Yes they probably disagree on things in the dail and that's politics but I hope we the Irish never lose our respect around funerals and remember there is a time and the day of the funeral isn't that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how do you know the person that put it up was aware his had mother died?

it was not on a news story but a a morning show excerpt https://twitter.com/CowenBarry/status/1294559159258681345

are Radio morning show content producers supposed to know when TD's parents die?

Barry Cowen: I'm not a victim https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/barry-cowen-im-not-a-victim-39378247.html

whatever about his mother passing, the morning show with Dermot and Dave has a cheeky tone, so it was perfectly appropriate for them to take the piss out of a TD by including his photo on the piece.

they weren't commenting on his family so, it nothing to do with that so even if a family had died it was appropiate

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

how do you know the person that put it up was aware his had mother died?

it was not on a news story but a a morning show excerpt

Even if the person didn't know, it's a stupid weak "joke" to use his photo. It has no connection with what the news story was about. Would anybody have actually found it funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They've said it was a mistake but today fm are a national broadcaster who have reported on his mothers death so they knew the funeral was today or at least soon so why was a picture of barry cowen in a car even within an arses roar of that story ? And also I was happy to see that several TDs of most parties and at least one MEP came out and said it was in bad taste. Yes they probably disagree on things in the dail and that's politics but I hope we the Irish never lose our respect around funerals and remember there is a time and the day of the funeral isn't that time.

The 'unfortunate' part was it was in bad taste.

If it was done intentionally then it was disgusting, but we have no evidence that it was...is TodayFM in the habit of doing things like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

sunshinew wrote: »
    Even if the person didn't know, it's a stupid weak "joke" to use his photo. It has no connection with what the news story was about. Would anybody have actually found it funny?
    the morning show with Dermot and Dave has a cheeky tone, so it was perfectly appropriate for them to take the piss out of a TD by including his photo on the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sunshinew wrote: »

Havent seen it but yeah it sounds like they did it deliberately given the photo had no connection with the story other than it was a story about the driving test. I doubt they knew his mother had died though. It is silly season at the moment so most of their staff are away on holiday, would imagine it was some intern in for summer experience who did it and thought they were being edgy by using a photo of Barry on a story about the driving test. But yeah I agree, its in poor taste for a broadcaster to be doing that kind of stuff even if Barry Cowen is an idiot for what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It was in a bad taste in fairness. Been tough few years for the family especially their mother . Their must have been great pride at one stage only to see both brothers careers end in ignominy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It was in a bad taste in fairness. Been tough few years for the family especially their mother . Their must have been great pride at one stage only to see both brothers careers end in ignominy.

They are still very popular in the midlands, would be a brave man to say a word against either of them while standing in Offaly.

TBH I think Brian got a lot of hate that he didn't deserve, he is in very bad health at the moment as well.

Barry on the other hand was the architect of his own downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Now both Cowens were well able to dish it out when in opposition.

Both found out sharpish the playing on the ‘concrete’ is a lot different to playing on the water

So wouldn’t have too much sympathy.

• Advertisement

They are still very popular in the midlands, would be a brave man to say a word against either of them while standing in Offaly.

TBH I think Brian got a lot of hate that he didn't deserve, he is in very bad health at the moment as well.

Barry on the other hand was the architect of his own downfall.

And that's fair enough but that's a separate issue. I think he did wrong(after the fact) and suffered the consequences. That issue has nothing to do with private matters like the death of his mother and that picture. The two are separate imo. I mean take the PBP crowd. I disagree with them on most things but if something happened in their private life's( and hopefully nothing does) I wouldn't be happy about it just because I disagree with them politically.

Advertisement