Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And that's fair enough but that's a separate issue. I think he did wrong(after the fact) and suffered the consequences. That issue has nothing to do with private matters like the death of his mother and that picture. The two are separate imo. I mean take the PBP crowd. I disagree with them on most things but if something happened in their private life's( and hopefully nothing does) I wouldn't be happy about it just because I disagree with them politically.

I agree the post was in poor taste but while I think Dermot and Dave are about as funny as watching paint dry I do reckon it was an unfortunate mistake that it was put up at the same time as his mams funeral and there was no malice intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah Id say it was unlikely they knew about his mother funeral, how would they even know that unless they lived in Offaly or knew the family personally. It was just unfortunate timing on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Today FM "mistake" just goes to show how important it is to have a properly constituted production team if you are a broadcasting organisation venturing beyond playing music and buying in news and sport reports.

An editor would have avoided causing such upset to the family on a sad day.

I have checked their website and see no sign of an apology - poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It was in a bad taste in fairness. Been tough few years for the family especially their mother . Their must have been great pride at one stage only to see both brothers careers end in ignominy.
    why was it in bad taste to take piss out of a minister who lost his position because he try to evade driving laws

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

elperello wrote: »

They posted an apology at 11am today.
    https://twitter.com/TodayFM/status/1294574366177538048

P.S. Plenty of shows with the best editors make gaffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Today FM "mistake" just goes to show how important it is to have a properly constituted production team if you are a broadcasting organisation venturing beyond playing music and buying in news and sport reports.

An editor would have avoided causing such upset to the family on a sad day.

They do have an apology on his twitter and in fairness put it up nearly as soon as he tweeted about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

the morning show with Dermot and Dave has a cheeky tone, so it was perfectly appropriate for them to take the piss out of a TD by including his photo on the piece.

There 2 worst presenters god ever put breath on , his sketch on that granny is total junk . I’d expect nothing more from them just to get publicity .

They posted an apology at 11am today.
    https://twitter.com/TodayFM/status/1294574366177538048

P.S. Plenty of shows with the best editors make gaffs.

Yes I saw that response to Barry Cowen earlier but thought they might have underlined their corporate contrition by issuing a proper apology on the official website.

Not everyone does Twitter.

There 2 worst presenters god ever put breath on , his sketch on that granny is total junk . I’d expect nothing more from them just to get publicity .
    I don't think they are in anyway good, but what exactly is that you think they did to get publicity?

a) take piss out of a minister who lost his position because he try to evade driving laws

b) take piss out of a minister who lost his position because he try to evade driving laws knowing his mother had just died?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes I saw that response to Barry Cowen earlier but thought they might have underlined their corporate contrition by issuing a proper apology on the official website.

Not everyone does Twitter.

Barry Cowen does.

Who else do they have to apologise to, only him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah Id say it was unlikely they knew about his mother funeral, how would they even know that unless they lived in Offaly or knew the family personally. It was just unfortunate timing on their behalf.

Well it was reported on national news so if not up to date on every detail they should be generally aware of it.

Barry Cowen does.

Who else do they have to apologise to, only him.

I accept that obviously Barry Cowen is on twitter.

However the offence was very public in it's nature hence the reason for the apology to be public.

It's a question of standards.

I accept that obviously Barry Cowen is on twitter.

However the offence was very public in it's nature hence the reason for the apology to be public.

It's a question of standards.
    Cowen himself brought it up on twitter so they responded where he was.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it was reported on national news so if not up to date on every detail they should be generally aware of it.
    so maybe there is 1 or 2 online content workers putting up stuff on the web, and that content maybe gets automatically published on to social media, probably didn't know of Cowen's mother funeral.

Cowen himself brought it up on twitter so they responded where he was.

That was a response to B C but the original offence was given in a public setting therefore a public apology is required.
    so maybe there is 1 or 2 online content workers putting up stuff on the web, and that content maybe gets automatically published on to social media, probably didn't know of Cowen's mother funeral.

I don't know their staffing levels but if they are trying to play first division they need to up their game.

The rules of media are clear, if you are not sure don't publish and if you make a mistake apologise.

That was a response to B C but the original offence was given in a public setting therefore a public apology is required.

I don't know their staffing levels but if they are trying to play first division they need to up their game.

The rules of media are clear, if you are not sure don't publish and if you make a mistake apologise.
    the original "offence" was noticed on twitter

they did apologise publically

the original offence was noticed on twitter

they did apologise publically

I get what you are saying and I suppose you are right that twitter is considered as an organ of media now.

I guess I'm just old fashioned :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

another one bites the dust ,

who's next ...

who's next ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

kerry cow wrote: »

who's next ...

Stale news, a chara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Stale news, a chara.

Calleary only resigned today so not that old.

Calleary only resigned today so not that old.

Old on this platform,dude, about twenty pages ago on the relevant threads

That’s old.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That’s old.

LOL. when that was posted it was brand new information. It is not other peoples fault that it took you more than 2 hours to read it and respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That’s old.

Weren't you going on about Barry McElduff earlier? That's ancient history to this in comparison.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Weren't you going on about Barry McElduff earlier? That's ancient history to this in comparison.

Randal, for a lad who delves into what happened in the past, poor Barry’s sliced pan wouldn’t have blue spots on it yet.:D

Stale news, a chara.

so who's the new guy, seemly your so wise .

kerry cow wrote: »
    so who's the new guy, seemly your so wise .

What “ new guy” do you refer to, buddy.

Never advertised myself as being “wise” in my recollection.

If I did I withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Randal, for a lad who delves into what happened in the past, poor Barry’s sliced pan wouldn’t have blue spots on it yet.:D

Your real name is Fillipe Filliop I reckon.

All over the place you are.

What “ new guy†do you refer to, buddy.

callerys replacement

• Advertisement

Difficult to say cow.... MM will hold for a while, till this flame out dies down.

McConnollogue perhaps if I was pushed.

Whoever has a ‘clean record’ I suppose, no skeletons in the cupboard.

Advertisement