Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So a Gardai contacted the media about Daly but all was kept quiet on Cowan (a prominent TD in cabinet and brother of a former Taoiseach)

If this was about an SF TD, I'm sure all parties would be demanding resignation

He only became "a prominent TD in Cabinet" last week.

While I acknowledge that the Kildare Gardai are exceptionally intelligent, it would have taken a remarkably farsighted garda to have anticipated that an unknown, thick, rural TD from the Offaly cretin belt would become famous in five years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now I appreciate that the Kildare Gardai are exceptionally intelligent but it would have taken a remarkably farsighted garda to have anticipated that an unknown, thick rural TD from the Offaly cretin belt would become famous in five years' time.

He was still a well known FF TD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

While I acknowledge that the Kildare Gardai are exceptionally intelligent, it would have taken a remarkably farsighted garda to have anticipated that an unknown, thick, rural TD from the Offaly cretin belt would become famous in five years' time.

How do you know it was Kildare Gardai? Where exactly was he stopped and arrested?

TD's are paid a fixed allowance to cover travel meal and accomodation per day they are in the Dail. It immaterial whether you drive, cycle or take public transportation. It immaterial whether you stay in a hostel or the Shelbourne hotel or eat in supermacs or in Chapter one. It's a fixed amount per sitting

One or two decent TDs don't actually take the expenses, however the majority of them - be they from the left, the right, the centre or completely apolitical - hoover it up.

The unlamented, moneygrabbing Zappone actually chose a roundabout way to drive to Leinster House so she'd be eligible to claim a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Would this even be as big of a story if he wasn't related to Brian Cowen. He's going to be hounded out of the office if he makes any mistakes.

I can't fooking believe I might want to see him stay in office, lest his deputy is put in charge, even for a day. :eek:

So a Gardai contacted the media about Daly but all was kept quiet on Cowan (a prominent TD in cabinet and brother of a former Taoiseach)

Jaysus I have to ask what age you are because you don't appear to know how the real world works.

First off I can't see any Gardai keeping quite about members of a party that collect the killers of colleagues of theirs from prison.
    Can you ?

And it is probably easier to keep things quite in a local rural station than one in Dublin city.

Also Daly would have been seen as antagonistic to the guards so fair game.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    How do you know it was Kildare Gardai? Where exactly was he stopped and arrested?

Why not do your own research? You appear to have have plenty of time as you lurk around the darker corners of Boards.ie all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think its a bit of storm in a teacup, but I find it odd that he was using a learner permit, had he previously lost his licence or just never got a fill one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You would almost feel sorry for MM.
    Waited 20 years for top job.
    First the Cowan fiasco.
    Then some other guy flies from Brussels for the party only to break the rules by attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

is clare daly a he?

You might need to open a new thread there. Whole other kettle of fish .

He was still a well known FF TD

With the exception of his constituents and a handful of political anoraks he was about as well known as Charlie Murtagh from Boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

one garda doing something they shouldn't does not mean that other garda should follow suit

Why not do your own research? You appear to have have plenty of time as you lurk around the darker corners of Baords.ie all day long.

Jesus - who rattled your cage?

I didn't know it was Kildare Gardai involved, hardly a cardinal sin to ask if it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That's loose talk. He's a smart businessman and his brother was well educated and savvy too. Your contribution fails by being needlessly abrasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

remember when Barry Cowen was caught speeding in the Dail https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1187049518929469441

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

First the Cowan fiasco.
    Then some other guy flies from Brussels for the party only to break the rules by attending.

What do you mean, "First the Cowan fiasco" ?

Where the hell have you been ?

First one was relegating your second in command to a non ministerial role.
    Second was not giving any full ministerial role to anyone West of the Shannon, Limerick and North of Shannon.
    That would be area of over 1 million people and a lot of staunch party grass roots.
    Third was giving full ministerial role to someone first elected to Dail a few months back after getting pushed onto ticket after many failed attempts.

MM has been a walking disaster since he got the job.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

At what stage is it ok for a politician to break the law and remain a public leader/representative. From this thread it seems acceptable to drink and drive. What about taking drugs and driving? Assault? Rape?

Why and where is there a line drawn? TDs and public reps should be beyond reproach, it's part and parcel of the role. They all know that, and there's plenty who tow the line that can replace him.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That's loose talk. He's a smart businessman and his brother was well educated and savvy too. Your contribution fails by being needlessly abrasive.

I agree about BIFFO (whose only genuinely stupid act was to grab the poisoned chalice when Bertie offered it to him) but BIFFO minor isn't in the same league.

Indeed, describing him as a "smart businessman" is a scandalous abuse of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus I have to ask what age you are because you don't appear to know how the real world works.

First off I can't see any Gardai keeping quite about members of a party that collect the killers of colleagues of theirs from prison.
    Can you ?

And it is probably easier to keep things quite in a local rural station than one in Dublin city.

Also Daly would have been seen as antagonistic to the guards so fair game.

So SF and IDs are fair game to Gardai but not FF or FG

Jesus - who rattled your cage?

I didn't know it was Kildare Gardai involved, hardly a cardinal sin to ask if it was?

Next time, why not try a slightly less abrasive form of interrogation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

First the Cowan fiasco.
    Seven day wonder. Next week some other genius will have ****ed up. A Green T.D. will be photographed in Supermacs or a F.G. spacer will give out about Travellers

• Advertisement

Next time, why not try a slightly less abrasive form of interrogation?

If you feel this:

Is an "abrasive" form of "interrogation", perhaps the internet isn't a safe place for you Mr Stevens. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why would anyone feel sorry for a man who as a senior government minister helped destroy the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

covered how? he got a fixed charged notice. he had no court appearance. how could a reporter report on it? are you suggesting that a garda should have tipped off a reporter?

There you go apologising for his drunk driving or being technically over the limit but if his auntie had balls etc.
    We got every detail on Daly's at a time when she was holding the government and Garda to account as was her job, zero on Cowen. Someone obviously decided not to publish it, until now. If the argument is it was a non story, well it's a story now, so why not then? Likely someone with an axe to grind. Anyway, point stands, media playing politics.

Homelander wrote: »
    It's been explained to him several times in this thread which he repeatedly ignores and keeps banging his lunatic conspiracy drum.

Like the one where I'm commenting on the facts and giving an opinion? Or the one were the Garda think a Garda most likely leaked Daly's story?
    Someone within Gardai tipped the media off about Clare Daly.

The same didn't happen with Barry Cowen.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with media coverups or "burying stories", putting aside the laughable notion that an entire countries media conspired to protect a rural TD in an unpopular, out of power party.

So you believe they published Daly's story because they found out about it through a Garda. But they didn't publish a story on Cowen because the only found out about it the other day? You think they publish a four year old story for a slow news day? Fair enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bowie wrote: »
    There you go apologising for his drunk driving or being technically over the limit but if his auntie had balls etc.
    what in the name of jaysis are you on about?
    We got every detail on Daly's at a time when she was holding the government and Garda to account as was her job, zero on Cowen. Someone obviously decided not to publish it, until now. If the argument is it was a non story, well it's a story now, so why not then? Likely someone with an axe to grind. Anyway, point stands, media playing politics.

maybe the media didnt report it because they didnt know? perhaps the garda involved decided to do his job properly and not phone a local reporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoboo wrote: »
    At what stage is it ok for a politician to break the law and remain a public leader/representative. From this thread it seems acceptable to drink and drive. What about taking drugs and driving? Assault? Rape?

Why and where is there a line drawn? TDs and public reps should be beyond reproach, it's part and parcel of the role. They all know that, and there's plenty who tow the line that can replace him.

Yes, in a place where standards and morals and decency and principles apply this would be a given..

Sadly we are regressing in these areas days by day..it’s been a dog eat dog world for many a year now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why would anyone feel sorry for a man who as a senior government minister helped destroy the country?

He did say almost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

So you believe they published Daly's story because they found out about it through a Garda. But they didn't publish a story on Cowen because the only found out about it the other day? You think they publish a four year old story for a slow news day? Fair enough :)

Surely you're trolling at this point. Something is "news" when it comes to light, though I didn't think your ability to evade logic would sink to this level of argument.

Your opinion is that for some bizarre reason, the collective media were engaged in a massive cover-up and bury job because a rural TD was caught drink-driving at a time when his party was neither in Government or popular.

The fact that a Garda chose to leak Clare Daly's case, which happened in completely different context, time and location.....has nothing whatsoever to do with the media.

It really is completely as simple as if the media knew about Barry Cowan, at the time, they absolutely would have reported on it.

You're desperately trying to make it something far more than it is. And now you're going off the deep end of accusing people of supporting drink-driving because they pointed this out to you? :confused:

Your conspiracy is up there with "Bush did 9/11" and "Hitler died aged 98 in Argentina".

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Your posts would come across as more genuine if you stopped forcing this drunk driving angle

He was done for drink driving.......as well as being on a provisional licence....

Nobody knows if he was or was not drunk here....

I am not saying he wasn't.......I am simply saying that he may not have been drunk

But still bad to do what he did......and should be sacked...no ifs or buts....

And the fact that he did not disclose this is more damning....

• Advertisement

Surely you're trolling at this point. Something is "news" when it comes to light, though I didn't think your ability to evade logic would sink to this level of argument.

Your opinion is that for some bizarre reason, the collective media were engaged in a massive cover-up and bury job because a rural TD was caught drink-driving at a time when his party was neither in Government or popular.

The fact that a Garda chose to leak Clare Daly's case, which happened in completely different context, time and location.....has nothing whatsoever to do with the media.

It really is completely as simple as if the media knew about Barry Cowan, at the time, they absolutely would have reported on it.

You're desperately trying to make it something far more than it is. And now you're going off the deep end of accusing people of supporting drink-driving because they pointed this out to you? :confused:

Your conspiracy is up there with "Bush did 9/11" and "Hitler died aged 98 in Argentina".

I posted my opinion based on the available facts. You don't like my opinion, so I'm trolling? Oke doke.
    Do you honestly believe the entire media decide what stories to publish? That's pretty out there. I believe it's possible a journo caught wind and didn't push to publish and sat on the story until now. Which is as believable as someone sitting on the story and deciding to pass it to a journo now. One of these stories must be true right?

You seem to be very hurt by my opinion, hence the lashing out with the 'wit'. Using sarcasm as a defense is not healthy. Also, it's the internet. Not everyone will agree with you, don't take it so hard.

You comparing 9/11/Bush and Hitler still alive to my wondering/asking why Daly got treated so differently is very worrying.

Advertisement