Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Watched a girl dance and had a smoke of a plant.

That's hardly up with there a drunk driver

True but not good publicity for FF in their start in government as the main party

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

As for his judgement, I prefer the approach that he 'did the maths' and reckoned that by the time he got into the car, the elapsed time and food would have reduced the level to below the limit - got it wrong and got done. So rather than contempt for the law, maybe it was simply a miscalculation. Of course that's just speculation on my part.

as Kane Toad said above the maths simply dont add up. If he had of had 2 pints before the match and got tested 4 hours later with a meal in his stomach then he would have been fine. Conclusion is that he drunk more than two pints and he is now lying through his teeth in an effort to make his situation look better

Fair play, that would lbe Cowen breaking the law yet again. And we all know that if you dont have a full license and drive alone all the time then you dont put up L plates. The Gardai have reported on lots of learner drivers doing this. And now we can add Barry Cowen to their list as well.

What kind of an idiot goes around driving on a provisional licence for decades? Not one fit to be a Minister anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

KaneToad wrote: »
    He claimed to have had 2 pints.
    Then gone to All Ireland final. (2 hours)
    Then had a meal. (1 hour)
    Stopped and breathalysed midway between Dublin/Clara (1 hour)

All timings above are on the conservative side. So, in 4 hours, he was still over the limit after only having 2 pints...

They're very conservative.

I mean, where was he parked on the day?

Have you ever tried to get out of the area on a match day?

I posted over in another thread about a similar journey I undertook to Stradbally in Co Laois the day of the SF between Dublin and Kerry in 2013 and I tell ya what... there's details missing from his account.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What kind of an idiot goes around driving on a provisional licence for decades? Not one fit to be a Minister anyway.

I suppose it's ministerial if you're a member of FF.

I mean, imagine if you were a Minister of Finance and didn't have a bank account...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I mean, imagine if you were a Minister of Finance and didn't have a bank account...

That’s funny , well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So FF attack SF over lack of social distancing, but Cowen breaking the law and putting people's lives at risk isn't an issue?

The SF crowd have ended a lot more lives than minister Cowen.

GSBellew wrote: »

Well that's a new segue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

jeez I'd forgotten that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

GSBellew wrote: »

Yes I totally agree, What better way to defend Cowan by saying What about the SF crowd.

Excellent, straight from the Peter Burke book.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,346 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If true it’s still law breaking, and if illegal drugs were involved then it’s serious law breaking..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

walshb wrote: »
    If true it’s still law breaking, and if illegal drugs were involved then it’s serious law breaking..

Smoking a joint is not "serious law breaking" no matter how you want to dress it up.

That law will be broken thousands of times today, and every day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

walshb wrote: »

There's an awful lot of 'Holier than Thou' people on Boards.

Cowan broke the law. He's been punished. That should be it.

Fcuked if I know any able-bodied person who hasn't broken a law here or there, myself included. Should they be fired from their jobs too?

Move on. There's worse sh1t going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Personally I'm far more interested in who or what is behind the leaking of a 4-year old conviction for which he's served his time. The provisional license thing is a stretch. I'm sure most people drove on a provisional even though they shouldn't.

Don't get me wrong.. drink driving and not having the correct license are both valid crimes but he was prosecuted and served his ban, right? Why is this coming up now?

Maybe a better question is, what else is going on/coming that this is to distract us from? (which is normally how these things work)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of 'Holier than Thou' people on Boards.

Cowan broke the law. He's been punished. That should be it.

Fcuked if I know any able-bodied person who hasn't broken a law here or there, myself included. Should they be fired from their jobs too?

Move on. There's worse sh1t going on.

Well these days it seems you can lose your job just for having the "wrong" opinion on certain topics in some places, so who knows?

As I said above, I reckon it's a diversionary tactic for something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

you do know there is thousands caught every year in ireland driving over the limit, i'm no fan of the man or party but he hasn't killed anyone, just made a mistake and will pay for it, like thousands of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Did he receive any punishment for driving on a Provisional or was it just for the drink driving?
    Has he gotten a full licence since?

Drivers who never passed a test zooming around with impunity should have been ended decades ago. When politicians, and perhaps even Ministers, do it they send a subtle endorsement to the many out there who think it's accpetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Personally I'm far more interested in who or what is behind the leaking of a 4-year old conviction for which he's served his time. The provisional license thing is a stretch. I'm sure most people drove on a provisional even though they shouldn't.

Don't get me wrong.. drink driving and not having the correct license are both valid crimes but he was prosecuted and served his ban, right? Why is this coming up now?

Maybe a better question is, what else is going on/coming that this is to distract us from? (which is normally how these things work)

It’s a rubbish story and just feeding to the selected few of Ireland who all think they are still great wee catholic’s and never do anything wrong

Cast out the sinner and all that crap

Guy made a mistake, paid for mistake. End of story.

Now we have all do Gooder who have nothing going on in their lives been shocked and horrified, let the man do his job, if he is terrible at it then throw him to the wolves

I see the most vocal are the usuals on every thread, criminals and murders are ok but don’t get caught drunk driving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When you see so many posters telling us there's nothing to see and move on, I think it's safe to say, there's a lot more to come out....

When you see so many posters telling us there's nothing to see and move on, I think it's safe to say, there's a lot more to come out....

bUt dE iRa kIllEd pEoPlE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

you do know there is thousands caught every year in ireland driving over the limit, i'm no fan of the man or party but he hasn't killed anyone, just made a mistake and will pay for it, like thousands of others.

The thousands are scumbags, each and every one so is anyone who managed to not get caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    bUt dE iRa kIllEd pEoPlE

Worra bow de homeless Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The thousands are scumbags, each and every one so is anyone who managed to not get caught

What about the thousands that are not caught?

Is there anyway we can shame rhem

What’s to see? Tell us all with your wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

Could you imagine the outrage and outcry if this was a Sinn Fein Minister or party member?

CMCXCV wrote: »
    Could you imagine the outrage and outcry if this was a Sinn Fein Minister or party member?

To be honest with SF getting caugh drink driving would be bottom of the list with that lot

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    To be honest with SF getting caugh drink driving would be bottom of the list with that lot

In fairness it's a long list now alright, but FF and FG would be making a massive deal about it tho.

Spare us the faux outrage, you support a party who run a criminal gang who murder people and cover up for them....

In fairness it's a long list now alright, but FF and FG would be making a massive deal about it tho.

They wouldn’t have to, the list above it is 10 times worse

If this is the “worst” they can drag up on FF it’s a non story

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They wouldn’t have to, the list above it is 10 times worse

If this is the “worst” they can drag up on FF it’s a non story

Oh I'm sure there is more to come now. Be like this now for the next month or two.. tit for tat.

• Advertisement

How about we hold both to a reasonable standard of accountability and stop the whataboutism on both sides.

Advertisement