Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He drove unaccompanied on a provisional licence. So did most people over the age of 40.

What in the name of all that's holy would anybody over the age of 40 be doing driving on a provo, I certainly know nobody over 40 doing it, and can't think of any reason other than some irregularity occurring previously with your full licence.
    He got penalty points for breaking the speed limit. So did I.

Bold

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mountain out of a molehill is what this is.

Politicians should be judged by what they do in office, not what they did before (and on the scale of things, what Cowen did was hardly at the top end of the scale. Mandela put bombs in schools FFS before becoming a politician).

I agree with you that BC's issues are small in the greater scheme of things.

I still think it would be better if the Taoiseach had a full picture of the background of people appointed to cabinet.

You don't need to go all the way to SA to find examples of less than exemplary behavior in the peoples lives before entering politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

walshb wrote: »
    If true it’s still law breaking, and if illegal drugs were involved then it’s serious law breaking..

It's not though. Lord knows I'm not one to defend an FFer but that's quite a non story.

Gardaí, thankfully, have discretion when it comes to "possession for personal use". Have done since the 70s. I can't imagine Stephen was working his way through bricks of the stuff can you?

I'm sure you'll keep to every speed limit yourself now today. And not drive over the limit after drinking the night before.

But back to Barry Cowen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I don't subscribe to that.

They are people, the same as the rest of us. They just chose a job that requires a lot of publicity. They aren't any more saintly than the rest of us.

A one-off offence. If your penalty is served on you go.

Choosing to spend years in constant breach of the law at all times behind the wheel by flying around with no licence, only a learner's permit, having never passed a test and charging the public to pay for this through the Parliamentary Travel Allowance. You have no respect for the laws you've been elected to make and I wonder what else you're getting up to on the QT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

They are people, the same as the rest of us. They just chose a job that requires a lot of publicity. They aren't any more saintly than the rest of us.

Jesus the Maria Bailey witch hunt on boards was wrong so.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    What about the thousands that are not caught?

Is there anyway we can shame rhem

So we should concern ourselves with some hypothetical scenarios rather than deal with a real-life factual scenario?

Do our resident FFers ever think this through or hope to shower the place with enough shít that either something else sticks or we get annoyed and move on?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s a rubbish story and just feeding to the selected few of Ireland who all think they are still great wee catholic’s and never do anything wrong

Cast out the sinner and all that crap

Guy made a mistake, paid for mistake. End of story.

Now we have all do Gooder who have nothing going on in their lives been shocked and horrified, let the man do his job, if he is terrible at it then throw him to the wolves

I see the most vocal are the usuals on every thread, criminals and murders are ok but don’t get caught drunk driving.....

Imagine us having the temerity to discuss Barry Cowen's bullshít drink driving story in a thread about Barry Cowen's bullshít drink driving story.

How very dare we.

Nice to see how FFers don't believe it's that big a deal.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well these days it seems you can lose your job just for having the "wrong" opinion on certain topics in some places, so who knows?

As I said above, I reckon it's a diversionary tactic for something else.

Yes this is exactly the same as "losing your job for having the wrong opinion".

Can we take it from your bleeding heart reaction that you're okay with unlicenced drivers drink driving?

To be honest with SF getting caugh drink driving would be bottom of the list with that lot

I'm sure you'd let it slide alright.

But in any case it was a now Fianna Fáil minister, who was unlicenced so, was driving illegally and was drunk.

Are standards in FF so low that you'll wave this away so glibly?

Spare us the faux outrage, you support a party who run a criminal gang who murder people and cover up for them....

You support Fianna Fáil and we're in a thread about a Fianna Fáil minister breaking the law discussing a Fianna Fáil minister breaking the law.

I'm sure you can go off and derail another thread somewhere else and bring SF up there.

But let's stick to the topic of you condoning unlicenced drivers drink driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'm sure you'd let it slide alright.

But in any case it was a now Fianna Fáil minister, who was unlicenced so, was driving illegally and was drunk.

Are standards in FF so low that you'll wave this away so glibly?

Where's the evidence that he was drunk?

What more is to come out? would you not think that now would be the best time to release something more on it? really dig a hole for him

Or do you think, thats the story, nothing else!!!

Not sure what the tit for tat is about?

Hardly.

He's releasing a statement today isn't he? So best to release it when he inevitably lies in his statement.

If there was nothing to it you'd think he wouldn't have to release a statement...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hardly.

He's releasing a statement today isn't he? So best to release it when he inevitably lies in his statement.

If there was nothing to it you'd think he wouldn't have to release a statement...
    Will he fall on his sword?

The story is not about SF, they have so many issues even making a comment about this story or any other party they should be told to shut up and sort their own house out

I made the comment about the SF supporters jumping all over this thread all been high and mighty while they support SF. Lets just leave it at that

So no one ever should have an opinion about anything unless they are squeaky clean?

That's rich coming from a supporter of a party as corrupt as Fianna Fáil.

And yet again you tar anyone disagreeing with your warped world view as a SF supporter.

I'm raging i missed out on all your years of defending Bertie, Charlie, Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor.

But yeah, tell us about the big bad Sinn Féin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well if they want to be seen to be making amends for the clusterfu*k years Ago that guy needs To go.
    Wasn’t like he smoked a joint when he was 19.

49 years old ,speeding and drink driving on a provisional license.

Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Cowen is a smart lad (or at least appears to be), when he was caught he should have come out with his hands up, put it all on the table, and try to kill it in one go. None of the bullsh1t about having 2 drinks at least 5 hours before he was stopped. Now he's got journos feverishly rummaging in the trash can. Who sang?

It is usual Ireland, people hate seeing someone do better. Anyone gets a bit further in life and you have the "I will take then down a peg or two"

We will never find out who it came from, Cowen is well liked in FF so I doubt it was from the party.

Ah yes, the lovable rogue defence.

More to the point is why is it such a big story? to me shows how backward Ireland still is.....he committed a crime, paid for it and moved on with his life. Is that not what people are supposed to do when they made a mistake?

If he done it 20-30 times and never learned then yes go after him.

It's a big story because our ministers' should be held to a higher standard and there was clearly a cover up.

As always in these cases, the cover up is worse than the crime.

Also, the story itself makes no physiological or geographical sense, so not only was he in the wrong and broke the law, he is clearly lying about some aspects of the story.

But yeah, he has a free pass now to do it 19 or so more times. Off you go Barry, nothing to see here.

How might I ask?

Because it had to be "leaked".

I mean, isn't that the whole basis of the story and the pathetic attempts to defend him.

But as you say yourself, he only did it once, not 20-30 times so be grand. Leave him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Intern.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Cowen is a smart lad (or at least appears to be), when he was caught he should have come out with his hands up, put it all on the table, and try to kill it in one go. None of the bullsh1t about having 2 drinks at least 5 hours before he was stopped. Now he's got journos feverishly rummaging in the trash can. Who sang?

Does this ever work out, releasing a statement?

It's usually only the beginning of the end

And why the need for a statement for a FCPN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jesus the Maria Bailey witch hunt on boards was wrong so.

You're gone up massively in my mind. I thought you were simply anti SF. There might be hope for political discussions on boards yet!

• Advertisement

I didn’t say anything for or against drink drivers

Just saying your faux outrage is laughable.....

How is it faux outrage?

People here are outraged. There's nothing "faux" about it. You just don't see anything wrong with it because it's an FFer involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Cowen needs to get a grip. Did he pass his driving test in the end? The sooner he fully and honestly says what his offences and driving history was the sooner we can get focus on the real issues we're facing. There's a lot going on and this is a stupid bloody distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Intern.

Papers may have more too

Sometimes they slow play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How is it faux outrage?

People here are outraged. There's nothing "faux" about it. You just don't see anything wrong with it because it's an FFer involved.

Touched a nerve I see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

smurgen wrote: »
    Cowen needs to get a grip. Did he pass his driving test in the end? The sooner he fully and honestly says what his offences and driving history was the sooner we can get focus on the real issues we're facing. There's a lot going on and this is a stupid bloody distraction.

If you want such clear transparency then it should be expected from every politician?

Do you agree?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus the wolves are out for Cowan, I do not for a second drink driving is acceptable

Good start.
    but the dogs on the street knew many thousands of Learner drivers drove on permits for years and years, also the accompanied driving nonsense was only enforced once that clown Ross got a hold on the Transport Brief.

So because people were always breaking the law then we shouldn't enforce the laws at any point? Do you realise what you're saying here?

You're at once complaining about how it used to be and complaining about the subsequent enforcement.

I'm sure, like myself, you've built linear models based on our road death and injury data and can see clearly that we're in a better place because of this enforcement level.
    The entire Leaner Driving situation is a farce from start to finish, equally the Licensing issue a Joke along with the NTC debacle.

Now which is it?

Is the current learner system a farce or was it a farce before?

The Lock-down only proved how ridiculous the situation is, Extending out of date licenses, extending expired NTC certs, why? Because they can. I wont get started on the NCT lift farce, what country in the world would permit a partial test FFS

Because they can?

Do you think we should do away with the NCT full stop?

The lift situation was unfortunate but was exacerbated by Covid. I've no idea what you think could have been done in that scenario. The DOE in the north just issued new full certs on everything which is hardly appropriate either now is it?

Partial test is preferable from a road safety point of view.

---

But anyway, back to Barry Cowen lying about his drink driving while unlicenced...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can we not go back to the day of no accountability?

Tell critics to commit suicide? No bother.

Taking backhanders from developers? No worries.

Illegally dodging tax? Amnesty for your good self and Gerry Hutch!

How would having penalty points or your financial status (as long as you weren't bankrupt) be relevant to being a Minister?

People in financial trouble tend to be more malleable than those who are not and would be more willing to steal or accept bribes.

See Ivor Callely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

But, in fairness, the job they chose to do is to be a representative of the electorate in the Dáil and to engage in enacting legislation we are all expected to abide by.
    Bit rich when they act like that same legislation doesn't apply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It is usual Ireland, people hate seeing someone do better. Anyone gets a bit further in life and you have the "I will take then down a peg or two"

We will never find out who it came from, Cowen is well liked in FF so I doubt it was from the party.

More to the point is why is it such a big story? to me shows how backward Ireland still is.....he committed a crime, paid for it and moved on with his life. Is that not what people are supposed to do when they made a mistake?

If he done it 20-30 times and never learned then yes go after him.

That's the sinners line on their people as well. Future coalition partners no doubt.

Advertisement