Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Don't forget that he was on a learner permit at the time. The allowances are really low for a leaner. Almost half of what it is for a full license.

Correct, and I'll still ask the same question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Correct, and I'll still ask the same question.

What's that?

Apologies. I'd think if his timeline is out by 60 mins yes it is possible to fail it. If he was on a full license he wouldn't have been done. I think that is telling.

BTW who broke this story first or where did it first appear

What's that?

Are you suggesting that it is possible (even remotely possible) to fail a test 6 hours after drinking 2 pints, if you think this is possible then obviously we are both guessing and Brian is one of those very strange people who holds the liquor in his system longer that anybody else.

Are you suggesting that it is possible (even remotely possible) to fail a test 6 hours after drinking 2 pints, if you think this is possible then obviously we are both guessing and Brian is one of those very strange people who holds the liquor in his system longer that anybody else.

See my reply above. I'd think it was based on the fact he was on a learner permit and subject to lower limits. The 2 hours per unit isn't hard and fast. It could be 3 hours for me and 2 for you for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

BTW who broke this story first or where did it first appear

Indo last Friday afternoon

BPKS wrote: »
    Indo last Friday afternoon

I think the real question should be who gave the gutter rag this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What in the name of all that's holy would anybody over the age of 40 be doing driving on a provo, I certainly know nobody over 40 doing it, and can't think of any reason other than some irregularity occurring previously with your full licence.

Bold

:rolleyes:

If you are over 40, you would more than likely have driven unaccompanied on a provisional licence 'at some stage in your life'.

See my reply above. I'd think it was based on the fact he was on a learner permit and subject to lower limits. The 2 hours per unit isn't hard and fast. It could be 3 hours for me and 2 for you for example.

'It takes your body one hour to process one standard drink and there’s no quick fix. Common examples of one standard drink include a half pint of beer / glass of wine (100ml) / pub measure of spirits (35.5ml).'

This would be for a standard size person, Barry has a larger frame so should take him less. This means that 4 hours after having 2 pints all traces
    of alcohol should have left the system

'It takes your body one hour to process one standard drink and there’s no quick fix. Common examples of one standard drink include a half pint of beer / glass of wine (100ml) / pub measure of spirits (35.5ml).'

This would be for a standard size person, Barry has a larger frame so should take him less. This means that 4 hours after having 2 pints all traces

Thats for most people. What im saying is not all people will process units in the same way.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you are over 40, you would more than likely have driven unaccompanied on a provisional licence 'at some stage in your life'.

Ah I see what you meant now, I presume everybody (well at least 99.9%) of people over 40 drove unaccompanied on a provo at some stage, what has that got to do with the price of spuds

Thats for most people. What im saying is not all people will process units in the same way.

Correct, and people with larger frames generally process units quicker
    Edit: are you suggesting that 2 hours after all traces should have left his system there was still sufficient there for him to fail his test.
    This is really stretching credulity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I thought the law was if you're on learner permit
    you're supposed to have a fully licensed driver with you
    at all times.
    That's what I was led to believe.
    I have a learner permit for a long time and I've always
    obeyed that rule.
    If I had been able to practice on my own I'd probably have
    a full licence by now.
    The only times I've driven is on lessons and now with this covid19 crap still going on I've given up all hope of driving for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I think smelly sock makes a good point though. Maybe he had four pints but then realised that the guy he'd asked to drive him was more drunk than he was. He could easily have been over the 'learners limit' by the time he was stopped outside Castletowngeoghegan or wherever.

Maybe his license lapsed when his brother had the stroke and he forgot to renew it.

If you were baloobas presumably they'd make you get out of the car.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I thought the law was if you're on learner permit
    you're supposed to have a fully licensed driver with you
    at all times.
    That's what I was led to believe.
    I have a learner permit for a long time and I've always
    obeyed that rule.
    If I had been able to practice on my own I'd probably have
    a full licence by now.

Backintheday when I was on a provisional there was no need to have a proper driver with you, that is relatively recent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ah I see what you meant now, I presume everybody (well at least 99.9%) of people over 40 drove unaccompanied on a provo at some stage, what has that got to do with the price of spuds

My point is that it's not at the Kinihan end of the criminal scale by any stretch yet holier than thou people are calling for him to be hung, drawn and quartered when he has already served his punishment for breaking the law.

I think smelly sock makes a good point though. Maybe he had four pints but then realised that the guy he'd asked to drive him was more drunk than he was. He could easily have been over the 'learners limit' by the time he was stopped outside Castletowngeoghegan or wherever.

Maybe his license lapsed when his brother had the stroke and he forgot to renew it.

If you were baloobas presumably they'd make you get out of the car.

I'm totally with you Marie, he wasn't baloobas, and he probably didn't have much more than the 4/5 pints during the day, but why come out with the pure and utter sh1te that he only had 2 pints and that was before the game. If you're going to publish a story make it at least look somewhat credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Brian is one of those very strange people who holds the liquor in his system longer that anybody else.

Probably doesn't sweat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I think the real question should be who gave the gutter rag this info.
    Rise up there Charlie

My point is that it's not at the Kinihan end of the criminal scale by any stretch yet holier than thou people are calling for him to be hung, drawn and quartered when he has already served his punishment for breaking the law.

Listen I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with him being caught and doing the time. If he had just come out and said that I would have had total respect for him (there but for the grace of God go many of us), it's this 2 pint bullsh1t I have the problem with and then throw in the provo which I find baffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

yet holier than thou people are calling for him to be hung, drawn and quartered

No, absolutely nobody is calling for that, but hey why not just make stuff up? :rolleyes:

Probably doesn't sweat either.

Ah now that's funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm totally with you Marie, he wasn't baloobas, and he probably didn't have much more than the 4/5 pints during the day, but why come out with the pure and utter sh1te that he only had 2 pints and that was before the game. If you're going to publish a story make it at least look somewhat credible.
    Well if you look back at what I was saying earlier I was in the 'hang him' brigade; on the basis that to be over the limit when he was finally breathalised (after a long long drive home) he must have had six or seven and that would make you unfit to drive on the most remote boreen in the country in 1976!) ; but I would often have got a lift home from someone with four pints in them and thought nothing of it.

So it goes from the exceptionally bad - wicked nearly to the merely foolish; you may be sure that farmers and fishermen won't think much of it.

Except that he has lied about it.

I'd assume he never had a full license. You have 10 years to renew from it lapsing afaik without googling before you have to go throught the learner permit thing again. Same with being disqualifed. It doesn't null your full license. Although it really should.

I think that if people realised if they were to lose their full license for whatever reason and had to go through the process again of being a learner etc it would be another deterent.

The man made a mistake. I hate FFG and wouldn't be fond of the Cowens. Like the brother I think this guy oozes arrogance and ignorance but i don't think he or his family deserve thos kind of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

I'm not too plussed about the conviction (if that's the right word) and the 3 month ban, and not telling Daddy (MM), and no accompanied driver. Tis all small beer (if you pardon the pun) to me. The thing that gets me is the mealy mouthed apology I caught a glimpse of on the box. A phrase that stood out was him saying at the end 'a mouthful is too much'. This sort of attitude will only bring down the legal BAC to 0. A one for all ...crushing responsible drink driver's. Whilst pissheads and people who don't give a f##k will do as they always did.
    I regularly drink and drive and have been breathalyzed on several occasions. I enjoy anything between 1 & 4 pints. And am proactive in lowering my BAC to a safe level before I drive.
    I have a very sophisticated breathalyzer and down through the years of testing myself and friends have come to a pretty good understanding of quantities , situations and limits. And I can tell you if Barry had two drinks(what does than mean...pints?) Watched a gaa game , had the lunch, and at some point later was stopped ,and at some point later was breathalyzed in a Garda station and read between 0.05 and 0.08 % BAC , then the 'two drinks' were probably two quadruple vokas! Or else Barry better get himself to a doctor quick 'coz his metabolism is truly f**Ked.

The alcohol reading in his system would suggest his version of events are more in line with reality than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

lalababa wrote: »
    This sort of attitude will only bring down the legal BAC to 0. A one for all ...crushing responsible drink driver's. Whilst

Responsible drink drivers.......FFS!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭capefear

Backintheday when I was on a provisional there was no need to have a proper driver with you, that is relatively recent

I think this was changed back in 2008.

the issues I have with what he has done are

1. if he was over the limit when he was stopped, what was he like when he got into the car, I don’t believe the 2 pints story.
    2. He claimed his full allowance when he was banned from driving for three months, how did he get up and down to dail during that time, did he still drive himself.
    3. Until he got his full licence (did he get his full licence) every time he drove to the dail alone he was breaking the law.
    4. He had no L or N plate displayed again breaking the law.
    5. how many times has he done it in the past and not got caught.

I have no political alliance to any party as I think they are all in it for themselves and what they can get out of it, but I cant see him been fired or resigning

The alcohol reading in his system would suggest his version of events are more in line with reality than yours.

2 pints - 0 alcohol reading after 4 hours
    3 pints - 0 alcohol reading after 6 hours
    4 pints - some alcohol reading after 6 hours, enough to fail test?
    5 pints - some alcohol reading after 6 hours, enough to fail test, possibly

Then add in the larger frame
    Do you accept the science?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Pedro K wrote: »
    Make your mind up, will you? As an aside, saying 'if he had a full licence he wouldn't have been breaking the law,' is pointless. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Cowen didn't have a licence. He was breaking the law.

He didn't have a full licence and he WAS breaking the law. I never denied that.

Advertisement