Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Acosta wrote: »
    Too many Irish people are happy with low grade gutter used car salesmen running our affairs. We get what we vote for. And we vote for it every time.

Yup. It drives me up the wall.

I remember years ago a Swedish minister resigned over the failure to pay a TV licence on time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sweden-minister-resigns-over-lack-of-tv-licence-1.798045

That's the standard you have to hope for in our ministers.

Within the first week we have had Moynihan, O'Dea and Calleary going off the reservation about ministerial entitlement.

Keleher and his lack of isolation.

Cowen and his drink driving and being unlicenced.

Foley and her her few bob for the Listowel school.

Week ONE!

FG have a lot to answer for for letting the cute-hoors back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I remember years ago a Swedish minister resigned over the failure to pay a TV licence on time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sweden-minister-resigns-over-lack-of-tv-licence-1.798045

Within the first week we have had Moynihan, O'Dea and Calleary going off the reservation about ministerial entitlement.

Week ONE!

Especially Heather Humphreys writing a letter to get animal cruelty charges against a man dropped. A man already banned from keeping animals.

kerry cow wrote: »
    look there are skeletons in most political backrounds , so it does not faze me to hear such a story , I really could give a damn .
    it's about get on with running the country and keep the wheels on the bus .
    it's all this hyper ****e that sells papers .

You don't give a damn and yet here you are.

Your whataboutery doesn't remove the fact that he broke the law and kept schtum.

I don't care about other hypothetical skeletons, they'll come to the fore when they need to. Cowen's arrogance brought him to this juncture and he needs to sort it out.

Bowie wrote: »
    Especially Heather Humphreys writing a letter to get animal cruelty charges against a man dropped. A man already banned from keeping animals.

Absolutely. A holy disgrace that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Week ONE!

Nobody wants guys resigning over paying a tv licence or even minior drink driving. A huge amount of people drove around on provisional licences for decades . I still think they should be allowed out around their local towns without another driver. Too much nanny state.
    We also cant get people their tests with the back log.
    I know learner drivers are more risky but we all started somewhere and the vast majority of crashes are caused by guys on full licenses.

• Advertisement

Week ONE!

Nobody wants guys resigning over paying a tv licence or even minior drink driving. A huge amount of people drove around on provisional licences for decades . I still think they should be allowed out around their local towns without another driver. Too much nanny state.
    We also cant get people their tests with the back log.
    I know learner drivers are more risky but we all started somewhere and the vast majority of crashes are caused by guys on full licenses.
    There are a lot more scandalous things going on in this state and minior stuff like this keeps it rolling on. I heard recently of a guy taken from prision and driven a fair distance to answer a charge over a 40 euro bottle if whiskey. In a prision van. So the establishment love the virtue signalers getting excited over bull****. Allows the legal eagles to keep charging away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

look there are skeletons in most political backrounds , so it does not faze me to hear such a story , I really could give a damn .

If he's willing to break the laws that are there to keep decent citizens safe from physical harm do you think that he would think twice about breaking other laws to benefit himself at the expense of the very citizens he endangered by his breaking of the road traffic act.

Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

If he's willing to break the laws that are there to keep decent citizens safe from physical harm do you think that he would think twice about breaking other laws to benefit himself at the expense of the very citizens he endangered by his breaking of the road traffic act.

Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

Where in the name of Jesus did you learn your life lessons from ? Sounds like something from Rain man. Big leap from a minior drink driving offence to pillfering the state. Most people follow the law for fear of getting caught not because they are honest.
    We all sin differently. Put down your stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You don't give a damn and yet here you are.

Your whataboutery doesn't remove the fact that he broke the law and kept schtum.

I don't care about other hypothetical skeletons, they'll come to the fore when they need to. Cowen's arrogance brought him to this juncture and he needs to sort it out.

Excuse me but what arrogance did he show?

He was under no legal obligation to highlight to everyone that he had a drink driving conviction or that he had penalty points.

So, once again, what arrogance did he show?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,779 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So after his press release, no questions from opposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So after his press release, no questions from opposition

FF: We are the party of democracy.

Also FF: No questioning our minsters about them breaking the law.

BattleCorp wrote: »

So, once again, what arrogance did he show?

He acted as though he was above the laws that are supposed to apply to all of us.

If that is not arrogance I don't know what is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Week ONE!

FG?

No mention of SF? Mary Lou lying on national tv about the death of a young man at the hands of Ira, who after his death the local SF TD wrongly accused him of been a criminal

Her newest TD going on Facebook and abusing people because she don’t like their opinion

Yes FF and FG have a lot to answer for

He acted as though he was above the laws that are supposed to apply to all of us.

How? He got caught, paid for his crime and moved on

If he got the crime squashed then yes but he didn’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Cowen's explanation has been accepted by politicians of standing like Leo Varadkar.

When any individual reaches 50 years of age they will have made mistakes, have regrets over behaviour. While Barry Cowen's behaviour was wrong it doesn't have anything like the blatant lies and jockey's neck of the Maria Bailey episode.

There's one poster in particular leading the witch hunt here. The said poster has listed every corrupt politician in Fianna Fail but none from any other! That's just blinded bias.

I'm a floating voter who has voted for all bar SF. I voted for the first time in 1997 and went FF, was FG in 2011 and 2016. No political party has a monopoly on good behaviour and ethics.

Brian Cowen was treated deplorably around 2008-2011 by the Irish media. It became really personal, about his weight etc. His daughter was bullied in school. There seems to be residual anti Cowan sentiment at play here. The aforementioned anti FF vitriol. And also an anti rural Ireland element.

Our TDs are human. Are we to wait until they're beatified before appointing them to Cabinet? Cowen's apology on TWIP was good enough for men like Leo Varadkar et al and it was good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

" look there skeletons in most political parties"
    In some cases its real skeletons

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    True, do you believe that all he had to drink that day was 2 pints (only 2 possible answers) and that he had those 2 pints before the match started at 3:30.

I don’t know, do you?

I think your going in circles now....so will let you off

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He did not act above the law. He broke the law. Received his punishment..

The issue here is a minister (TD at the time) deciding to ingest alcohol and drive.

Sorry, this is just not on. I could not trust someone who does this. And he is not just some average Joe!

Bobtheman wrote: »
    We all sin differently. Put down your stone!

I never said that he should be stoned. He's been through the legal system and that's punishment enough for me.

A government minister should at the very least be able demonstrate that they are of good repute.

The problem is that his behavior is a clear demonstration that he is not of good repute and so shouldn't be a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

walshb wrote: »
    He did not act above the law. He broke the law. Received his punishment..

The issue here is a minister (TD at the time) deciding to ingest alcohol and drive.

Sorry, this is just not on. I could not trust someone who dies this. And he is not just some average Joe!

I note your reservations.
    I will let the Taoiseach know at the first opportunity and he will assemble the firing squad

• Advertisement

Cowen's explanation has been accepted by politicians of standing like Leo Varadkar.

When any individual reaches 50 years of age they will have made mistakes, have regrets over behaviour. While Barry Cowen's behaviour was wrong it doesn't have anything like the blatant lies and jockey's neck of the Maria Bailey episode.

There's one poster in particular leading the witch hunt here. The said poster has listed every corrupt politician in Fianna Fail but none from any other! That's just blinded bias.

I'm a floating voter who has voted for all bar SF. I voted for the first time in 1997 and went FF, was FG in 2011 and 2016. No political party has a monopoly on good behaviour and ethics.

Brian Cowen was treated deplorably around 2008-2011 by the Irish media. It became really personal, about his weight etc. His daughter was bullied in school. There seems to be residual anti Cowan sentiment at play here. The aforementioned anti FF vitriol. And also an anti rural Ireland element.

Our TDs are human. Are we to wait until they're beatified before appointing them to Cabinet? Cowen's apology on TWIP was good enough for men like Leo Varadkar et al and it was good enough for me.

You won’t be popular, where is the wild accusations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He broke the law and was punished accordingly. That's not arrogance.

Clearly.

I never said that he should be stoned. He's been through the legal system and that's punishment enough for me.

A government minister should at the very least be able demonstrate that they are of good repute.

The problem is that his behavior is a clear demonstration that he is not of good repute and so shouldn't be a minister.

Ok so let’s throw out every politician that has made a mistake or something in the past.....how many will you have left?

Nobody should have made comments about his weight or attacked his family. But the man helped ruin thousands of lives by his negligence. Suicides . Marital breakdowns.
    But Cowen goes off on a pension of what a 100k a year. If he is still smarting over being called Lard arse then big
    ****en deal.
    However witch hunting people is not going to attract people to politics. Anyway in Offaly you could put the name cowen on a side of beef and they'd elect it. Morons

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Nobody should have made comments about his weight or attacked his family. But the man helped ruin thousands of lives by his negligence. Suicides . Marital breakdowns.
    But Cowen goes off on a pension of what a 100k a year. If he is still smarting over being called Lard arse then big
    ****en deal.

Cowan was a politician

I hate to tell you he didn’t do any of the above. People need to start taking some responsibility for their own actions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Fairly big story was it reported in the press at the time?

If not why not?
    I think this question is the real story here. Did we ever get an answer as to how a TD being done for drink driving and other related charges is only being revealed now. My local paper reports on every ordinary Joe Soap's court appearances so was this deliberately buried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

In fairness, that was given before the new government came in and several schools got their share.

Her problem was that she didn't realise that minister is on the national stage, so tweeting local stuff is not what you do.

She should have said xx school Listowel along with A B C d E F schools got the funding they applied for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t like him, but he was punished for what he did and didn’t try to wriggle out of it. There are many politicians whose behaviour is questionable all over the world, do we really think that little old Eire is any different? Cause if we do we’re more deluded than I thought.

I think this question is the real story here. Did we ever get an answer as to how a TD being done for drink driving and other related charges is only being revealed now. My local paper reports on every ordinary Joe Soap's court appearances so was this deliberately buried?

Has anyone actually said this was buried?

Or just now he got a bigger job suddenly people think it’s news??

I think you will find it was never buried, just it was a nothing story then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big issue is this nonsense blind party allegiances..

FFS, put your party hats down. Treat them all as the same. People. Politicians..

Cowen should be sacked..

Any politician here should be sacked!!

Advertisement