Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 reubenmcmurphy

He needs to go, no question, what an absolute GOWL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Nobody wants guys resigning over paying a tv licence or even minior drink driving. A huge amount of people drove around on provisional licences for decades . I still think they should be allowed out around their local towns without another driver. Too much nanny state.
    We also cant get people their tests with the back log.
    I know learner drivers are more risky but we all started somewhere and the vast majority of crashes are caused by guys on full licenses.

Ah come off it. You think that it's "nanny state" to have driving standards in place because we had more lax standards in place before?

And allowed drive around the local town? Does that count in Dublin as well?

There's no impediment to learn to drive and the recent backlog was caused by people ignoring the laws and not turning up for tests, As soon as the threat of confiscation and penalty points became real we had the uptick and surge of applications for tests.

The feckless, as always are the reason we have a backlog.

I don't think you understood why I referred to the Swedish minister's resignation. Not really that surprising tbf.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Cowan was a politician

I hate to tell you he didn’t do any of the above. People need to start taking some responsibility for their own actions

So regulators on 200k a year bear no responsibility ? Law makers are blameless. Economists? Some brave souls warned cowen but he ignored it. You can't expect Joe soap to be able to forecast house prices BUT you do expect highly paid officials and politicians to heed decent advice.
    Anyway I might as well be talking to my arse than you - an in bred Fianna failure.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Excuse me but what arrogance did he show?

He was under no legal obligation to highlight to everyone that he had a drink driving conviction or that he had penalty points.

So, once again, what arrogance did he show?

Eh, he made up a bullshít story in the hope it would go away. Is that not pretty arrogant?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He needs to go, no question, what an absolute GOWL

How's the view up there on your high horse?

He made a mistake 4 years ago and paid the price.

• Advertisement

FG?

No mention of SF? Mary Lou lying on national tv about the death of a young man at the hands of Ira, who after his death the local SF TD wrongly accused him of been a criminal

Her newest TD going on Facebook and abusing people because she don’t like their opinion

Yes FF and FG have a lot to answer for

Yes, FG legitimised FF by having talks with them and going into coalition with them.

SF aren't in government with FG or FF they are irrelevant to this story.

I mean, can you not understand my "rants" as written?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

As is only right. If you haven't managed to learn to drive and DO a test in the two year period of your first learner permit then why should you be on the road at all?

The problem aren't those who fail tests* it's those who don't bother turning up and continue to drove unaccompanied. These are the people are who are being targeted by the more stringent regime. When I was learning to drive it was just a free for all.

*If you're sitting multiple tests over multiple learner permits and failing well then that's another story and maybe driving isn't for you

What do you mean "didn't get around to it"?

If you want to drive on the road then learn to drive and follow the rules. It's not the State's fault you can't be bothered to follow the regulations as they stand. TBH, even at that they're too lax tbh.

Absolutely. and you know yourself, if he was arsed back in the day I'm sure Daddy or the brudder could have gotten Offaly County Council to issue him with schnakey licence. The system was a shambles right up until the noughties.

I can understand your frustrations but sans-Covid19 it really isn't impossible to learn to drive.

The hypocrisy is an issue though.

I'm not sure what barriers you are facing, but it really isn't that difficult.

You having a laugh? Driving is privilege. It is not a right.

How about rewarding fully-licenced safe drivers with cheaper insurance?
    I've worked in the insurance industry as an analyst, learners are the bottom of the rung when it comes to "reductions" and rightly.

How are the government fleecing you?

Have you failed multiple tests and resent paying for more? That's on you, it's not on the State.

You can learn. I'm not sure how Covid has stopped you with the recent lifting of restrictions.

I never did anything wrong.
    I never broke any regulations.
    I don't know what you're on about.
    Cmon really do you think driving lessons are feasible now
    when we're all supposed to stay 2 metres from each other.
    Defend bs all you want anyway I don't care.
    People like you are part of the problem.
    You're stuck in your own little bubble only thinking of yourself.
    You'd like to make it impossible for anyone to learn to drive.
    When you were learning it was a free for all so you've some bloody cheek saying insurance should be maxed out for learners.
    Shame on people like you.
    Get back to your bubble.

Eh, he made up a bullshít story in the hope it would go away. Is that not pretty arrogant?

You don't know that for sure, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Has anyone actually said this was buried?

Or just now he got a bigger job suddenly people think it’s news??

I think you will find it was never buried, just it was a nothing story then
    Surely a TD being done would be newsworthy.

How? He got caught, paid for his crime and moved on

If he got the crime squashed then yes but he didn’t

But the issue is the "cover-up" and mealy mouth contrition.

I'm glad you have such a black and white attitude for past wrongdoings. Surprising then that you never shut up about SFs past.

You wouldn't want to be accused of hypocrisy then Shef would ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm glad you have such a black and white attitude for past wrongdoings. Surprising then that you never shut up about SFs past.

What cover up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I don’t know, do you?

I think your going in circles now....so will let you off

There were only 2 answers and you came up with a third.
    Obviously neither you or I know but my question was simple enough

'do you believe that all he had to drink that day was 2 pints (only 2 possible answers) and that he had those 2 pints before the match started at 3:30.

Ok so let’s throw out every politician that has made a mistake or something in the past.....how many will you have left?

"Oh look over there..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Nobody should have made comments about his weight or attacked his family. But the man helped ruin thousands of lives by his negligence. Suicides . Marital breakdowns.
    But Cowen goes off on a pension of what a 100k a year. If he is still smarting over being called Lard arse then big
    ****en deal.
    However witch hunting people is not going to attract people to politics. Anyway in Offaly you could put the name cowen on a side of beef and they'd elect it. Morons

That's bitter. World recession. All Irish political parties would have filed out the freebies in the 2000s.

Some people always want to find someone to blame for their problems. No one forced Irish to buy houses in Bulgaria, take 100% mortgages. But many led a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.

Saying Offaly are morons is just shorthand for country people are morons.

How did he cover it up? He got caught and did his time. That's not a cover-up.

He explained how he was over the limit and you don't believe him. Fair enough, you are entitled to believe what you want.

I don't know if I believe his explanation 100% either but eitherways, he drank alcohol, drove, got caught, got punished, served his time.

So, no cover-up, no arrogance, just someone who fcuked up and paid the price.

Seems like a lot of people on here want him to pay twice.

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t like him, but he was punished for what he did and didn’t try to wriggle out of it. There are many politicians whose behaviour is questionable all over the world, do we really think that little old Eire is any different? Cause if we do we’re more deluded than I thought.

His story about what happened seems a bit "wriggly" to me.

Surely a TD being done would be newsworthy.

Has anyone said this was covered up? I haven’t seen that mentioned

Please point to this cover up?

At the moment it’s a slow day in office so they will report on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He broke the law and was punished accordingly. That's not arrogance.

His breaking the law was arrogance.

Like many in FF before, they behave as if the law is just for us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

How's the view up there on your high horse?

He made a mistake 4 years ago and paid the price.

What level of criminal behaviour is acceptable in a ministers past in your opinion?

Zebra3 wrote: »

If that was the case he would have got away with breaking the law, he didn’t

So the law is for the plebs in FF as well don’t you agree?

• Advertisement

What level of criminal behaviour is acceptable in a ministers past in your opinion?

The same level that is acceptable for me and you.

If you started a new job today, would you expect to be fired because your employer found out that you had penalty points or had a drink driving ban four years ago? Nope, you would not.

If that was the case he would have got away with breaking the law, he didn’t

So the law is for the plebs in FF as well don’t you agree?

If he had driven up to the Dail on a provisional without a qualified driver beside him anytime over the last 4 years, would that be breaking the law

Zebra3 wrote: »

Ah, good, thanks for that.

Your issue is that he is FF. Thanks for clarifying that.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    If he had driven up to the Dail on a provisional without a qualified driver beside him anytime over the last 4 years, would that be breaking the law

Do you have evidence of the following?

If you started a new job today, would you expect to be fired because your employer found out that you had penalty points or had a drink driving ban four years ago? Nope, you would not.

You would hardly be starting a new job where you were determining the rules by which every citizen in the country should operate, unless of course.......

Absolutely not, it was just a question, what do you think.
    What about the 2 pints question

Edit: Have to go now shortly, a press conference to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The video of him getting out of the Opel, when was that filmed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

People do make mistakes and we move on but this feels different. He wasn’t a young lad in his twenties before becoming an elected representative. He spoke about the drink driving legislation in the Dail in 2011 and voted on it. He was in his late forties and a member of the FF front bench. He withheld the offence from his party leader. His explanation doesn’t seem to be a full disclosure of events. Similarly, he wasn’t exactly forthcoming last year when asked whether another TD voted for him in the Dail chambers. Should we not expect transparency and honesty here?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Absolutely not, it was just a question, what do you think.
    What about the 2 pints question

Well on both case it’s the same answer

I have no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

So, if he abided by the ban, did no one in his locality or party including the Taoiseach notice he was suddenly being chauffeur driven around everywhere?

Advertisement