Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

“Deeply embarrassied” sez David Harvey.....clearly not...if the man had any shame and any less brass neck he’d have resigned....

• Registered Users Posts: 56,358 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jojofizzio wrote: »
    “Deeply embarrassied” sez David Harvey.....clearly not...if the man had any shame and any less brass neck he’d have resigned....

David McCullagh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As I said, the issue of the small level of alcohol is not going to cause a problem, but that he drove on a learner permit for years, too lazy to do a test and flouting basic driving rules day in day out, makes his position untenable.

I reckon he'll be gone by the weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

She's insinuating that he had in excess of seven penalty points when the offence occurred, meaning he wasn't holding a valid drivers license at the time. That would certainly be a resigning matter if there is any semblance of truth to it considering it hasn't been revealed by him tonight. I guess time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

She's insinuating that he had in excess of seven penalty points when the offence occurred, meaning he wasn't holding a valid drivers license at the time. That would certainly be a resigning matter if there is any semblance of truth to it considering it hasn't been revealed by him tonight. I guess time will tell.

How does she know ? If he did he’d have been banned for 3 years not 3 months.

• Advertisement

She's not a media person, that's for sure...all the more powerful.

Powerful ? Give over you sound like the pc commentators on sky about morons taking a knee as powerful, it’s a farce. All for show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

walshb wrote: »
    David McCullagh?!

Eh no.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Irish politicians are not renowned or falling in their swords. They generally have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a resignation.

But why should they? When people continually vote Lowry top of the polls in Tipperary, and Wallace gets a promotion to become an MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

A gombeen of the highest order. With FF the more you scratch the more it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But why should they? When people continually vote Lowry top of the polls in Tipperary, and Wallace gets a promotion to become an MEP.
    Cant argue with that! But two wrongs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cowen getting roasted by Road Victim Group chairwoman.

It's not going away.

But, SF.

But, he didn't kill anyone.

But, Clare Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Powerful ? Give over you sound like the pc commentators on sky about morons taking a knee as powerful, it’s a farce. All for show.

The woman is a victim of a driver on a permit who was unaccompanied.
    Yes, I do think her take down of Cowen was withering and powerful. You'll hear plenty of it tomorrow, so powerful was it. He's toast IMO, only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Sorry about being late back - was waiting for direction from party HQ :pac::pac::pac:
    I had a shock many years ago. Out for a few pints on Sat night. On account of being early in the pub, I drank an extra pint. Next day at lunchtime, was dropping the parents in law to the train, and figured "ah sure it was last night, 12 hours ago, I'll be fine". Well I was, but apparently it was a close thing according to the Garda checking me. She asked had I been drinking the night before and I said yes, so she said that's why the damn machine was beeping for so long (felt like an eternity) , it had detected alcohol but was checking now was I over or under. It seemed like it was 50/50 for a while. So there I was planking. In the end I passed. My point here is just to say that my own calculation almost landed me in it. I'm assuming he is the same. I saw someone's calculation above that suggest he must have had more than 2 pints. Perhaps or , perhaps not????

The photo of him getting into or out of a car with no plates on it, might well point to him deliberately breaking a law. Now, that's actually cut and dried and if its shown that he was driving unaccompanied or without the proper plates, there can be no defence.

Just saw a bit of PrimeTime there just now. I'd say he's a goner.

If I ever run for office, don't vote for me. I'm sure there'll be some skeleton in my wardrobe that'll do me - like the example above. Fortunately, we appear to have plenty of people with much more moral fibre than me, who can run instead.

You might forget to bring your license to the courts for a speeding summons and then "forget" to forward on the details.

He said he was convicted of speeding and as learner permit, that got more points - possibly 7? Which would mean that he should have had the learner permit revoked for a period.

He's a gonner.

He also smacks of old dodgy FF.

The woman is a victim of a driver on a permit who was unaccompanied.
    Yes, I do think her take down of Cowen was withering and powerful. You'll hear plenty of it tomorrow, so powerful was it. He's toast IMO, only a matter of time.

No chance, he was investigated and charged by the law of the land, and has now served and paid his due. Your faux outrage or a dillusional version of a female Marty Feldman waffling on will make zero difference

Darc19 wrote: »
    You might forget to bring your license to the courts for a speeding summons and then "forget" to forward on the details.

He said he was convicted of speeding and as learner permit, that got more points - possibly 7? Which would mean that he should have had the learner permit revoked for a period.

He's a gonner.

He also smacks of old dodgy FF.

Again that’s up to the Garda to follow up. I don’t like ff but
    I don’t let it cloud my judgement,
    He’s Scott free and has paid his due. Sorry to burst your bubble.

No chance, he was investigated and charged by the law of the land, and has now served and paid his due. Your faux outrage or a dillusional version of a female Marty Feldman waffling on will make zero difference

When you denigrate the woman it's easy knowing she rattled you.

My bets are he'll be gone before the week's out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Detailed records of all District Court proceedings are held by the Court so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if a journalist has gotten hold of them. Or a journalist could have just been sitting in on the District Court session itself and took a note as is standard practice all over the country.

The questions she was asking seemed oddly worded, she clearly has been told something by someone. Whether its true or not is another matter entirely, it could just be rubbish which wouldn't surprise me.

I mean it's public knowledge now that he was in court for a speeding offence three months before the drink driving offense.

He was fined so I assume he was convicted, meaning he should have got five penalty points. It would have been three if he accepted the FCPN (which begs the question why he risked going to Court over it).

Provisional drivers loose their license if they get seven or more penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's not a question of legalities. It's all perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

What age was he then on a provisional? HE looks a bit old for one

edit

i just googled him....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Cowen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It didn't even take a week for FF to embarrass themselves and give the rest of a two fingered gesture.

I really wanted the new administration to hit the ground running, give them a chance and all that, LEAD us. But MM has been silent, and now this.

Awful start. But the knives are out for sure. If MM doesn't sack him he will survive. Dreadful leadership so far. No direction regarding anything Covid related either, the mixed messages are a fkn disgrace, it's not as if Covid landed on their first day in the Dail either.

Vlad must be having a great laugh to himself.

Detailed records of all District Court proceedings are held by the Court so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if a journalist has gotten hold of them. Or a journalist could have just been sitting in on the District Court session itself and took a note as is standard practice all over the country.

The questions she was asking seemed oddly worded, she clearly has been told something by someone. Whether its true or not is another matter entirely, it could just be rubbish which wouldn't surprise me.

I mean it's public knowledge now that he was in court for a speeding offence three months before the drink driving offense.

He was fined so I assume he was convicted, meaning he should have got five penalty points. It would have been three if he accepted the FCPN (which begs the question why he risked going to Court over it).

Provisional drivers loose their license if they get seven or more penalty points.

Two things, loose change in my pocket, drivers lose their license it’s not that hard. Secondly, he doesn’t charge or convict himself does he. Of course not, the gardai do, and he’s free, punishment served. Again, not hard.

Two things, loose change in my pocket, drivers lose their license it’s
    not that hard. Secondly, he doesn’t charge or convict himself does he. Of course not, the gardai do, and he’s free, punishment served. Again, not hard.

Well it's a specific offence for failing to surrender your drivers license, the obligation is on the license holder to surrender it - not the Gardaí to seize it. That's where difficulties may arise if there were any revelations surrounding court outcomes and penalty points imposed.

Well it's a specific offence for failing to surrender your drivers license, the obligation is on the license holder to surrender it - not the Gardaí to seize it. That's where difficulties may arise if there were any revelations surrounding court outcomes and penalty points imposed.

Wow I give up.

I'm a FG/FF voter, depends on the candidate.

Cowen was a big surprise for ministerial office. His history is all bluff and blunder. No one will take him seriously. He has to go and then mm can appoint someone from the west and solve two issues in one swipe.

MM not looking strong on this one and needs to show his hand.

As I said several times, the alcohol issue was a non issue as it was well under what a full license holder could have had legally.

It's the no license, the half truths (do you REALLY believe that it was just 2 pints), the deflection and the refusal to answer questions.

If anything else comes out, he'll be gone on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He said the fact is that before the recent reforms of the system it was “not uncommon for people of all ages and levels of experience to either be on a provisional or learner permit. However this was bad practice and I clearly should have regularised my position sooner.”

---

Ah grand, everyone else was doing it.

Jesus, even the FF ministers whatabout as hard as their supporters/defenders on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oops! wrote:
    He has already brushed it aside and gone "full irish TD" mode....
    It's nothing, it's a traffic offense. Why anybody is making a big deal of it is beyond me.

Wow I give up.

So should Cowen. I don't think I have seen a worse start for a new government and I am on the wrong side of 55. Barry is making it worse by the day, with Heather getting ready for battle by the looks of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's just as well that the country has nothing else to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Darc19 wrote: »
    He has to go and then mm can appoint someone from the west and solve two issues in one swipe.

MM not looking strong on this one and needs to show his hand.

I think it would be a good move if MM did this, as it would show proper leadership. It's a bit of a moot issue in that it's only coming out now when Cowen got a ministership, but will just show up FF as still being dodgy brown evelope type people.

Advertisement