Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm still totally perplexed as to the purpose of this evening's monologue...

An habitual rule breaker is afforded the time to offer an insincere apology for the numerous offences he has committed, all while being totally unable to be challenged by his peers.

Lack of leadership from his boss is the only thing I can think of. MM allowed this monologue so go figure. MM is a bit slippery, but that's for another day. Leader of the country, nah not so sure about that, even though his heart might be in the right place. Not good enough for me at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Darc19 wrote: »
    With the learner's parent driving it.
    that would account for some yes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The vast amount of cars with L plates have one person in them

That makes it okay?

Should we not hold ministers and TDs to higher standards than a 17yo Toyota Glanza driver from Athboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I suppose the issue really is the arrogance. And the failure to take the driving test at his age WTAF?

Driving on a provisional/learner permit has rules. And speeding garners PPs also.

But here we are, not a week into the new administration and already FF is showing its arrogance. MM needs to lead not be led.

Look there are many in the Dail who are less than perfect I know this, but it is the reluctance to just hold your hand up and go is the problem in this country from every single party.

His speech may as well have said "sure everyone else drove on provisionals then, so it's no biggie".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Personal Explanation by Minister https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-07-07/21/
    On the way to drop my friend home
    he was intending to drive unaccompanied to his own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Snake in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

We get the politicians we deserve..He only answers to people in the faithful county. Why not spit the TDs between constituencies and national . So you vote for local TD and a national TD. Maybe 2 to 1.. But Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Talk about such a waste of text, speech, newstime etc. Look the man made a mistake. It was 4 years ago. He paid for it then. He learned his lesson. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Is MLD and Pearse going to stand up an apologize over last weeks jaunt up the north and to breaking soclal distancing rules and guidelines.

wonder did she get her selfie with Michelle

What relevance does that have to what I just posted?

AMKC wrote: »
    Talk about such a waste of text, speech, newstime etc. Look the man made a mistake. It was 4 years ago. He paid for it then. He learned his lesson. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

He didn't learn from anything. He's an habitual offender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I thought this story would run its course and nothing would happen.

However there are some dodgy facts being withheld here.

For example did he get penalty points for speeding and what happened to them.

The investigators will sniff a lot of issues here.

I think he is gone.

Thats what Id like to know because we all know that it wasnt that long ago that judges, sports stars and politicians could (and did) get penalty points wiped

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

A minister in his late 40's on a learners permit (does not allow you to drive on a motorway or without a person with a full licence and is only there to get you a full licence) and was over the limit for his permit and you think he gets a free pass.. Most of us.. I am his age got our licence in our late teens or early twenties.. How many laws has he broken.... I have a few but not for 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In true FF guise, nothing will happen to Cowen After all, isn't he related to BIFFO, and so is, FF royalty.
    In contrast, FG deselected both michael Lowry and Maria Bailey.

But to be fair to Cowen, his past just pails into insignificance compared to Dessie Ellis as one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A serial traffic offender. He is a politician and is expected to lead by example, our judiciary are banning lads off the road for having a bit of Cannabis in their system whereas this muck savage of the Cowan's can take the piss and end up as a minister, Sorry its not on.
    What has a couple of traffic and offenses got to do with his ability to do a job in government?

walshb wrote:
    It’s this nonchalant blasé standards-less attitude that has us with certain types people in power..
    Well I never heard of Simon Harris doing any of this type of stuff but I'd have Barry Cowen or pretty much anybody ahead of him in government.
    It's the idiots that let things like wasting billions of our money slide that has us with buffoons incapable of doing a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

eagle eye wrote: »
    What has a couple of traffic and offenses got to do with his ability to do a job in government?

Id say tbh if he was driving with an invalid permit thus uninsured his position will be untenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Well I never heard of Simon Harris doing any of this type of stuff but I'd have Barry Cowen or pretty much anybody ahead of him in government.
    It's the idiots that let things like wasting billions of our money slide that has us with buffoons incapable of doing a job.

Yeh FF wouldn't waste billions.....oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

He's a serial law breaker and therefore is not of good repute and shouldn't hold the position of minister.

I'm not supporting FF here. I despise every party in this country at the present time.
    I just look.at this Cowen stuff as unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    There's far more expensive moirtant things to be concerned about.
    A bigger farce is that a guy who was a minister all through the Celtic Tiger and part of the FF government that screwed us all is now Taoiseach. Another farce is that the Greens are back in government after the disgrace they were back then too.
    And FG supporting the two of them shows how bad they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

FG just give it to their mates

• Advertisement

He's a serial law breaker and therefore is not of good repute and shouldn't hold the position of minister.
    They are traffic offenses, he's not like a hardened criminal as you try to make it sound. Get a grip of yourself, it's minor stuff.
    Are you gonna tell me that anybody put off the road for penalty points shouldn't be in government? After all they are serial law breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Is this true? Can you link to anything thanks. I'm not saying you are fibbing, but it must be a country thing to know about these things, keep it in the parish and all that.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news-focus/60000-debt-lands-barry-cowen-in-stubbs-gazette-third-judgment-against-a-member-of-current-dail-26ccebea

Export of greyhounds - grim reading - https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2011-06-30.344.0

They are traffic offenses, he's not like a hardened criminal as you try to make it sound. Get a grip of yourself, it's minor stuff.
    Are you gonna tell me that anybody put off the road for penalty points shouldn't be in government? After all they are serial law breakers.

He operated a vehicle for years illegally and committed several other offences including drink driving, one of the most antisocial things you can do.

If he can't run a car properly he should definitely not be in charge of any government department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You comparing the amount of penalty points people have to a drink driving charge, jesus

You comparing the amount of penalty points people have to a drink driving charge, jesus

A very minor drink driving charge. At least be clear about it.

If he can't run a car properly he should definitely not be in charge of any government department.
    As I said earlier, never heard of Simon Harris with driving offenses but he hasn't a clue how to do government. Are you saying Cowen is as bad as him at government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As I said earlier, never heard of Simon Harris with driving offenses but he hasn't a clue how to do government. Are you saying Cowen is as bad as him at government?

I don't think 'them others is worse' has the same meaning when they are in coalition propping each other up.

Bowie wrote:
    I don't think 'them others is worse' has the same meaning when they are in coalition propping each other up.
    What has that got to do with what I posted. There's was an earlier post by me going through the three parties in government.
    I didn't say a good word about any if them.

No, I'm saying that Cowan is not a responsible enough person to run a government department and Martin will lose all credibility if he leaves him in position, just like Leo and Maria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Cowen is a gombeen like his brother and his father before him.

And MM is as indecisive as ever, he could have pulled a great knack here by casting off Biffo the younger and bringing in Calleary. Maybe he couldn't because he knew about it all along, and that's why he's afraid to act.

That's not to say FG don't have their apes too, remember the old walrus from down in West Cork who told a guard he'd have her sacked when she pulled him leaving the Dail?

The drink driving is only one element of this-he's been playing fast and loose with his motoring arrangements for years, which makes you wonder what else he's up to.

Welcome back FF, it's like ye never went away.

Advertisement