Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

eagle eye wrote: »
    A very minor drink driving charge. At least be clear about it.

The story stinks though. There's still a lot of questions floating around.

How many speeding fines down through the years? Were they contested in court?

Why was he driving, seemingly for years, on a learner permit and presumably unaccompanied?

Why was this kept quiet for ages before it blew up like this?

I don't think the Barry Cowen story is the most important thing in the country right now: nowhere near it. But its relative importance to other bigger issues is beside the point.

It is a clear instance of a lawmaker and public representive breaking and bending the law and not being upfront and truthful about it. That in and of itself is important.

And then coming out with a statement that leaves quite a lot unaddressed, while opposition TDs are barred from asking questions about that? Looks as dodgy as fck.

You mightn't be bothered by it, but I think it's indicative of a lack of accountability and honesty from a political representative. And in its own way it stands for a lot.

It's very hard to believe the soundbites that it's new politics these days when we have a situation here of someone seemingly playing by old rules of trying to get away with chancing their arm and half explaining things when caught, in the hope that we'll go "ah, sure it was only a minor thing" and let them off for it. Sure, that only makes it plain that you can get away with things in this country. And that's not a very good lesson if you ask me.

I think he should go. I think he probably will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What has that got to do with what I posted. There's was an earlier post by me going through the three parties in government.
    I didn't say a good word about any if them.

You compared Cowen to Harris suggesting at least he wasnt as bad as Harris. Kind of pointless is all, same government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bowie wrote: »
    You compared Cowen to Harris suggesting at least he wasnt as bad as Harris. Kind of pointless is all, same government.

It's just classic eagle eye whataboutery. I would get too worried about it.

---

If Barry Cowen was only driving because he was dropping his friend home as per his statement then are we to either assume his mate was drunker than him or that if his mate wasn't in the car with him he would have driven straight home unaccompanied?

Was the mate fully licenced for at least 2 years?

If the mate was over the legal limit then he couldn't have acted as his "accompanying driver", so which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

---

If Barry Cowen was only driving because he was dropping his friend home as per his statement then are we to either assume his mate was drunker than him or that if his mate wasn't in the car with him he would have driven straight home unaccompanied?

If the mate was over the legal limit then he couldn't have acted as his "accompanying driver", so which is it?

Put down the shovel Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,560 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Your usual flippant remark. Rolly eyes to that.
    A big who cares to all of this minor stuff.
    Martin being Taoiseach is a far bigger concern after being a big player in the government that screwed us all.
    Harris still being in government after billions of our money was lost on a children's hospital.
    The Greens in Government after the disgrace they were last time.
    SF, didn't one of them shout 'up the ra' after being elected? Did he get kicked out of his party?
    I'd have major concerns about all the above. Cowen's stuff pales in significance to all the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Martin being Taoiseach is a far bigger concern after being a big player in the government that screwed us all.
    Harris still being in government after billions of our money was lost on a children's hospital.
    SF, didn't one of them shout 'up the ra' after being elected? Did he get kicked out of his party?
    I'd have major concerns about all the above. Cowen's stuff pales in significance to all the above.

Oh look over there, nothing to see here at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Yea a bit of shouting after a few pints is so much worse than getting into your car and heading off down the country after a few pints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shouting Up The Ra is worse than drink driving.

Off all the stuff I've read defending him, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

It all feels like business as usual under FF. Senior politician, half hearted apology when something becomes public, can’t be asked questions by his peers in the Dail, leadership seemingly more concerned about FF than country, no accountability. One week in and we’re back to this sh**e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Shouting Up The Ra is worse than drink driving.

Off all the stuff I've read defending him, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So how is it going without posting about SF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

AMKC wrote: »
    Talk about such a waste of text, speech, newstime etc. Look the man made a mistake. It was 4 years ago. He paid for it then. He learned his lesson. Let's just leave it at that and move on.

I think everybody would be happy to leave it at that, except for the buulsh1t he came out and all the unanswered questions he has left. He's had lots of opportunities to put this completely to bed, and failed each time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So how is it going without posting about SF?

How about reading about what I replied too.

Up early deflecting today man?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Most people who had a provisional probably broke the law with it. Get over it. Perhaps driving on a motorway like I did.
    We all sin differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I think Cowen given the chance will make a fine minister .
    Charlie haughey like him or hate him , got the job done ,
    trump gets the job done , we might not like their styles , but in the greater scheme's of this ,the majority benefit .
    you can nt please every one .
    I would be more concerned that MN took 4 counts to be elected , but is the guy who is running the country .
    poor performance really .
    think about that , couldn't get elected by his own people in the first count .
    I hope barry survives this and is given the opportunity to redeem himself .
    he will top the pole in offaly next time out .
    I am more concerned with what Helen is going to do to police the road and all the L drivers driving singly.
    where are you helen gone camera shy .

How about reading about what I replied too.

Up early deflecting today man?

Half 8 early?

Arghus wrote: »
    The story stinks though. There's still a lot of questions floating around.

How many speeding fines down through the years? Were they contested in court?

Why was he driving, seemingly for years, on a learner permit and presumably unaccompanied?

Why was this kept quiet for ages before it blew up like this?

How many penalty points, and when
    How did he 'regularise' (I must admit this is a new one on me, everybody I know did a driving test and got a full licence, I never heard of any of them regularising)

I wonder if Mickey has asked these questions (would seem a reasonable thing to do) and if he now has the clarity that unfortunately all the rest of us do not have.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Most people who had a provisional probably broke the law with it. Get over it. Perhaps driving on a motorway like I did.
    We all sin differently.

We do, but when you sin you have to go to confession and tell the priest what you did, with no porkies

kerry cow wrote: »

He tops the pole every time, his canvassers get out early with their ladders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Half 8 early?

For your typical shinner, yes, it’s very early.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Maybe start a thread about them then

• Advertisement

For your typical shinner, yes, it’s very early.

Yeah a real early bird....

Funny watching the soldiers sent out to battle with their main armoury being whataboutery

kerry cow wrote: »
    I think Cowen given the chance will make a fine minister .
    Charlie haughey like him or hate him , got the job done ,
    trump gets the job done , we might not like their styles , but in the greater scheme's of this ,the majority benefit .
    you can nt please every one .
    I would be more concerned that MN took 4 counts to be elected , but is the guy who is running the country .
    poor performance really .
    think about that , couldn't get elected by his own people in the first count .
    I hope barry survives this and is given the opportunity to redeem himself .
    I am more concerned with what Helen is going to do to police the road and all the L drivers driving singly.
    where are you helen gone camera shy .

I hate to tell you it doesn’t matter if they got in on 1st or 50th count, the politician is in

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Funny watching the soldiers sent out to battle with their main armoury being whataboutery

Why don’t you say “whataboutery” again, it might cover up the fact you haven’t a clue what your talking about

Yesterday you tried to be scientific but you couldn’t even get that right......

Why don’t you say “whataboutery” again, it might cover up the fact you haven’t a clue what your talking about

Yesterday you tried to be scientific but you couldn’t even get that right......

Whataboutery.

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

xl500 wrote: »

This is what he has let himself in for, without clarifying the position people are going to keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I think it’s obvious there is a “campaign” against him. But by who?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

INM and the editor for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

It could be the case it is not a campaign against 'him', per se, it could be a move by some members of the FF party who are disgruntled or angered at the party joining forces with FG, some of these FF'ers may have even more stories to dish out over the next while concerning others. Fact is, there are many FF members not happy with the alliance, plus the fact there was no ministerial position for any FF TD in the west, it could be a multitude of people leaking and will continue to leak.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement