Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eagle eye wrote: »
    A very minor drink driving charge. At least be clear about it.

Go way ouha that...

He gargled, and got in his car and drove....end of....

Was stopped circa 90 minutes into his journey.....

That is serious....and no way should he be in any position of government responsibility...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

For your typical shinner, yes, it’s very early.

Yeh do you not know the Army Council in Belfast have a Zoom call with all members at 8am every day to tell us all what to do and say today.

We then shout Up the Ra 10 times while Gerry Adams fires a few rounds in the air before we log off.

Very refreshing start to the day

Anyway back on topic to the Drink Driving scumbag, I wonder what today will bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

walshb wrote: »
    Go way ouha that...

He gargled, and got in his car and drove....end of....

Was stopped circa 90 minutes into his journey.....

That is serious....and no way should he be in any position of government responsibility...

Yes it is serious and he paid the price for it.

That is what the legal system is based on, reform. He made an error, paid the price and moved on with his life.

Why exactly should he not in a position of power? apart from the fact he is a FF TD which seems to be the biggest problem people have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

buried wrote: »
    It could be the case it is not a campaign against 'him', per se, it could be a move by some members of the FF party who are disgruntled or angered at the party joining forces with FG, some of these FF'ers may have even more stories to dish out over the next while concerning others. Fact is, there are many FF members not happy with the alliance, plus the fact there was no ministerial position for any FF TD in the west, it could be a multitude of people leaking and will continue to leak.

It could be anybody, it's hard to blame the rag for running with it. My suspicion is that it's coming from a fellow soldier, but nothing to back that up obviously

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I always find I look at usernames and wonder do they reflect the person behind the internet mask. For certain in your case I think we can all safely say this is not the case......

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think it’s obvious there is a “campaign” against him. But by who?

By me.

I forced those pint in to him before forcing him to drive home.

I also forced him break the law the other times he was caught speeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

If it dosnt involve SF he rarely has an opinion on anything

That is what the legal system is based on, reform. He made an error, paid the price and moved on with his life.

Why exactly should he not in a position of power? apart from the fact he is a FF TD which seems to be the biggest problem people have?

Why doesn't he just come out and give all the details about his driving history, clear it up once and for all, and everybody could then move on to the next topic

buried wrote: »
    It could be the case it is not a campaign against 'him', per se, it could be a move by some members of the FF party who are disgruntled or angered at the party joining forces with FG, some of these FF'ers may have even more stories to dish out over the next while concerning others. Fact is, there are many FF members not happy with the alliance, plus the fact there was no ministerial position for any FF TD in the west, it could be a multitude of people leaking and will continue to leak.

If the party had any issue it is with MM and not Cowan. I think you find he is well liked across the party, Cowan that is. Also if they wanted to go after Cowan personally they would have done prior to his announcement so they could put themselves forward

I think you will find it was a rival party who wanted to turn the news story this week. Its not like this was covered up, I would expect politicians in his area all knew

Because he and others in society should be held to higher standards....

Mistake my arse.....it was intentional drink driving on a learner license. It was an intentional decision. The only mistake was that he got caught.

This is not a mistake.....not for a TD. TDs and others in society are supposed to be guiding figures, leading figures, standard setters etc....

I wish the man no harm, but he should not be in a ministerial position for this.

The whole affair stinks.

This happened 4 years ago, not 40 years ago, when drink driving was seen by many as even a badge of honour....people used to gloat about it...

He has shown that he cannot be trusted. Not just the decision to drive whilst having alcohol in his system, but the other issues around it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Because he's a habitual offender and has displayed that he has piss poor judgement.
    Either one of which should bar anybody from holding high office.

As I said yesterday, a stupid question was stupid the first time, repeating it ad nauseam doesn't change that

Because he's a habitual offender and has displayed that he has piss poor judgement.
    Either one of which should bar anybody from holding high office.

So do you expect all of the politicians to be held to the same level?

As I said yesterday, a stupid question was stupid the first time, repeating it ad nauseam doesn't change that

But surely you must have an opinion, it's a very simple question, do you have an opinion.

Of course they should be

Ministers at least.

Because he and others in society should be held to higher standards....

Mistake my arse.....it was intentional drink driving on a learner license. It was an intentional decision. The only mistake was that he got caught.

This is not a mistake.....not for a TD. TDs and others in society are supposed to be guiding figures, leading figures, standard setters etc....

I wish the man no harm, but he should not be in a ministerial position for this.

The whole affair stinks.

This happened 4 years ago, not 40 years ago, when drink driving was seen by many as even a badge of honour....people used to gloat about it...

He has shown that he cannot be trusted. Not just the decision to drive whilst having alcohol in his system, but the other issues around it as well.

:p

So you expect the same from every politician then?

Ministers at least.

So now you just want him sacked from a Minister position and just be a TD???

Why shouldn't we, particularly if they are in/running for ministerial office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This will hopefully be the new theme of D.E 2020.

"Cowen has been punished for his mistakes at the time by the law of the land, and is more than entitled to move on"

I agree by the way.

Will be interesting when Someone mentions something about Dessie Ellis (for example) though in the future.

They can kiss those witty one liner retorts a solemn cheerio now.

• Advertisement

But surely you must have an opinion, it's a very simple question, do you have an opinion.

Have I not answered that stupid question 10 times already?

Eh, kind of, yes...

That is what standards are....

Nobody is asking for Mary fooking Poppins type figures here

Just some decent standards and law abiding....

Drink driving is serious.....

So now you just want him sacked from a Minister position and just be a TD???

Would you quote where I said anything different? Because all I have said from the start is that he's not of good repute and shouldn't be a minister.

Have I not answered that stupid question 10 times already?

You haven't, and I'll be delighted when you do, I can move on

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Eh, kind of, yes...

Drink driving is serious.....

Not in Ireland it isn't

And driving without passing a test is positively encouraged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats what Id like to know because we all know that it wasnt that long ago that judges, sports stars and politicians could (and did) get penalty points wiped

There's definitely some penalty points missing here.

Only for McCabe, they would be still wiping them for the important people known to FFG.
    The Garda Ombudsman found one officer cancelled 744 fixed charge notices across 17 counties during the four years it examined.
    The Ombudsman Commission believes that the considerable cost to the public of continuing our investigation into a second phase - of investigating specific cancellations instances with a view to identifying possible behaviour of a criminal nature or constituting a breach of discipline - would outweigh the benefit

Why shouldn't we, particularly if they are in/running for ministerial office.

Ok so you want all TDs across the board to be held up to your specific requirements of what they should be?

Could you list those out please? Thanks

Not in Ireland it isn't

And driving without passing a test is positively encouraged.

Drink driving is serious in Ireland.

And many people abide by the laws, and many, don't drive at all with alcohol in their systems

Years ago it was not at all serious...I know this. It's damn serious now

There's definitely some penalty points missing here.

Only for McCabe, they would be still wiping them for the important people known to FFG.

Proof of the missing penalty points?

• Advertisement

Ok so you want all TDs across the board to be held up to your specific requirements of what they should be?

Could you list those out please? Thanks

Stop being obtuse and silly

We get it, you don't value or recognize standards in public office and society...

Advertisement