Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so you want all TDs across the board to be held up to your specific requirements of what they should be?

Could you list those out please? Thanks

Twould be simple enough really, obey the laws of the land, and if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation, without bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

walshb wrote: »
    Drink driving is serious in Ireland.

And many people abide by the laws, and many, don't drive at all with alcohol in their systems

Years ago it was not at all serious...I know this. It's damn serious now

When was it not serious? drink driving as far I am concerned was always serious

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Twould be simple enough really, obey the laws of the land, and if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation, without bullsh1t.

But he did admit it, have you read what happened?

He got caught, admit it, got charged, got a ban, done the ban and moved on.....

You now have decided that the story is bullsh*t without a shred of evidence. Sorry the only bulls**t around here is coming from you. You don't even know what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Barry Cowen incident has been a godsend to SF and FG, only for it the issue with the SF councils and MMA fighter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-suspends-party-activity-in-dublin-sw-following-holohan-mayor-nomination-1.4297771

Would be the top news story in the media.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-mep-apologises-for-not-self-isolating-after-flying-in-from-brussels-for-taoiseachs-election-39341865.html

This would be all over the media as well.

Its all been deflected by the Barry Cowen incident.

Stop being obtuse and silly

We get it, you don't value or recognize standards in public office and society...

I value it, I am asking a simple question which so far everyone that has such high standard for Cowan can't answer the question.

If you want to hold him to such high level of scrutiny then shouldn't all politicians get the same level?

If you want that to happen, what is your definition.

Do you understand the word "obtuse" because what I have posted is the exact opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You now have decided that the story is bullsh*t without a shred of evidence. Sorry the only bulls**t around here is coming from you. You don't even know what happened

What about the years of operating a vehicle illegally?

You obviously missed the bit 'if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation'

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

How is a 3 month ban anything like appropriate for Driving unaccompanied on a learner licence and under the influence (and probably in violation of his insurance t&c's)

Its embarrassingly pathetic.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The Barry Cowen incident has been a god send to SF and FG only for it the issue with the SF councils and MMA fighter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-suspends-party-activity-in-dublin-sw-following-holohan-mayor-nomination-1.4297771

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-mep-apologises-for-not-self-isolating-after-flying-in-from-brussels-for-taoiseachs-election-39341865.html

The elephant in the room so to speak finally gets mentioned

Who had most to gain from this story been in the news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mariaalice wrote: »
    The Barry Cowen incident has been a godsend to SF and FG, only for it the issue with the SF councils and MMA fighter

There is a Sinn Fein thread on here, whats that got to do with the drunk driver?

• Advertisement

How is a 3 month ban anything like appropriate for Driving unaccompanied on a learner licence and under the influence (and probably in violation of his insurance t&c's)

Its embarrassingly pathetic.

It's the law.....

I value it, I am asking a simple question which so far everyone that has such high standard for Cowan can't answer the question.

If you want to hold him to such high level of scrutiny then shouldn't all politicians get the same level?

Do you understand the word "obtuse" because what I have posted is the exact opposite.

Was that not answered already, the same should of course apply to all politicians, more importantly to those in/seeking ministerial office. I presume you can understand that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The elephant in the room so to speak finally gets mentioned

Who had most to gain from this story been in the news

The Irish Public!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Someone who is of good repute.

A habitual offender who doesn't pay his bills doesn't meet the standard.

You obviously missed the bit 'if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation'

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

You have decided he isnt tell the truth without a shred of evidence. Sorry that is your problem and nobody else's. Making up more bulls**t stories won't hide that

Find some evidenece then come back. In case you didn't realize the Irish system is based on "innocent till proven guilty".

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No you are being deliberately silly

Years ago it was not at all seen as being as bad as it is in recent years. It was bad, of course, just that society did not care near as much as they do today.

Similar to smoking in public places....society changes their views and tolerances...

It is very much frowned upon today and recently compared to years ago...

Sure mandatory alcohol testing was only brought in in 2006....

Someone who is of good repute.

A habitual offender who doesn't pay his bills doesn't meet the standard.

So what is someone of "good repute"

What is your definition?

You have decided he isnt tell the truth without a shred of evidence. Sorry that is your problem and nobody else's. Making up more bulls**t stories won't hide that

Find some evidenece then come back. In case you didn't realize the Irish system is based on "innocent till proven guilty".

You obviously missed the bit 'if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation'. If he provided an accurate detailed explanation everybody would have moved on (well I certainly would)

There is a Sinn Fein thread on here, whats that got to do with the drunk driver?

What drunk driver?

No you are being deliberately silly

Years ago it was not at all seen as being as bad as it is in recent years. It was bad, of course, just that society did not care near as much as they do today.

Similar to smoking in public places....society changes their views and tolerances...

It is very much frowned upon today and recently compared to years ago...

Sure mandatory alcohol testing was only brought in in 2006....

I can tell you when I grew up it was seen as very very bad to be caught drink driving. THe people I grew up with, neighbours/family/friends etc seen it very serious and cared about it a lot.

So sorry if you think it was ok but don't try to tar that brush on everyone else

It seems you dont understand the law change that happened to make it mandatory, do you think prior to 2006 everyone was ok to drive around hammered as they didn't have to get tested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you having a laugh? people would regularly have a feed of pints and drive home. nobody took much notice. some sitting TDs still think you should be able to do that.

You obviously missed the bit 'if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation'. If he provided an accurate detailed explanation everybody would have moved on (well I certainly would)

Any evidence yet??

are you having a laugh? people would regularly have a feed of pints and drive home. nobody took much notice. some sitting TDs still think you should be able to do that.

Maybe in places you visit, I think you will find some of us have more respect for ourselves and other people. Standards of course are not the same everywhre in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭buried

Being discussed again now on RTE radio 1

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It seems you dont understand the law change that happened to make it mandatory, do you think prior to 2006 everyone was ok to drive around hammered as they didn't have to get tested?

No. It was never ok to drink drive.

You are missing the point....

It was not seen as such a bad thing by wider society years ago as it is seen today. It's very much frowned upon now, like smoking in public places would be..

Drink driving now is more seriously viewed and seen today and recently compared to many years ago...

And you make a point here.....mandatory testing certainly warned society that we were coming down harder on those who choose to drink and drive.

Less people would be likely to risk it...

Any evidence yet??

There is a lady on the wireless now with a list of questions that have been left unanswered by Brian, if he had answered those questions people would have moved on, until he answers those questions it is difficult to see how he can move on. The lady on the wireless is saying that he never passed a driving test, the questions are mounting up.

No. It was never ok to drink drive.

You are missing the point....

It was not seen as such a bad thing by wider society years ago as it is seen today. It's very much frowned upon now, like smoking in public places would be..

Drink driving now is more seriously viewed and seen today and recently compared to many years ago...

And you make a point here.....mandatory testing certainly warned society that we were coming down harder on those who choose to drink and drive.

Less people would be likely to risk it...

Sorry I am not missing any point. Drink driving was always serious with everyone I know. I can tell you it was more than "frowned upon". The mandatory testing made no difference.

Nobody I know would ever "risk it"

There is a lady on the wireless now with a list of questions that have been left unanswered by Brian, if he had answered those questions people would have moved on, until he answers those questions it is difficult to see how he can move on. The lady on the wireless is saying that he never passed a driving test, the questions are mounting up.

Has the "wireless" provided any evidence?

Sorry I am not missing any point. Drink driving was always serious with everyone I know. I can tell you it was more than "frowned upon". The mandatory testing made no difference.

Nobody I know would ever "risk it"

How old are you, 20 or something?

You're talking nonsense if you are trying to say that today and recently vs. years ago there was the same view and tolerance of drinking and driving in society...

Maybe in just your wee circle this was the case....

I am speaking about general Irish society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Nothing whats so ever, its a disgrace that he has not resigned his ministry or had not been sacked.

He should not be hung drawn and quartered though and could remain a TD.

Advertisement