Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Has the "wireless" provided any evidence?

Not evidence, just more questions, left unanswered they won't go away.

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    There is a lady on the wireless now with a list of questions that have been left unanswered by Brian, if he had answered those questions people would have moved on, until he answers those questions it is difficult to see how he can move on. The lady on the wireless is saying that he never passed a driving test, the questions are mounting up.

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

I said it last night,, 'prepare to hear that woman on media' today. SHe is Chairwoman of the Road Victims Assoc, and lost her husband to an unlicensed driver.
    She was on PrimeTime last night...has a very powerful case against Cowen and is accursing him of outright lies.

It isn't going away for Barry or Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

buried wrote: »
    Being discussed again now on RTE radio 1

Isn't it great that the world is in such a good state, that this non story is still making the headlines.
    It's not like there is anything else more important to worry about I suppose...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Isn't it great that the world is in such a good state, that this non story is still making the headlines.

I think you will find it is not a non story, thats why the general public are disgusted with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Its not a non story. Drink driving is despicable and someone convicted of it 4 years ago has no business being a minister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe in places you visit, I think you will find some of us have more respect for ourselves and other people. Standards of course are not the same everywhre in Ireland

you said

Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
    When was it not serious? drink driving as far I am concerned was always serious

the answer is not so long ago. it was not always taken seriously. nothing to do with "places i visit" whatever that nonsense means.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it is a way of marking FF's cards early in the term. And a warning to the Greens and FG if they stay silent on this.

You will not get away with slipping into old FF mode...Martin promised us they had changed...let's see the change Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

walshb wrote: »
    How old are you, 20 or something?

You're talking nonsense if you are trying to say that today and recently vs. years ago there was the same view and tolerance of drinking and driving in society...

Maybe in just your wee circle this was the case....

I am speaking about general Irish society

You are trying to say everyone in Ireland thought it was ok, no they didnt.

Doesnt matter if i am 5 or 50 it doesnt change that fact.

you said

Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
    When was it not serious? drink driving as far I am concerned was always serious

the answer is not so long ago. it was not always taken seriously. nothing to do with "places i visit" whatever that nonsense means.

The answer is yes it was. Maybe not by some but loads of p[eople including anyone I know always took it serious

the vast majority didnt have a problem with it. it was normalised.

• Advertisement

the vast majority didnt have a problem with it. it was normalised.

So a minute ok it was everyone, now vast majority. Maybe in 10 - 12 posts we will get the truth

Certain parts of ireland thoiught it was ok, still some do today. That does not mean everyone should be accused to have the same low standards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Any evidence yet??
    jeez everyone knows it was more than 2 pints, I'd say it was 6, think about it

So a minute ok it was everyone, now vast majority. Maybe in 10 - 12 posts we will get the truth

Certain parts of ireland thoiught it was ok, still some do today. That does not mean everyone should be accused to have the same low standards

i didnt say everyone. take that up with whoever did. and it was certainly considered normal in Dublin.

Any evidence?

The "everyone knows" is not true is it?

People on this thread seem to have a strange issue with telling the difference between fact and fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Go on..

Society in general does not mean everybody in Ireland.

You are being deliberately obtuse..

My father, for example always thought it as wrong and bad. But plenty others I know, regularly did it, and there was no real problem/revulsion or shame.

i didnt say everyone. take that up with whoever did. and it was certainly considered normal in Dublin.

I lived in Dublin and it wasnt in our area, everyone walked to the local and nobody took a car. No one had a need for a car.

It appears that Mount St has ruled out anybody 'thinking about it'.

I lived in Dublin and it wasnt in our area, everyone walked to the local and nobody took a car. No one had a need for a car.

are we talking about last week or 20-30 years ago?

Oglaigh84 wrote: »
    Its not a non story. Drink driving is despicable and someone convicted of it 4 years ago has no business being a minister

Where do we draw the line then? Anyone with any kind of conviction for anything should be barred from being a minister. Cool, that rules out most of Sinn Fein and the looney left parties then.

walshb wrote: »
    Go on..

Society in general does not mean everybody in Ireland.

You are being deliberately obtuse..

No please you go on....you think it was ok to go around driving while drunk then get the hump when pointed out decent society doesnt

• Advertisement

No please you go on....you think it was ok to go around driving while drunk then get the hump when pointed out decent society doesnt

you dont represent "decent" society.

A huge difference from being slightly over the limit and driving drunk. The latter is just an outright lie. Both are wrong but one is much worse than the other. Note to self - can't believe I'm defending a FF minister.

Any evidence?

The "everyone knows" is not true is it?

People on this thread seem to have a strange issue with telling the difference between fact and fiction.

It does not matter if he had 12 Pints, 6 Pints, 2 Pints, Half a Pint, 10 Pints the day before, he was over the legal limit when stopped and was still over the limit when he got to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What are you on about?

I never thought it was ok. And I have said this..

You trying to say attitudes and tolerance to drink driving are the same today and recently compared to years ago is utter bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

You out on the boat today Francie?

Having trouble playing the ball?

Where do we draw the line then? Anyone with any kind of conviction for anything should be barred from being a minister. Cool, that rules out most of Sinn Fein and the looney left parties then.

anybody with multiple convictions for drink driving and speeding while spending years driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence definitely shouldn't be considered.

A huge difference from being slightly over the limit and driving drunk. The latter is just an outright lie. Both are wrong but one is much worse than the other. Note to self - can't believe I'm defending a FF minister.

What would you think of someone who was just over the limit when caught but had been driving for maybe 1 to 2 hours before being caught.

Having trouble playing the ball?

yeah, they keep swinging and missing.

Well sure if were going to make it a SF thread anyway, How many Sinn Fein TDs currently have convictions? It is def not most so stop making up lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think you are deliberately trying to apply modern values to different times.

I never personally thought it was OK to drink drive but pretending that low-level drink-driving was always considered morally reprehensible is ridiculous.

I'm not that old and even when I was young having a "few" pints and driving home was seen as completely normal.

At no point was it considered OK to drive genuinely drunk however. The problem was that "few" pints which is still contended by some TD's in the Dáil to this day.

Now, with Barry Cowen, personally he was so minorly over the limit - wouldn't even have been with a full license - that I'm not overly bothered about the inherent drink-driving, he suffered the penalties and that's that.

He has more serious questions to answer though arising from the incident rather than about the incident itself.

Advertisement