Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

you dont represent "decent" society.

That's a poor attempt at attacking the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I suspect the soldiers would love to transfer this into a 'which party has the best criminals' thread, imo this has nothing to do with any other party, and indeed should have nothing to do with other FF tds either (other than the fact that MM appears to adding to the confusion at best), this is about Cowen, what happened, and his suitability for a Ministerial role

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That's a poor attempt at attacking the poster.

not attacking you just your notion your opinion is that of "decent" society. you are also spectacularly ill-informed on how widespread and accepted drink driving was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

This is a witch hunt a sneaky,sneary witch hunt. The poor fella may as well step-down and go foraging in the forest for food and get a good fishing rod and go fishing also.. it's desperate,.he has apologised,he didn't kill anyone..and he's not responsible for all the drink driving,Learner permit injuries and deaths on Irish roads. Reminds me of bullying on social media among teenagers. Some people are so nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is a witch hunt a sneaky,sneary witch hunt. The poor fella may as well step-down and go foraging in the forest for food and get a good fishing rod and go fishing also.. it's desperate,.he has apologised,he didn't kill anyone..and he's not responsible for all the drink driving,Learner permit injuries and deaths on Irish roads. Reminds me of bullying on social media among teenagers. Some people are so nasty.

Look. Simple: he should resign or be removed.

No witch hunt or bullying. Just step aside. End of!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

not attacking you just your notion your opinion is that of "decent" society. you are also spectacularly ill-informed on how widespread and accepted drink driving was.

Unfortunealtly your ill-informed and then throw round snide little comments

IN reality if you are talking about 70/80's and you referenced Dublin most people did not drive at all, they walked to the pub as everyone went to the local. So you had loads of little pubs sitting in the middle of neighbourhoods that everyone went to, taking a car was more hassle than it was worth

It was only with the movement of people around and less likely to go to the local that people used cars but at this stage in the 90's drink/driving was certainly not common and was a big deal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

walshb wrote: »
    Look. Simple: he should resign or be removed.

No witch hunt or bullying. Just step aside. End of!

Yeah and he would still be a TD he is not going to starve or be hung but an apology is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The truth, usually being somewhere in the middle, is probably along the lines of two pints of creamy stout before the match, and two more with a bit of dinner afterwards, and then a bowl of "Ah sure I'm grand, a seasoned fella like me, what could go wrong!!" as many of us of a certain <ahem> vintage have done back in Elder Days.

He was a bloody fool, especially for going around for years in his position with a provisional license/learner permit, but I don't think it's a hanging offence and I don't think he'll do it again.

Unfortunealtly your ill-informed and then throw round snide little comments

IN reality if you are talking about 70/80's and you referenced Dublin most people did not drive at all, they walked to the pub as everyone went to the local. So you had loads of little pubs sitting in the middle of neighbourhoods that everyone went to, taking a car was more hassle than it was worth

It was only with the movement of people around and less likely to go to the local that people used cars but at this stage in the 90's drink/driving was certainly not common and was a big deal.....

you have a very different memory of 70/80s dublin to me. assuming it is a memory of yours and not something you heard from somebody else.

He could have cleared this up very simply, then there would have been no need for witch hunts or foraging in the forests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If he can't pass a driving test or at least abide by the simple rule of not drinking alcohol before operating a motor vehicle then how on God's earth is he suppose to run the agriculture section in Ireland?

Bloody hell you lived a very sheltered lifestyle back then, were you scoring (birds not the other stuff) in your local pub, did you ever head off for Sloopys, the TV Club, Ierne, National, Olympic or any of them other dens of iniquity.

You are allowed to think on this one.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If he can't pass a driving test or at least abide by the simple rule of not drinking alcohol before operating a motor vehicle then how on God's earth is he suppose to run the agriculture section in Ireland?

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I'm 33, how come?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not the crime of the century, but FF have dealt with it poorly enough, which facilitated the emergence of further issues. Maybe they've been out of govt so long they forgot this comes with the territory.

Nice to see Cowan over the coals to be honest, always thought he was an utter spoofer.

This thread reminds me of the Violet Anne Wynne thread with all the reasonable questions and pathetic whataboutery as answers, except the roles of the posters are reversed.

I'm 33, how come?

Oh, I was just wondering - your opinion on the Cowen matter is fairly typical for your age range, I should say. You would have spent your teenage years in a time when drinking and driving was starting to be put on a level with murdering little babies with a breadknife. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Oh, I was just wondering - your opinion on the Cowen matter is fairly typical for your age range, I should say. You would have spent your teenage years in a time when drinking and driving was starting to be put on a level with murdering little babies with a breadknife. :D

I needed a phrase to put into a speech I'm doing - I'm plagiarising the above as its perfect for what I want to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Anyway Barry has a state car for the moment so at least this can't happen while he is on the front bench! Good reason to leave him there ; one less dangerous driver on the road!

Of course he won't be a competent minister in a fit ; but his brand of waffle and plain speaking (from a man born with a silver spoon up his arse!) will keep the inbred mucksavages happy and farming and fishing is no longer an important ministry!

Best thing is to leave him there!

...farming and fishing is no longer an important ministry!...

Inbred mucksavage here, I do apologise but... are you an actual alien?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

This is clearly biased against culchies

A Dublin based TD can get the bus or the Dort home

A country TD does not have this luxury

I think it should be OK to drive (very carefully) if drink is taken

Some drives improve after a few drinks as it can settle the nerves

So please let country lads have a few pints and let them drive (very carefully)

• Advertisement

Sorolla wrote: »

Is that you Michael?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Let the new minister be judged on his performance as minister for Agriculture.

He is a fine GAA man and that counts for a lot among the simple folk of Ireland that still eat their dinner in the middle of the day and you cannot beat a good feed of spuds around the time of the Angelus

Show me a man who has never ever made a mistake and I will show you a man that has never done anything at all

It was a display of great courage for the minster to stand up in the Dail last night and once again apologize for a little mishap 4 years ago

let bygones be bygones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

3/10

1 of those points was awarded for your use of the word "dort".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your sounding like one of the Healy Rae's....didn't they suggest people should be allowed a badge so they can drink and drive? Fecking Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Inbred mucksavage here, I do apologise but... are you an actual alien?? :pac:

It's like 7% of jobs (interpreted very widely) and let's face it lads ; farmers vote for the likes of Cowen so they deserve him.

It's like 7% of jobs (interpreted very widely) and let's face it lads ; farmers vote for the likes of Cowen so they deserve him.

I'm not an authority on who famers vote for - for what it's worth, the bigger, more prosperous farmers tend to be of a Fine Gael hue - but 7% of jobs is a lot of jobs, and everyone eats food! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyway Barry has a state car for the moment so at least this can't happen while he is on the front bench! Good reason to leave him there ; one less dangerous driver on the road!

Of course he won't be a competent minister in a fit ; but his brand of waffle and plain speaking (from a man born with a silver spoon up his arse!) will keep the inbred mucksavages happy and farming and fishing is no longer an important ministry!

Best thing is to leave him there!

He doesn't get a state car as Minister for Agriculture and the Marine, that was done away with in 2011.

Taoiseach, Tánaiste, Minister for Justice and now Minister for Foreign Affairs are the only ones at cabinet who are given a State car. The rest of them get an allowance to employ a driver and use their own cars.

Attorney General, Chief Justice, Director of Public Prosecutions and Garda Commissioner also get one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I only caught 5 mins of Prime Time last night but some lady called Mary was on representing a road safety organisation.

She said Cowen called her earlier that day and she repeated some list of questions she had in relation to his driving record and offences.
    Cowen promised he would answer all those questions in the Dail later that evening.

She said he did not answer a single question.

It happened only 4 years ago, even a frozen caveman at that stage would know it's wrong. And the fact he only got suspended for 3 months is very suspicious when it's nearly a guaranteed 2 year suspension.

• Advertisement

It happened only 4 years ago, even a frozen caveman at that stage would know it's wrong. And the fact he only got suspended for 3 months is very suspicious when it's nearly a guaranteed 2 year suspension.

nothing suspicious about the suspension he received. he was above the limit for someone on a learners permit but below the lower limit for those with a full licence. a 3 month suspension is the penalty for blood alcohol level.

Advertisement