Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any evidence?

The "everyone knows" is not true is it?

People on this thread seem to have a strange issue with telling the difference between fact and fiction.
    he never dd before that day he never dd after that day, he had 2 pints around 1 o'clock went to the match had a big meal and got caught that nite at around 8 o'clock, i bet he even wishes now he had made up a different story
    Only diehard ff people believe his story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Sorolla wrote: »
    This is clearly biased against culchies

A Dublin based TD can get the bus or the Dort home

A country TD does not have this luxury

I think it should be OK to drive (very carefully) if drink is taken

Some drives improve after a few drinks as it can settle the nerves

So please let country lads have a few pints and let them drive (very carefully)
    Although I strongly suspect that this poster is taking the urine, I do always chuckle when people think the dart, luas, and bus encompass all of Dublin. There are parts of Dublin that are virtually untouched by public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

But it was the first and last time he done it.

He said it so it must be true.

Gerry was never in the ra either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Pedro K wrote: »
    Although I strongly suspect that this poster is taking the urine, I do always chuckle when people think the dart, luas, and bus encompass all of Dublin. There are parts of Dublin that are virtually untouched by public transport.
    have ye no bicycles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

But it was the first and last time he done it.

He said it so it must be true.

Gerry was never in the ra either.

This thread is about Cowan. What's the Ra got to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

have ye no bicycles

Or horses and carts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So you're saying he's in the clear because the regulations shouldn't apply to him in a hypothetical scenario where he has a full licence he would have been okay?

I didn't say anything of the kind. He's not in the clear, he WAS guilty of an offence, he WAS punished. End of.

What irks me is the outraged posers who misrepresent the nature of the offence, liken him to someone who drives while drunk and say that doing what he did is of such low moral behaviour that he should resign from government forthwith.

That's histrionic, mob-led self-righteous virtue signalling nonsense, in my view.

And I'm speaking as someone who has never voted FF in his life.

This thread is about Cowan. What's the Ra got to do with it?

I believe Gerry is lying through his teeth when he claims he was never in the ra.

The very same as cown and his first and last time he drove after having drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Gavan Reilly was on the 12:30 news there with a whole host of questions that Cowen still needs to answer regarding him (Cowen) potentially driving illegally.

It seems Reilly never got the brief that there's nothing to see and that we need to move on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It does not matter if he had 12 Pints, 6 Pints, 2 Pints, Half a Pint, 10 Pints the day before, he was over the legal limit when stopped and was still over the limit when he got to the station.

That's not even true in legal terms.
    Yes, they're all contrary to the law but the punishment for driving after 12 pints would be, or certainly should be, much greater than for driving after 2 pints. I think most judges would see it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I expect new revelations on Cowen by Sunday.
    It will be a slow painful resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I didn't say anything of the kind. He's not in the clear, he WAS guilty of an offence, he WAS punished. End of.

What irks me is the outraged posers who misrepresent the nature of the offence, liken him to someone who drives while drunk and say that doing what he did is of such low moral behaviour that he should resign from government forthwith.

That's histrionic, mob-led self-righteous virtue signalling nonsense, in my view.

And I'm speaking as someone who has never voted FF in his life.

If he had been truthful (none of the 2 pints 6 hours earlier bullsh1t) and logically and clearly explained his driving licence history (without using the word 'regularise') this would have been yesterday's news the day before yesterday. Not doing so encourages people to wonder and possibly encourage others to start digging. Presumably he has nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Sorolla wrote: »
    This is clearly biased against culchies

A Dublin based TD can get the bus or the Dort home

A country TD does not have this luxury

I think it should be OK to drive (very carefully) if drink is taken

Some drives improve after a few drinks as it can settle the nerves

So please let country lads have a few pints and let them drive (very carefully)

I reckon he could have taxi'd up and down in a limo looking at those expenses they put up the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cute Hoor wrote:
    If he had been truthful (none of the 2 pints 6 hours earlier bullsh1t) and logically and clearly explained his driving licence history (without using the word 'regularise') this would have been yesterday's news the day before yesterday. Not doing so encourages people to wonder and possibly encourage others to start digging. Presumably he has nothing to hide.
    You are right it dies encourage stupid people who can't see the wood from the trees to go on about something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    I want to know what way we are moving forward after the shutdown, I want to know what measures have been put in place to stop something like the children's hospital fiasco from happening again.
    You know important stuff.
    How anybody can be going on about a couple of traffic offenses when Michael Martin is Taoiseach is beyond me. I didn't hear much complaining about him getting that office. A guy that was there for the whole Anglo-Irish thing as a minister and now he gets the top job. There should be protests over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

I expect new revelations on Cowen by Sunday.
    It will be a slow painful resignation.

You're hoping for you mean.

Some vengeful posting, he's not a proven murderer, paedophile or has defrauded anyone or the state etc.

Take away the fact he's from Clara Offaly, who his brother is and what his political party is and would there be half the noise on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

eagle eye wrote: »
    Your usual flippant remark. Rolly eyes to that.

A big who cares to all of this minor stuff.
    Martin being Taoiseach is a far bigger concern after being a big player in the government that screwed us all.
    Harris still being in government after billions of our money was lost on a children's hospital.
    The Greens in Government after the disgrace they were last time.
    SF, didn't one of them shout 'up the ra' after being elected? Did he get kicked out of his party?
    I'd have major concerns about all the above. Cowen's stuff pales in significance to all the above.

You said of Cowen that at least he wasn't as bad as Harris. Same government. That's all I'm saying.

I want to know what way we are moving forward after the shutdown, I want to know what measures have been put in place to stop something like the children's hospital fiasco from happening again.
    How anybody can be going on about a couple of traffic offenses when Michael Martin is Taoiseach is beyond me. I didn't hear much complaining about him getting that office. A guy that was there for the whole Anglo-Irish thing as a minister and now he gets the top job. There should be protests over that.

All good subjects for a thread of their own, their only a distraction really on a thread about Cowan and his law breaking and MM/FF's acceptance of his antisocial behaviour.

But you knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Half 8 early?

So that's what Varadkar meant by those who like to get up early? Most of us are too busy getting to work or working to be deflecting on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

You are right it dies encourage stupid people who can't see the wood from the trees to go on about something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure I'd call them stupid people, people don't like to be taken for fools, this is what Cowen is effectively doing, it's only natural to rail against that. It was always in his hands to clear all this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I only caught 5 mins of Prime Time last night but some lady called Mary was on representing a road safety organisation.

She said Cowen called her earlier that day and she repeated some list of questions she had in relation to his driving record and offences.
    Cowen promised he would answer all those questions in the Dail later that evening.

She said he did not answer a single question.

Yeah and one question that stood out was her asking what happened his penalty points for the two speeding incidents prior to this drink driving one. You are only allowed 7 points on a learner permit and he got 5 in court and presumably 3 for the other offense he didnt contest in court. So thats 8 points but he was still on the road.

Theres a well known trick where you show up to court but leave your licence at home meaning the RSA has no way of assigning the points to your license. Its an absolutely insane situation. Id be wondering did Cowen pull this trick.

Looks like FF are trying to sweep this under the carpet but there are lots of unanswered questions. Would expect more revelations in this Sunday newspapers because Cowen hasnt dealt with the matter satisfactorily at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He said last night that he had 2 drinks and then are a meal and watched the match. At that point he drove home. So how would he still fail a test?

Surely no one believes he only drank 2 drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah and one question that stood out was her asking what happened his penalty points for the two speeding incidents prior to this drink driving one. You are only allowed 7 points on a learner permit and he got 5 in court and presumably 3 for the other offense he didnt contest in court. So thats 8 points but he was still on the road.

Theres a well known trick where you show up to court but leave your licence at home meaning the RSA has no way of assigning the points to your license. Its an absolutely insane situation. Id be wondering did Cowen pull this trick.

Looks like FF are trying to sweep this under the carpet but there are lots of unanswered questions. Would expect more revelations in this Sunday newspapers because Cowen hasnt dealt with the matter satisfactorily at all.

what was the time difference between the two offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

You're hoping for you mean.

Some vengeful posting, he's not a proven murderer, paedophile or has defrauded anyone or the state etc.

Take away the fact he's from Clara Offaly, who his brother is and what his political party is and would there be half the noise on here.

he actually has defrauded someone

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cowens-td-brother-being-sued-over-8600-debt-29654160.html?fbclid=IwAR0IOua1-HONcuOZOiQpWvqM3Z1wEopGCSwyx2d5djYgGeperC8jaJRykDQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    You obviously missed the bit 'if you break one admit it giving a clear, detailed, truthful, believable explanation'. If he provided an accurate detailed explanation everybody would have moved on (well I certainly would)

Do you think (not know) that Barry just had the 2 pints - just your opinion, you must surely have one

Your tenacity is commendable. I look forward to you or the question being called stupid again.

Sorry I am not missing any point. Drink driving was always serious with everyone I know. I can tell you it was more than "frowned upon". The mandatory testing made no difference.

Nobody I know would ever "risk it"

But yet you're defending Barry Cowen who "risked it".

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

xl500 wrote: »

i'm aware of what fraud is, thanks. not paying a bill doesn't quite reach that standard

• Advertisement

jeez everyone knows it was more than 2 pints, I'd say it was 6, think about it

You cannot have an opinion or rational argument about the unlikely scenario that he had 2 pints as we need pictures and receipts.

The Soldiers of Destiny have a high bar of evidence you see.

Advertisement