Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Allinall wrote: »
    Still waiting for the evidence that he was drunk.
    Ah now....he was over the legal limit.
    Quit playing that kind of rubbish.

From what I can see if he had been upfront about everything this would have blown over he clearly hasn't. It doesn't look like people are going to let it drop. Clearly there are a few more issues there with license, whether it is points for speeding, constantly driving unaccompanied when on a provisional or what etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

He might be telling the truth that he had only two drinks.

For sure, if he had two bottles of Domaine Dujac Clos-Saint-Denis Grand Cru or Bollinger Special Cuvee they would have put him over the limit. He left the impression though that he had 2 pints, again he could easily have clarified that.

Allinall wrote: »
    Still waiting for the evidence that he was drunk.

If he exceeded the limit at 8:18 when he was stopped, how would he have been an hour or two earlier when he headed off to drop his driver friend home.

Fianna Fail member with 'grudge' blamed for Barry Cowen leak

Cllr Eamon Dooley suspects a Fianna Fail member leaked Cowen driving ban

THE longest serving Fianna Fail member of Offaly County Council has said he suspects a party member revealed that Agriculture Minister Barry Cowen had been disqualified for drink-driving in 2016.

Cllr Eamon Dooley, who was sitting on the council when Barry Cowen was first co-opted to the local authority to replace his brother Brian in 1992, said he had a “fair idea” who informed the Irish Independent about the incident.

He could not confirm that it was a senior member of the Fianna Fail party but said it came “from someone who had a grudge against” the Offaly TD.

“I'd say he was Fianna Fail alright but I wouldn't say he was a TD. I'd say he was never an elected member of anything. That's only my opinion, for what it's worth.”

“It wasn't as if he was falling around the place or anything,” said Cllr Dooley.

“Most people that would have two pints before a match and spend three or four hours at a match, you'd expect you'd be ok, you wouldn't expecting that you'd be [over the limit]. I wouldn't say it ever dawned on him that he was over the limit.”

Cllr Dooley said he did not know that his former council colleague, who remained a member of the Offaly local authority until his election to the Dail in 2011, had been disqualified.

“I heard a rumour at the time but I thought that's all it was, a rumour.”

He said he believed the new Agriculture Minister had been on a provisional licence for so long because he was just “letting it run and not bothering, being lackadaisal about it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cute Hoor wrote: »

THE longest serving Fianna Fail member of Offaly County Council has said he suspects a party member revealed that Agriculture Minister Barry Cowen had been disqualified for drink-driving in 2016.

Cllr Eamon Dooley, who was sitting on the council when Barry Cowen was first co-opted to the local authority to replace his brother Brian in 1992, said he had a “fair idea” who informed the Irish Independent about the incident.

He could not confirm that it was a senior member of the Fianna Fail party but said it came “from someone who had a grudge against” the Offaly TD.

“I'd say he was Fianna Fail alright but I wouldn't say he was a TD. I'd say he was never an elected member of anything. That's only my opinion, for what it's worth.”

“It wasn't as if he was falling around the place or anything,” said Cllr Dooley.

“Most people that would have two pints before a match and spend three or four hours at a match, you'd expect you'd be ok, you wouldn't expecting that you'd be [over the limit]. I wouldn't say it ever dawned on him that he was over the limit.”

Cllr Dooley said he did not know that his former council colleague, who remained a member of the Offaly local authority until his election to the Dail in 2011, had been disqualified.

He said he believed the new Agriculture Minister had been on a provisional licence for so long because he was just “letting it run and not bothering, being lackadaisal about it.”

That's the level of attention to detail of one's affairs i would expect from an FFer alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's great to have the real FF back. They were skulking long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

All that does is pose yet more questions, Cllr Dooley suspects it was a disgruntled member of the party.

Is it plausible at all that if it was such common knowledge within the party about a fairly high profile FFer losing his or her license, that it didn't make it's way up the chain to Michaél until Fri the 3rd of July 2020?

FG weren't exactly the epitome of dignity and class by any means, but FF are legitimately in circus mode already. They've only stepped in the door and the clown shoes are on.

McMurphy wrote: »
    All that does is pose yet more questions, Cllr Dooley suspects it was a disgruntled member of the party.

Is it plausible at all that if it was such common knowledge within the party about a fairly high profile FFer losing his or her license, that it didn't make it's way up the chain to Michaél until Fri the 3rd of July 2020?

It's not plausible but FFers are like Thomas and would need to stick their fingers in the wounds before they'll believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's great to have the real FF back. They were skulking long enough.

Its funny you say that because I was just thinking the exact same an hour ago- the FFers of Boards were very quiet the last few years but as soon as theyre back in government and the first scandal hits theyre attracted to this thread like flies to sh1t.

It feels like 2010 all over again.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its funny you say that because I was just thinking the exact same an hour ago- the FFers of Boards were very quiet the last few years but as soon as theyre back in government and the first scandal hits theyre attracted to this thread like flies to sh1t.

Recession? Check! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Recession? Check! :)

Circling the wagons on illegality? Check!

Muahahaha wrote: »

Yep and they have learned absolutely nothing.

They were simply envious of FG who seemlessly took over gouging the taxpayer after 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Match started at 3:30, in his seat by 3:15 at the very latest, an hourish to drink the 2 pints, so started his drinking spree at 2:15ish, caught at 8:18
    how do you know he was caught at 8:18?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So this bloke Dooley goes on and on about who he suspects got information into the public domain about a government minister breaking the law previously, and yet seems unperturbed by the law breaking.

Birds of a feather......

how do you know he was caught at 8:18?

Pretty sure I read that somewhere, can't find it now, would tie in with the match timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Pretty sure I read that somewhere, can't find it now, would tie in with the match timeline

I havnt seen the exact time he was stopped reported anywhere https://www.google.com/search?q=%228:18%22+%22barry+cowen%22&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU-ZPljr7qAhXLiFwKHbHBAiMQ_AUIDSgA&biw=2048&bih=1038&dpr=1.25

But he was caught driving drunk and unlicenced, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thread = TLDR, but am I alone in thinking that having waited 6 months for a government, we really should have more urgent things that need to be fixed than spending our energy on a TD's drink-driving charge?
    I would much rather our TD's got to work sorting out whether our children are going back to school, sorting out housing, fixing the health service, fixing our public transport systems, dealing with coronavirus, etc, etc than sitting around with a political football wasting everybody's time.
    We only have 4 years till the next election, quit the fannying around and get something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Thread = TLDR, but am I alone in thinking that having waited 6 months for a government, we really should have more urgent things that need to be fixed than spending our energy on a TD's drink-driving charge?
    I would much rather our TD's got to work sorting out whether our children are going back to school, sorting out housing, fixing the health service, fixing our public transport systems, dealing with coronavirus, etc, etc than sitting around with a political football wasting everybody's time.
    We only have 4 years till the next election, quit the fannying around and get something done.

Yea MM should have shown some leadership and binned him from the ministry and moved on. Same as his new besto should have got rid of the swing queen but failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

For what it's worth, I think this is little more than an internal FF issue. It'll run for a few more days, and the media will get distracted by something newer. I think a bit less of Cowan for it, but then I'm not his constituent.

I am far more concerned that there are still people driving around on their nth learner's permit. Those things should double in price each time you renew them. If you can't prove you can drive competently after years of practice, maybe you should ride the damned bus instead of endangering everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

mikhail wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I think this is little more than an internal FF issue. It'll run for a few more days, and the media will get distracted by something newer. I think a bit less of Cowan for it, but then I'm not his constituent.

I am far more concerned that there are still people driving around on their nth learner's permit. Those things should double in price each time you renew them. If you can't prove you can drive competently after years of practice, maybe you should ride the damned bus instead of endangering everyone.

The Heather Humphreys whistleblower story for example.

Can't find it now and can't remember where I saw/heard it.

Can't find it now and can't remember where I saw/heard it.

It's not really relevant. It's one of those FF "gotcha" comments. I mean if only Barry Cowen was this attached to the minutiae then he would have had his full licence long ago.

Oh right, so you reckon that all of that would have been sorted this week without this distraction?

Yea MM should have shown some leadership and binned him from the ministry and moved on. Same as his new besto should have got rid of the swing queen but failed.

That's exactly it. The country needs decisive leadership more than ever before. It has a major economic recession looming. Cowen should have been forced to tell the whole truth and answer all the awkward questions immediately - then the required action should have been taken. The fact that he would not answer questions in the Dail last night told us all that there are smoking guns here. This is being handled the same way as Bailey. Have FFG learned nothing from their previous dodgy politics?

The motto is always the same: Party 1st, Country 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But he was caught driving drunk and unlicenced, right?

Wrong.

He was given an FCPN because of the concentration of alcohol in his bloodstream.

He had a learners permit and was accompanied by a qualified driver.

(you might recall that we went through all that drunk driving stuff a couple of pages back)

It's not really relevant.

Oh true yea, although the 8:18 (wherever I got it) would tie in. Match over around 5:30, a 'light meal', and then head off into the heavy traffic heading west before being stopped in Kildare.

elperello wrote: »
    Wrong.

He was given an FCPN because of the concentration of alcohol in his bloodstream.

He had a learners permit and was accompanied by a qualified driver.

(you might recall that we went through all that drunk driving stuff a couple of pages back)

Have we established if the person beside him was his accompanying driver? Were they under the legal limit also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I can't figure out the fascination about him not getting his licence till he was 50. So what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Totally agree with you.

Sadly Cowen is dodging legitimate questions surrounding his driving licence following the revelations of his drink driving, and his boss who is meant to be running the country and upholding the highest of standards in public office seems totally disinterested in doing so.

Then again, he served in Ahern's government for years, so I don't think anybody expects anything other than low standards in high places.

Advertisement