Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I can't figure out the fascination about him not getting his licence till he was 50. So what?

Very bizarre for somebody when his respective jobs have entailed a lot of moving about his county and the country at times and to places that would not have been conducive to the use of public transport.

And the fact that he may have broken the law in doing so.

But sure, who cares? Nothing to see, let's move on....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have we established if the person beside him was his accompanying driver? Were they under the legal limit also?

I'm not aware of any source claiming that the accompanying qualified driver was tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any source claiming that the accompanying qualified driver was tested.

Think about that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

you might recall that we went through all that drunk driving stuff a couple of pages back

The drunk driving bit is a bit of a conundrum, there is no clear definition of 'drunk', it's a subjective word really, one person might think a person was 'drunk' 6 hours after drinking 2 pints, another person might think a person was drunk only after drinking 20 pints and being legless, it's in the eye of the beholder.

We are fortunate though to be able to define 'drink driving' using one of those thingys you stick in your mouth, Brian failed that test, unfortunately the machine cannot tell if you are 'drunk', we definitely know he was 'drink driving', we don't know for sure whether he was 'drunk'.

Think about that then.

I will and await further information.

By the way I linked to the legislation earlier which shows that "drunk driving" is not the phrase currently used.

The reason for this is that people can be well over the limit for driving without being drunk.

It's not helpful to continue to use the outmoded "drunk driving" because it gives the impression that someone needs to appear drunk to be dangerous behind the wheel.

Neither Mr Cowen or anyone else should drive after consuming any alcoholic drink.

• Advertisement

I can't figure out the fascination about him not getting his licence till he was 50. So what?

I think it's absolutely fascinating, most lads (certainly that I know) get a provo at 17, go through this new fangled system for getting a full licence, and, unless they are complete and utter gombeens who shouldn't be let near a car, they will have a full licence by the time they're 21. This lad is driving around (presuming doing multiples of the mileage any normal lad would do) on a provo (or permit as he seems to call it) until he's 50 before 'regularising' it. You don't find that fascinating?

I will and await further information.

By the way I linked to the legislation earlier which shows that "drunk driving" is not the phrase currently used.

The reason for this is that people can be well over the limit for driving without being drunk.

It's not helpful to continue to use the outmoded "drunk driving" because it gives the impression that someone needs to appear drunk to be dangerous behind the wheel.

Neither Mr Cowen or anyone else should drive after consuming any alcoholic drink.

Your incessant obsession with this "gotcha" you think you have is a bit sad and pathetic.

It doesn't actually matter though. The cratur was caught driving after drinking. All reasonable assumptions based on his bullshít story is that he was drunk at some point while driving. He just has to have been.
    If you want to labour your point because you feel good then more power to you.

The fact is, the story makes no sense and it's best if it was cleared up. This is why it's still going on.

Your incessant obsession with this "gotcha" you think you have is a bit sad and pathetic.

It doesn't actually matter though. The cratur was caught driving after drinking. All reasonable assumptions based on his bullshít story is that he was drunk at some point while driving. He just has to have been.
    If you want to labour your point because you feel good then more power to you.

The fact is, the story makes no sense and it's best if it was cleared up. This is why it's still going on.

In case it escaped your notice this is a forum for discussion.

I am expressing my opinion on a current affairs matter.

I have no interest in catching you out and I have been polite in my posts.

In case it escaped your notice this is a forum for discussion.

I am expressing my opinion on a current affairs matter.

I have no interest in catching you out and I have been polite in my posts.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

do people on provisional/learners licence have to pay more insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

You're hoping for you mean.

Some vengeful posting, he's not a proven murderer, paedophile or has defrauded anyone or the state etc.

Take away the fact he's from Clara Offaly, who his brother is and what his political party is and would there be half the noise on here.
    MJ Flood might not agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Can anyone explain to me why this is an issue apart from Micheal Martin apparently not being aware of it? Read few articles about it on IT and RTE. He was convicted and served the ban. Why is it an issue again? This gov have more on their plate than any other gov probably ever. This seems like its drawing away a lot of time and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

do people on provisional/learners licence have to pay more insurance?

I am aware of a few people who went around on provisional licences for years.
    Essentially they got them and tipped around at they never felt the need to do the test because there wasn't a massive amount of pressure to do the test until the early 2000's. Some of the people would surprise you.
    They had good cars, etc and insurance was never an issue and when they eventually passed there test they even commentated that there insurance didn't didn't change much.

Well done.

Thank you but it would help to avoid confusion if you actually read other peoples posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MadYaker wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why this is an issue apart from Micheal Martin apparently not being aware of it? Read few articles about it on IT and RTE. He was convicted and served the ban. Why is it an issue again? This gov have more on their plate than any other gov probably ever. This seems like its drawing away a lot of time and energy.

I think people are wondering how he got around the place for nearly 30 years before doing a test and getting his full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think people are wondering how he got around the place for nearly 30 years before doing a test and getting his full license.

And maybe id be wondering that too if we weren't in the midst of a novel coronavirus pandemic with no cure or treatment while also staring down the barrell of the worst recession probably since the great depression. Drink driving is bad and under normal circumstances I too might be interesting in learning the ins and outs of Barry Cowens long and illustrious driving history. But I think we (and the government) have more important things to focus on at the moment don't you? The public and the medias determination to make as issue of this is unhelpful at this time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Josh. wrote: »
    Not too hard to figure this guy out

He wasn't as smart smart as he thinks he is to land in this predicament and neither is Michael
    I'd almost forgotten what ff were like, it's like bertie and the boys are back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And maybe id be wondering that too if we weren't in the midst of a novel coronavirus pandemic with no cure or treatment while also staring down the barrell of the worst recession probably since the great depression. Drink driving is bad and under normal circumstances I too might be interesting in learning the ins and outs of Barry Cowens long and illustrious driving history. But I think we (and the government) have more important things to focus on at the moment don't you? The public and the medias determination to make as issue of this is unhelpful at this time imo.

The opposition will take any opportunity to get a shot at the government so no surprise there and so will the media and I suppose others will say TDs need to lead by example and not be doing stuff like that.

However I think if the suspicion is there that he was driving up and down to Dublin for years on a provisional license he needs to clarify this is not the case and explain how he did get around.

I think there is a mixture of both those who have issues with what he did and those who are point scoring.
    Take for instance. I know people who say you can't have a drink driver in the Dail, people like him shouldn't be there and they voted for Pat Buckley SF in my area.(Who was three times over the limit). But they are all just Anti FF at the end of the day.
    People just stick up for there party most of the time.
    Some do have proper issues with it but most don't in my experience.

Lot of indignation at a government minister being held accountable for his actions. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Lot of indignation at a government minister being held accountable for his actions. :rolleyes:

How dare we

I think it would be interesting to see our TD's driving records. I'd say they'd all out do one another.
    Out of the TD's I know they'd nearly park in two disabled spaces and drive off on the phone with no seat belt on.

I think it would be interesting to see our TD's driving records. I'd say they'd all out do one another.
    Out of the TD's I know they'd nearly park in two disabled spaces and drive off on the phone with no seat belt on.

What about all the other TDs?

Seriously.

I think it would be more interesting if he told us the truth about his own driving record. Don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Exactly, this is why Martin should have dealt with the matter in a timely fashion, binned Cowan and get on with doin the important business that needs doing.

Poor distraction attempt.

Very poor.

What about all the other TDs?

Seriously.

I think it would be more interesting if he told us the truth about his own driving record. Don't you?

No, I want to know all of them. So, we can all know who we are voting for.

Can we not wonder about both, the pandemic/recession and Cowen

No, I want to know all of them. So, we can all know who we are voting for.

Right. So it's all or none is it?

I guess all controversies should now be handled in this way. You're a genius.

Right. So it's all or none is it?

I guess all controversies should now be handled in this way. You're a genius.

I want to know about Barry of course firstly but I'd also like to know about the other TD's.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't get the need for your smart comment calling me a genius. I've always being honest on boards and said I wasn't the brightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I am aware of a few people who went around on provisional licences for years.
    Essentially they got them and tipped around at they never felt the need to do the test because there wasn't a massive amount of pressure to do the test until the early 2000's. Some of the people would surprise you.
    They had good cars, etc and insurance was never an issue and when they eventually passed there test they even commentated that there insurance didn't didn't change much.

How many of these folk you're aware of were TDs that later went on to become govt ministers?

Advertisement