Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Jaysus its hard to beat an Irish witch hunt.

I'd be more worried about the fact that Michael Martin had a big hand in ruining the country a decade a go is now taoiseach.

I'd say by Friday this will have settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

McMurphy wrote: »
    How many of these folk you're aware of were TDs that later went on to become govt ministers?

None from what I know of but I was trying to answer a question for somebody about the cost of insurance for people who may have being on a provisional for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are right it dies encourage stupid people who can't see the wood from the trees to go on about something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    I want to know what way we are moving forward after the shutdown, I want to know what measures have been put in place to stop something like the children's hospital fiasco from happening again.
    You know important stuff.
    How anybody can be going on about a couple of traffic offenses when Michael Martin is Taoiseach is beyond me. I didn't hear much complaining about him getting that office. A guy that was there for the whole Anglo-Irish thing as a minister and now he gets the top job. There should be protests over that.

I think you might be slightly misquoting me there, I never suggested that those questioning Cowen were stupid, in fact I think the opposite. Why can't the stupid & unstupid concern themselves about Cowen AND the shutdown, the children's hospital, Mickey Martin for Taoiseach, Anglo Irish, the state of Denmark. Cowen could have stopped all this worrying so simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

What has happened to Shefwedfan, has he been recalled to Mount St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    What has happened to Shefwedfan, has he been recalled to Mount St
    Maybe he has just realised Barry is a fool who cant be defended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd say by Friday this will have settled down.

I'd say by Friday I'll have won the Euromillions and will be banging a supermodel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can't figure out the fascination about him not getting his licence till he was 50. So what?

Because only losers spend the 30 years of their adult life going around driving on a provisional license. The rest of us sit a test in our 20s to prove we are competent drivers, reduce your insurance premium and to be able to rent cars abroad.
    However I think if the suspicion is there that he was driving up and down to Dublin for years on a provisional license he needs to clarify this is not the case and explain how he did get around.

This is part of why it rumbles on-

-In his previous job as an estate agent and county coucillor was he driving up and down the county as a learner driver with no fully licensed driver beside him?
    - After his elections as a TD in 2011 was he driving up and down to Dublin several times a week as an unaccompanied learner driver?
    -Did he use the motorways despite not being licensed or insured to do so?

I think we all know the answers to the above questions are yes, yes and yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Because only losers spend the 30 years of their adult life going around driving on a provisional license. The rest of us sit a test in our 20s to prove we are competent drivers, reduce your insurance premium and to be able to rent cars abroad.

This is part of why it rumbles on-

-In his previous job as an estate agent and county coucillor was he driving up and down the county as a learner driver with no fully licensed driver beside him?
    - After his elections as a TD in 2011 was he driving up and down to Dublin several times a week as an unaccompanied learner driver?
    -Did he use the motorways despite not being licensed or insured to do so?

I think we all know the answers to the above questions are yes, yes and yes.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Exactly, this is why Martin should have dealt with the matter in a timely fashion, binned Cowan and get on with doin the important business that needs doing.

He really should have. If your party has just got into gov and you've been chosen for a ministerial position by a party leader who has no knowledge of your past convictions you should really make that known because there's no way it's going to stay a secret. Not sure why Micheal didn't just axe him but who nows. Maybe firing ministers isn't easy or there was nobody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And?

Eh, he repeatedly broke the law on the way to and from the national legislature? Do you not see the issue here?
    MadYaker wrote: »
    He really should have. If your party has just got into gov and you've been chosen for a ministerial position by a party leader who has no knowledge of your past convictions you should really make that known because there's no way it's going to stay a secret. Not sure why Micheal didn't just axe him but who nows. Maybe firing ministers isn't easy or there was nobody else?

What stopped Mícheal firing him is that it's a well-worn FF trope. Brazen it out and be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

There's more important things going on. Some people need to get over themselves.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ken McFadden has said in a tweet that Thomas Byrne leaked the story as he was annoyed he didn't get into the cabinet.

Thomas Byrne appeared on the Tonight Programme on Virgin Media tonight. Not sure what he said about this affair, but it spurred on Ken McFadden to make this allegation.

And?

And you have no argument so you posted nothing of substance

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    There's more important things going on. Some people need to get over themselves.

So the Fianna Failers keep saying. If there is nothing for them to discuss on a discussion board then they are free to leave the thread. Nobody is forcing them to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ken McFadden has said in a tweet that Thomas Byrne leaked the story as he was annoyed he didn't get into the cabinet.

Thomas Byrne appeared on the Tonight Programme on Virgin Media tonight. Not sure what he said about this affair, but it spurred on Ken McFadden to make this allegation.
    Ken "Mouse" McFadden the Cleveland State basketball player!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diverboy

And so it continues.

"Fianna Fáil TD says he 'deeply regrets' writing letter for CAB target brothers" from independent. Cannot post link due to new user.

A couple nasty individuals by all accounts defended by a FF TD. The bar for whats acceptable in public office is genuinely getting lower by the day. Anyone that believes the culture in FF has changes is deluded.

Ken "Mouse" McFadden the Cleveland State basketball player!

No idea who that is.

McFadden is a Fianna Fail member I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Diverboy wrote: »
    And so it continues.

"Fianna Fáil TD says he 'deeply regrets' writing letter for CAB target brothers" from independent. Cannot post link due to new user.

A couple nasty individuals by all accounts defended by a FF TD. The bar for whats acceptable in public office is genuinely getting lower by the day. Anyone that believes the culture in FF has changes is deluded.

Here is the link

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fianna-fail-td-says-he-deeply-regrets-writing-letter-for-cab-target-brothers-39352046.html
    In a statement, the Longford-Westmeath TD Joe O’Flaherty said writing the letter on behalf of the men during a violent order trial was an "error of judgement".
    On Monday, the homes of all three men were among 12 residential properties, three commercial premises and one business raided by gardaí. CAB seized €110,000 and £14,000 (€15,570) in cash along with three caravans and 11 vehicles including a Mercedes, Skoda Kodiaq, Isuzu D-Max, Ford Ranger and a Toyota Land Cruiser. Two Rolex watches were seized, as were designer handbags and shoes.
    The comments followed criticisms by former Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan who said it is "dangerous" for TDs to try "influence judicial decisions" as it "potentially blurs the clear constitutional lines", which separate the legislature and the Judiciary.

The calibre of the TDs in our Dail really is a worry. Our political system is red rotten. FFG showing by example how it's done.

No idea who that is.

McFadden is a Fianna Fail member I believe.
    why would he out him like that?

why would he out him like ?

Whatever Thomas Byrne said tonight irritated Ken McFadden!

• Advertisement

Whatever Thomas Byrne said tonight irritated Ken McFadden!
    he said he outed him because he denied it, why would a fianna fail member be upset with a (fianna fail) politician lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

why would he out him like that?

If he's right and what he's saying is true, he decided to speak out because of whatever he said on tv tonight (I wasn't watching so can't say what it was.)

He's fairly adamant he would not have named him but for that.

https://twitter.com/unspeakable28/status/1280975847445401600?s=20

https://twitter.com/unspeakable28/status/1280980516896940034?s=20

he said he outed him because he denied it, why would a fianna fail member be upset with a fianna fail politician lying?

I think because Byrne tried to come across as not caring about ministerial positions tonight, that he was happy with any role he was given.

McFadden clearly thinks this isn't the case.

I think because Byrne tried to come across as not caring about ministerial positions tonight, that he was happy with any role he was given.

McFadden clearly thinks this isn't the case.
    hardly earth shattering?

hardly earth shattering?

Well it conveys how much strife there was in FF over the cabinet choices and it gives Martin a headache. A leadership challenge must now seem likely.

And it's a bit of gossip for political anoraks.

Well it conveys how much strife there was in FF over the cabinet choices and it gives Martin a headache. A leadership challenge must now seem likely.

And it's a bit of gossip for political anoraks.

why would an FF member want a leadership challenge just after his party leader became Taoiseach?

why would an FF member what a leadership challenge just after his party leader became Taoiseach?

They don't like Michael Martin. They had a disastrous election.

They don't like Michael Martin. They had a disastrous election.

and he wants another one during a pandemic?

and he wants another one during a pandemic?

Not him specifically. The party itself is unhappy with Michael Martin by all accounts. The cabinet appointments were the icing on the cake. They want him out before the next election.

• Advertisement

Not him specifically. The party itself is unhappy with Michael Martin by all accounts. The cabinet appointments were the icing on the cake. They want him out before the next election.
    and calling your local TD a liar helps that how?

Advertisement