Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,571 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

buried wrote:
    They are so bad that everyone and their monkeys uncle knew it was one of their own who leaked this story the minute it came out. Beyond a f**king joke at this stage. These hoors like Mr.Martin and his cabinet don't give a $hit either, they've got their titles set, got their lush pensions set. That's all that matters to them. Keep it going a few months until the timeline they can get those pensions set in stone and its literally f**k everyone else, "everyone else" AKA = me and you.
    I don't disagree with anything you are saying but the sad thing is there is no alternative. We've got to see the crooked, clueless and incompetent side of Fine Gael in government, you've a gang who seem to still support the IRA thugs in Sinn Fein.
    There isn't an alternative. We need a new party, a centre party, full of intelligent people who are new to politics and want to change things for the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't disagree with anything you are saying but the sad thing is there is no alternative. We've got to see the crooked, clueless and incompetent side of Fine Gael in government, you've a gang who seem to still support the IRA thugs in Sinn Fein.
    There isn't an alternative. We need a new party, a centre party, full of intelligent people who are new to politics and want to change things for the better.

You are right, there aren't many options for sensible folks who no longer support the FFG and SF cults.

I was a FG voter for 20+ years. I am now voting SDs and Independents but there is room for another mainstream party as FFG lose their vote base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

buried wrote: »
    Keep it going a few months until the timeline they can get those pensions set in stone and its literally f**k everyone else, "everyone else" AKA = me and you.

Bar stool BS.

You need to serve two years before ministerial pension kicks in and then it's on a sliding scale.

Only if you are a minister for 10 years can you get the full pension entitlement

They also make contributions to the pension (5% I think) and pay tax on a portion of it when they retire.

Not quite the gravy train the media will give the impression of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Darc19 wrote: »
    Bar stool BS.

You need to serve two years before ministerial pension kicks in and then it's on a sliding scale.

Only if you are a minister for 10 years can you get the full pension entitlement

They also make contributions to the pension (5% I think) and pay tax on a portion of it when they retire.

Bull$hit yourself Cuz, Those entitled to “ministerial” or “secretarial” pensions can either take their pension straight away or avail of a ministerial lump sum and a ministerial severance payment.

It is a gravy train, and unless you are in on it yourself, you should be f**king up in arms about it.

But I guess we know which one you are in now, don't we

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

How could the qualifications to be allowed run a country be only to win an election.
    The Civil service run this country and they are the clueless and incompetent side, It doesn't matter who comes and goes in every election you still deal with the same personnel when you meet the various departments as you did before the change of government.
    The management of every government service is but a quagmire and should be evidence enough for you to see where the faults lie, the politicians are but the fall guy for when the whole thing goes belly up again and again.
    Those that messed up are left cushy in their jobs to mess up again and again with no recriminations. If you don't piunish a bold child they'll misbehave persistently. Civil Service jobs are never on the line for destroying the country
    I guarantee you I clapped no government service.
    Even Covid, those making the rules have no skin in the game , they won't lose their jobs or even lose money like the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think FF are more suited to SF. At least in the Drink driving stakes.

Something is coming back to me about another councillor, FG maybe whom also fell foul of our drink driving breathalyser tests.... Was it in county Cork perhaps?

Rings a bell for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Darc19 wrote: »
    Bar stool BS.

Ah jasus, the poor craters.

Taughts and prayers etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

wrangler wrote: »
    How could the qualifications to be allowed run a country be only to win an election.
    The Civil service run this country and they are the clueless and incompetent side, It doesn't matter who comes and goes in every election you still deal with the same personnel when you meet the various departments as you did before the change of government.
    The management of every government service is but a quagmire and should be evidence enough for you to see where the faults lie, the politicians are but the fall guy for when the whole thing goes belly up again and again.
    Those that messed up are left cushy in their jobs to mess up again and again with no recriminations. If you don't piunish a bold child they'll misbehave persistently. Civil Service jobs are never on the line for destroying the country
    I guarantee you I clapped no government service.
    Even Covid, those making the rules have no skin in the game , they won't lose their jobs or even lose money like the rest

So the civil servants stopped Barry taking a driving test, fed him a load of pints and obscured his vision of the speed signs on the N4 is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You're obviously intelligent enough to set one up. Off ya go so...

So the civil servants stopped Barry taking a driving test, fed him a load of pints and obscured his vision of the speed signs on the N4 is it?

It wouldn't make any difference to the Government if he did it everyday of the week. The country is ticking along now while the politicians are playing schoolyard games.
    The public service are always apologizing for one blunder while creating another, so don't get too comfortable because they'll have another f...up along in a a minute

• Advertisement

Deos it matter?

He has served his punishment....the issue people had,was that it was covered up and not disclosed

Whats the point in a minister being motivated and efficient when the Civil service will never be efficient.... or motivated either for that matter

I think FF are more suited to SF. At least in the Drink driving stakes.

I knew there was something about FG having their own breathalyser incident with a councillor.

Time to get off the high horse Jimmy.

Drink-drive FG councillor hid from gardai in a bush

The reason FG, SF and FF have all kept reasonably quiet about it.
    Judge Finn was told by Garda Cillian Barry that he was conducting a routine checkpoint at midnight.

He spotted a car approaching and, after it halted at a junction, the vehicle turned to the left with its wheels spinning.

The officers immediately pursued the car, which later stopped in the car park of a church at Ballydaniel.

Gda Barry told the court the motorist got out of the car and ran away. The officers followed and saw the man jumping over a wall from the churchyard which leads into a derelict yard.

Gda Barry said he spotted Hegarty in a bush in the yard and instructed him to come out. After cautioning Hegarty, of Moanroe, Ladysbridge, Co Cork, Gda Barry said he responded: "I just panicked – I had a few drinks."

Gda Barry said that he detected a smell of alcohol from Hegarty and that he was speaking to them in a slurred voice.

Intoxyliser

A breath sample provided at the scene delivered a 'fail' reading. An intoxyliser test at Midleton garda station later delivered a result of 61 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – almost twice the permitted alcohol driving limit.

Hegarty, who is an auctioneer by profession, was listed last August in 'Stubbs Gazette' as owing €81,823 to the Revenue Commissioners.

That followed a High Court case which involved the Collector General's arm of the Revenue Commissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah jasus, the poor craters.

Taughts and prayers etc.....
    "Taughts" ! Hopefully the national schools will be open again in September and you can resume your education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You're obviously intelligent enough to set one up. Off ya go so...

I come back to thread and your still ranting at everyone......get Cowan sacked yet with all this ranting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Edgware wrote: »
    "Taughts" ! Hopefully the national schools will be open again in September and you can resume your education

Maybe get up on that high horse of yours when you end your sentences with full stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

McMurphy wrote: »
    I knew there was something about FG having their own breathalyser incident with a councillor.

Time to get off the high horse Jimmy.

Drink-drive FG councillor hid from gardai in a bush

The reason FG, SF and FF have all kept reasonably quiet about it.

To be fair, he was obviously innocent, as the conviction was subsequently quashed on appeal...
    Councillors Drink Driving Conviction Overturned on Appeal :(
    July 24 2013 04:03 AM

A FINE Gael councillor has successfully appealed a drink-driving conviction following an incident in which he sped away from a garda checkpoint before abandoning his car and hiding in a bush behind a churchyard.

Cllr Michael Hegarty (FG) brought a challenge against his conviction to Cork Circuit Criminal Court on the basis he had been unlawfully detained by pursuing gardai during the incident 12 months ago.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Edgware wrote: »

How does the poster occur to you such that you pen such a response.

Two things happened here:
    1: The word got posted
    2: you posted the response.

Who were you being when you penned it?
    Lets try a few words:
    superior
    arrogant
    perhaps even
    narcissistic

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=narcissistic&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Something is coming back to me about another councillor, FG maybe whom also fell foul of our drink driving breathalyser tests.... Was it in county Cork perhaps?

Rings a bell for sure.

Or maybe you're thinking of the Sinn Fein TD from Cork who was caught 3 times over the limit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/09/news/irish-news/drink-driving-pat-buckley/amp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Or maybe you're thinking of the Sinn Fein TD from Cork who was caught 3 times over the limit?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/09/news/irish-news/drink-driving-pat-buckley/amp

Nah,an email to SF hq for a photo of the dusty dossier
    It took a few days as the barrel is already scraped to said dust

To be fair, he was obviously innocent, as the conviction was subsequently quashed on appeal...
    Councillors Drink Driving Conviction Overturned on Appeal :(

He was found to have failed both the breathalyser test, and the intoxyliser test.

He got his conviction appealed on a technicality, that being his detention, and how he was detained by the Gardai.

If there's any details of the results of the breathalyser or intoxyliser tests not being accurate, that's a whole different argument. But there's nothing to suggest he was not over the legal limits to drive, and there's his hiding from the Gardai after fleeing from them thing too.

He still made a decision to get behind the wheel of his car after digesting alcohol, and as I said, it's no wonder FG and SF have accepted the Cowen apology and aren't throwing stones in their glass houses.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Nah,an email to SF hq for a photo of the dusty dossier
    It took a few days as the barrel is already scraped to said dust

Someone's scraping the barrel alright Morty, I discussed this on this very site back when it was first published back in 2013. Took a while for the finer details to come creeping back into my mind, but I've had a lot on with work this week.

Better late than never though.

I know you often tell us you're a former mod of politics forum on this site, be surprised if me posting it, or you not being aware of it at the time.

Prob just slipped your mind I guess.

He was found to have failed both the breathalyser test, and the intoxyliser test.

He got his conviction appealed on a technicality, that being his detention, and how he was detained by the Gardai.

If there's any details of the results of the breathalyser or intoxyliser tests not being accurate, that's a whole different argument. But there's nothing to suggest he was not over the legal limits to drive, and there's his hiding from the Gardai after fleeing from them thing too.

He still made a decision to get behind the wheel of his car after digesting alcohol, and as I said, it's no wonder FG and SF have accepted the Cowen apology and aren't throwing stones in their glass houses.

Tbf drink driving is making a comeback of sorts.....it geos on alot more than is acknowledged

(about 20 to 25% lads my age,i know would drink drive regularly enough and sometimes drug drive.....but ì live quite rurally with no public transport/ garda about,so may be an outlier)

And i dislike political involvement in policing,they really should look into having a public awareness campaign around dangers of it

Someone's scraping the barrel alright Mort, I discussed this on this very site back when it was first published back in 2013.

I know you often tell us you're a former mod of politics forum on this site, be surprised if me posting it, or you not being aware of it at the time.

Prob just slipped your mind I guess.
    Nope,I don't keep files Sorry and don't have access to your Hq resources

No need for the "HQ email insinuations" looks like some of us are just better read and also retain the information
    they have read better than others.

I still find it hard to get my head wrapped around the fact at some point in time you were an impartial moderator on the politics forum. Not being aware of the FG councillors brush with the breathalyser isn't remotely plausible either I'm afraid.

Imagine going toe to toe with you over some FG transgression over on the politics forum back in the day. Fcukin hell.

Tbf if you cant counter his pints....maybe its best ignore them,than resort to nonsense like this?

I still find it hard to get my head wrapped around the fact at some point in time you were an impartial moderator on the politics forum.

Imagine going toe to toe with you over some FG transgression. Fcukin hell.

Hahaha, you obviously haven't a clue
    From memory and from the get go,I used vehemently defend SF where they were defendable and certainly didn't support FG
    They're currently closest to my wants in society obviously
    Not a perfect match but closest
    No-one is what they seem on these boards
    Thats one thing I learned here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Deos it matter?

He has served his punishment....the issue people had,was that it was covered up and not disclosed

People also have an issue with his decision making processes. He chose to drink and drive. He chose to drive on a provisional licence for decades. He chose to drive unaccompanied. He chose to drive on motorways.

A lot of people would question his decision making process in other arenas. Or does he only make bad/illegal decisions in relation to his driving behaviour?

• Advertisement

Tbf if you cant counter his pints....maybe its best ignore them,than resort to nonsense like this?

we are all entitled to our views and if you think there aren't whatsapp/other messaging groups discussing political threads here and on twitter and co ordinating replies, you'd be mistaken
    There are!
    I do find it amusing that your auto spell always spells points as pints :p

Advertisement