Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was going to say there I hope they change the system of learning to drive in Ireland and introduce it in schools, etc. So, we might improve things and stop people going around on permits for years because Ross didn’t do much. Apart from just bring in fines. However I just remembered who the minister for transport is. So, I doubt it.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    we are all entitled to our views and if you think there aren't whatsapp/other messaging groups discussing political threads here and on twitter and co ordinating replies, you'd be mistaken
    There are!

Tbh mate....this just seems conspiracy nonsense....the site is dying,noone cares what is said on it

I do find it amusing that your auto spell always spells points as pints :p

Tbh i dont have auto-correct on my phone,bought it off a lebanese drug dealer(long story), just i do love the play on words :D

(Also its part of the broader theory/pushback of languages should be spoken not written)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

we are all entitled to our views and if you think there aren't whatsapp/other messaging groups discussing political threads here and on twitter and co ordinating replies, you'd be mistaken
    There are!
    I do find it amusing that your auto spell always spells points as pints :p

Certainly not in my case, any mod or admin with access to my previous username that wants to, can see that Hegarty drink driving episode was being discussed in great depth by myself at the time, it came out in the midst of the Irish water debacle from memory, and 110% was discussed at great length on these threads.

Ironically enough, I would have completely forgot about it altogether only for the SF councillors (also from cork) was churned up on here and by the media.

Some of us have better memories than others it would seem.

Seems all the warnings I got during my student days about memory issues related to smoking the finest Moroccan via a fanta bottle bong might have been BS afterall.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tbh mate....this just seems conspiracy nonsense....the site is dying,noone cares what is said on it
    Its dying in most parts including politics
    But professional posters here do post elsewhere and manage their posts with colleagues behind the scenes ,I know that happens but you can disagree

Anyway what was the topic again?
    Oh yes Cowen
    There's probably a lot of volunteers in leadership roles in charities and doing charitable work that have long term provisional licences
    They just get nervous at the test
    I think Cowen probably was just embarrassed

Tbh i dont have auto-correct on my phone,bought it off a lebanese drug dealer(long story), just i do love the play on words :D

:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

But professional posters here do post elsewhere and manage their posts with colleagues behind the scenes ,I know that happens but you can disagree
    There's one party in particular that has been doing that for many years - SF.

Fine Gael started doing it in the last year or so and getting stronger.

I would expect Labour under Alan Kelly (advised by his brother) will start getting active too.

Nothing wrong with it as they are all public forums. Can be obvious for those who read between the lines where they are coming from, but that not the majority of people.

If FG and Lab get a strong group of social media responders, it will peg the SF decibels quite a bit - up to now they've effectively had a monopoly

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »

I would expect Labour under Alan Kelly (advised by his brother) will start getting active too.

Nothing wrong with it as they are all public forums. Can be obvious for those who read between the lines where they are coming from, but that not the majority of people.

If FG and Lab get a strong group of social media responders, it will peg the SF decibels quite a bit - up to now they've effectively had a monopoly

Labour poll at 2%

Dislike the working poor and wanting to reduce peoples water pressure to a trickle to appease the trokia......

id hazard a guess,they have more serious issues to contend with.than trying to win over older age group posters on a dying website??

Yeah pretty much it
    I recognise it and end up reacting to it which pins me as enemy no 1
    I've no problem with new SF except pre pandemic this spend annually and it would be exponential 7 billion more than we have
    Thats a one way ticket to higher taxes
    That and promises that couldn't reasonably be kept

On the drink driving,it is a dying culture
    A real glass houses thing for older politicians
    I'm shocked at the Byrne story upthread if true thogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I'd Byrnes days are numbered. Either that or he's a future FF leader.

• Advertisement

I don't expect this government to fall over Cowens greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The last year or two?

Google "Fine Gael Frape Room"

That is all.
    Yeah pretty much it
    I recognise it and end up reacting to it which pins me as enemy no 1

Of course it goes on, some of the stuff going on even gets leaked to media reports.

We Don’t Want To Make It Obvious It’s Coming From Us

I doubt FG refer to their publicity team as a frape room
    But yes that's what they get up to
    I suspect at least two are on these threads and ain't their flavour of the month either on the odd occasion I take to defending Republicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

I don't expect this government to fall over Cowens greyhound

The bitch was just out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I come back to thread and your still ranting at everyone......get Cowan sacked yet with all this ranting?

Our Mount Street Resident is back. Did they give you a reward for all your good work? You must have been tuckered out with all your efforts.

Yes, me posting on boards is going to get Cowen sacked. That's exactly how brazen FFer politics works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Cowen mindset:

I'll drink a few pints and drive home and fcuk anyone if I drive into them

I'll breed this dog as many times as I want and fcuk her if she dies or her pups die or get culled.

I'm beginning to see a trend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

KaneToad wrote: »
    People also have an issue with his decision making processes. He chose to drink and drive. He chose to drive on a provisional licence for decades. He chose to drive unaccompanied. He chose to drive on motorways.

A lot of people would question his decision making process in other arenas. Or does he only make bad/illegal decisions in relation to his driving behaviour?

Need it be reiterated for those who aren't grasping it at this stage why there is anger and annoyance at the arrogance of FF's approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Cowen mindset:

I'll breed this dog as many times as I want and fcuk her if she dies or her pups die or get culled.

I find Barry and Brian to be kind of similar, very confident but also quite arrogant, think they know it all and can do what they like. Brian got some hard lessons as Taoiseach and Barry's getting one now. Fully deserved and of his own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The bitch was just out of control.

Hoping to get bumped up the housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

The dog story seems a bit desperate. Sounds like some journo trying to find another angle to keep the Cowen story in the news. BC must have upset someone who is trying their best to get him.

Looks like he has survived this unless the weekend papers have any more dirt to fling.

I wonder when we are next due a poll. They seem to surface every few weeks on a Saturday evening. The 14% one seemed to have settled at the FF core base, would we even see them in single figures after their first two week's back in control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Despite appearences to.contary (really outside of tiny corner of boards,noone cares),i think FF handled this quiet well

Lad come out and apoligised etc....if this was under varadkar,they would basically come out and dismiss critism as partisan,turn it into a dogfight (make it SF fault somehow is the usual tactic :pac: ) and call voters/public stupid

I mean its still arrogence.....but the same type as last 10 years

What really helped FF was that SF had Pat Buckley and Mary Lou knew she couldn’t do to much giving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What really helped FF was that SF had Pat Buckley and Mary Lou knew she couldn’t do to much giving out!

Pateen did the state some service then keeping the foghorn quieter than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Josh.

Cowen mindset:

I'm still trying to figure out how an auctioneer goes bust

Sure all they do is fire up pictures and signs and talk sh1te

Collect a check at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cowen should be commenting on the meat plants with Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Despite appearences to.contary (really outside of tiny corner of boards,noone cares),i think FF handled this quiet well

Lad come out and apoligised etc....if this was under varadkar,they would basically come out and dismiss critism as partisan,turn it into a dogfight (make it SF fault somehow is the usual tactic :pac: ) and call voters/public still concerned stupid

I mean its still arrogence.....but the same type as last 10 years

Cowen still has a load of unanswered questions.

Story is far from dead.

Unlike his ministerial career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Josh. wrote: »

Did the business actually go bust? I don't know for sure but from what I've read in the press the business was just closed. No receivers, or bankruptcy. Just someone welshing on their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I wonder what the journos have unearthed during the last week. I'm looking forward to reading the Sunday's over a full Irish.

Josh. wrote: »

If you lease/rent through an auctioneer and renter fails to pay...the auctioneer is then liable for the rent/lease (not sure about rules surronding sales etc)

Same as if you sell livestock through a mart,if the buyers cheque bounces,you still get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder what the journos have unearthed during the last week. I'm looking forward to reading the Sunday's over a full Irish.

Yep Fianna Fail are great for the drama. Add in Green eccentricities and we may have an interesting government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this what pat leahy had to say about the latest bit of this saga
    By the time the controversy over Barry Cowen’s drink-driving ban arrived, the party had begun to look like a circular firing squad. That had no sooner died down with Cowen’s Dáil apology when a lurid subplot about who leaked it, and why, erupted. Journalists squawked their disbelief at one another as late-night threats and tweets flew and writs were threatened.

The sanitised summary of all that is that a new Fianna Fáil appointee was fingered by a long-time associate for leaking the Cowen story; the appointee denies all, insisting that his former associate is now mendaciously embittered. I know not where the truth lies here.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/pat-leahy-fianna-f%C3%A1il-acting-like-a-circular-firing-squad-1.4301652

Advertisement