Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

If a members of AGS leaked this info, which I suspect they did l, then they should pay with the their job. Sinple as that. Set a precedent.

Would he not deserve a medal for outing a lying criminal who managed to weasel his way into high office?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If a members of AGS leaked this info, which I suspect they did l, then they should pay with the their job. Sinple as that. Set a precedent.

It will get interesting now if the Gardai conduct an inquiry to possibly correct the record, the arresting Garda would have to give a full recollection of accounts.
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, who would have access to an official Garda file on the matter
    As its not an active investigation, it would mean someone with access would have to have looked it up surely and reported that to the Times and the Sindo
    I'm assuming that would be any Garda with access to the pulse system
    These access requests are all recorded now
    In fact you need to specify your reason for accessing the information meaning either there will be an investigation and someone will be in trouble or both papers will if they cannot provide proof of this maybe they have
    Its more interesting than the dog story anyway

The brother of ex Taoiseach Brian Cowen allegedly tried to pull a U-turn to avoid a Garda checkpoint, he subsequently failed a breathalyser test at?

I'm sure it was the most exciting thing to occur in that local Garda station in years, my guess is everyone attached to the station knew about it. Someone has told the press something, now it's up to Cowen v the Gardai to clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Would he not deserve a medal for outing a lying criminal who managed to weasel his way into high office?

Not the way it works.

Not the way it works.

Apparently it is.

No doubt if it later transpires Cowen actually did attempt to evade the checkpoint and has lied about it, and other events, as a minister heading a govt department you'll be calling for him to pay with his job also.

I admit to initially thinking Cowen had been punished for being marginally over the limit, and should be entitled to move on, but the story has evolved phenomenally since the initial reports.

The next series of events will be interesting, surely a govt minister openly disputing Gardai records on them is unprecedented?

FF back in govt week 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

McMurphy wrote: »
    It will get interesting now if the Gardai conduct an inquiry to possibly correct the record, the arresting Garda would have to give a full recollection of accounts.

The brother of ex Taoiseach Brian Cowen allegedly tried to pull a U-turn to avoid a Garda checkpoint, he subsequently failed a breathalyser test at?

I'm sure it was the most exciting thing to occur in that local Garda station in years, my guess is everyone attached to the station knew about it. Someone has told the press something, now it's up to Cowen v the Gardai to clear it up.

Possibly but Cowen is entitled to that record and is not afraid to challenge it,it would seem
    Somebody better have their facts straight
    Without sight of the report ,which Cowen will soon have,newspapers are sue able
    In which case,they would have to name their source or pay up
    We do not know if Cowen was alone in the car at the time but it looks like he wasn't because we are not hearing about an unaccompanied driver charge or warning
    It wouldn't be unusual for a garda report to be inaccurate or mixed up with another one
    Cowen does not look one bit like his brother by the way and was well outside his constituency when stopped,so I doubt there was much excitement or attention paid to that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Standard carry on. Anybody remember the time TD Jim McDaid drove the wrong way on a dual carriageway at over 3 times the legal limit and only got a years driving ban? He didn't resign.

Standard carry on. Anybody remember the time TD Jim McDaid drove the wrong way on a dual carriageway at over 3 times the legal limit and only got a years driving ban? He didn't resign.

That was 15 years ago. Not much has changed since apparently.

At least Cowen only went for the 3 pint turn and didn't leg it down the wrong side of duller.

Possibly but Cowen is entitled to that record and is not afraid to challenge it,it would seem
    Somebody better have their facts straight
    Without sight of the report ,which Cowen will soon have,newspapers are sue able
    In which case,they would have to name their source or pay up
    We do not know if Cowen was alone in the car at the time but it looks like he wasn't because we are not hearing about an unaccompanied driver charge or warning
    It wouldn't be unusual for a garda report to be inaccurate or mixed up with another one
    Cowen does not look one bit like his brother by the way and was well outside his constituency when stopped,so I doubt there was much excitement or attention paid to that

I didn't suggest he was, but you're implying he would be relatively unknown outside his locality?

C'mon, not remotely plausible. Cowen, Offaly, part of the Cowen dynasty, of course the gards would have known who he was. It wouldn't have started and ended on that night either, it happened 4 years ago.

He's being discussed on Twitter this morning. Again.

https://twitter.com/berkieahern2/status/1282094674702995456?s=19

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1282238367325921280?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

These days social media helps gives legs to these stories. Maria Bailey probably wouldn't have had the land she had 15 years ago either. Not sure the water protests would have been as successful without it either. The same could be said of the abortion and marriage equality referendums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,380 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All this could be so easily be ended and remedied..

Cowen resigns or Martin sacks him...

So simple. So effective. So fair. So the right result!

I didn't suggest he was, but you're implying he would be relatively unknown outside his locality?

C'mon, not remotely plausible. Cowen, Offaly, part of the Cowen dynasty, of course the gards would have known who he was. It wouldn't have started and ended on that night either, it happened 4 years ago.

He's being discussed on Twitter this morning. Again.

https://twitter.com/berkieahern2/status/1282094674702995456?s=19

I think you are speculating as am I
    People on twitter of course are doing what people on twitter do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I know but MM has spent a decade trying to persuade the electorate that that sort of carry-on is all behind them and that it's a new shiny, reformed FF purged of its cute-hoorism.
    It took less than a week for them to be in Government before that shine wore off.

It's not just Cowen's carry on either. You had the ugly jockeying for Ministerial positions played out over national media, with arguments based on what the jilted FF reps felt they were "owed" rather than any notion of merit or the public interest. Billy Kelleher breaching Quarantine when he came back from Brussels for Martin's election. And at all times FF "sources" have been dismissive of legitimate public concerns about this sort of behaviour.

I think you are speculating as am I
    People on twitter of course are doing what people on twitter do

I'm speculating that it's not really plausible that no-one from a county Kildare Garda station would have been well aware of who Barry Cowen TD of County Offaly was, who he was related to, and what he was alleged to have acted when approaching a Garda checkpoint, his subsequent failure of the roadside breathalyser test, and the test at a Garda station later.

Good one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

walshb wrote: »
    All this could be so easily ended and remedied..

Cowen resigns or Martin sacks him...

So simple. So effective. So fair. So the right result!

No the public needed to be reminded that FF still stand for greed and dishonesty. They are doing a fine job of that over the past few weeks.

I'm speculating that it's not really plausible that no-one from a county Kildare Garda station would have been well aware of who Barry Cowen TD of County Offaly was, who he was related to, and what he was alleged to have acted when approaching a Garda checkpoint, his subsequent failure of the roadside breathalyser test, and the test at a Garda station later.

Good one.

Well now you're actually closer to stating than speculating

BTW if you're wishing to turn this into a mortelaro approves of Mr Cowen,you'd be wrong,I'd have sacked him
    I do find the newspaper article interesting though for what comes out of it as its a can of worms now for resolving
    As I said Cowen was not prosecuted or warned for driving on his own,why?
    If he has witnesses to corroborate a non u turn or if the garda report doesn't actually state that then the case for record to be changed will be strong or the papers will be in trouble
    Note I'm speculating not stating
    Given the stuff upthread from Friday, God knows what's going on here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,677 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

BTW if you're wishing to turn this into a mortelaro approves of Mr Cowen,you'd be wrong,I'd have sacked him
    I do find the newspaper article interesting though for what comes out of it as its a can of worms now for resolving
    If he has witnesses to corroborate a non u turn or if the garda report doesn't actually state that then the case for record to be changed will be strong or the papers will be in trouble

Ant any penaly point charge usually guards will only prosecute only the highest point offence. That is the general run with Gardai.

Slava Ukrainii

just for the record, and so I'm absolutely clear, I'm stating that I don't think it's plausible that there would be no-one attached to the Garda station where Cowen was processed that didn't know who he was, and that his alleged behaviour, that of apparently attempting to evade a checkpoint, of which he later failed a breathalyser test, and the one in the station afterwards wouldn't have been discussed for a fairly considerable period of time there afterwards.

I don't think it's plausible at all.
    Nope - thought never entered my head, I just thought you were being purposely naive on certain matters.

I think you have this bit completely wrong, Cowen has released a statement disputing the Gards version of events, and says he is taking steps to have it "corrected". Would be monumentally stupid, not to mention unethical for a Garda to record a series of events that didn't happen, considering as Cowen has already indicated he was accompanied in the car at the time by a friend he was dropping home.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1282252284244697089?s=19

In other words, govt minister is publicly calling the gards liars.

He better pray the gards don't have dashcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

If the alleged incident happened as described then the above is probably 100% believable, every Garda in the station and probably in the Division would probably have known what happened, no need to go checking in Pulse.

I presume the Times must be reasonably sure of their facts, if not they are in trouble. It gets curiouser and curiouser, Barry's ass is perilously close to the bacon slicer.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    If the alleged incident happened as described then the above is probably 100% believable, every Garda in the station and probably in the Division would probably have known what happened, no need to go checking in Pulse.

I presume the Times must be reasonably sure of their facts, if not they are in trouble. It gets curiouser and curiouser, Barry's ass is perilously close to the bacon slicer.

As above the times are obviously telling the truth, Cowen has basically confirmed the U-turn part of the Garda report above in his own statement.

20200712-113733.png

Can't see how Cowen could sue a newspaper for reporting on something Barry himself says exists, and he's attempting to alter?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Well done to the Sunday Times for printing. We must not let FFG bully our press.

Well done to the Sunday Times for printing. We must not let FFG bully our press.

Cowen has threatened to sue a newspaper for reporting on a Garda Record about him, that Cowen himself says exists but is incorrect.

The gards on the night in question will have to give their recollection of events on the night now I would assume, including any evidence to back up why their reports said what they did?

Barry hasn't thought this through very much.

As above the times are obviously telling the truth, Cowen has basically conf

Can't see how Cowen could sue a newspaper for reporting on sunbathing Barry himself says exists, and he's attempting to alter?

Well now if he was doing that whilst driving,especially if he was steering with his legs through the sun roof,they should throw the book at him :D

It's easy to see why Cowen would be motivated to be dishonest, he has a lot to loose. It's hard to see why a Garda would falsify a report.

Next we'll be told that he just remembered that he left his wallet in the bar and had to go back for it and it was pure coincidence that it occurred as he approached a garda checkpoint while drink driving on a learner permit, nothing to do with evading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Cowen has threatened to sue a newspaper for reporting on a Garda Record about him, that Cowen himself says exists but is incorrect.

The gards on the night in question will have to give their recollection of events on the night now I would assume, including any evidence to back up why their reports said what they did?

Barry hasn't thought this through very much.

Pressure will be on his qualified driver companion now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Every journalist's phone in the country is full of Gardai numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

FF in the news for all the wrong reasons again. When Cowen refused to answer questions, there was always going to be more digging for answers. The fact that he’s pointing fingers at AGS rather than telling us what actually happened shows Cowen and FF have learned nothing. The perception is that they’re at this cute hoor sh**e again and now is not the time for mistrust. Just fire him and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just to be clear, he is disputing that he turned away before he got to the check point?

Just to be clear, he is disputing that he turned away before he got to the check point?

Yes and while I'm no expert, if he had a solicitor with him in the garda Station or engaging, and this was not mentioned nevermind prosecuted, the Gardai will probably have to correct the record if that's on it
    I do not know what implications it has for the newspapers position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He says he did not evade the Gardai.
    He does not say whether or not he performed a U-turn.

Advertisement