Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

This thread is not about Gerry Adams or the IRA.

The days of but but what about SF are over

Congrats on your elevation to trainee Moderator. Presumably the Boards.ie selection panel overlooked your mental age.

Banned

No I'm not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Not sure how this has escalated so much but I think it's actually more do to with the fact that Barry Cowan is an unlikable and contrite individual who tends to double down on his stupidity rather than fee up warts and all at the outset.

He also seems to have put his boss in a very difficult position by:-

1. Accusing the Gardai of a criminal act. Far from ideal to have a new minister take this position and would be interested in seeing Helen McEntee's opinion on this

2. It's very obvious now there have been lies by omission at the very least. How can MM continue to support him?

They should just get rid of him. It's a sideshow to the covid & economic position at the moment, which is where the focus should be.

Definitely - problem is that MM has already antagonised enough of his TDs without adding BIFFO minor to the list. So he may not want to do it.

I reckon that Cowen was put in to Agriculture as an FF "hard man" (synonym for "very thick cunt") who would play hardball with the Green anti-farming nutjobs and thereby reassure the FF farmers who are scared of the veggie eaters. But he's now holed below the waterline and is a liability to the Government. If Catherine Martin beats Ryan she may well try to assert herself by demanding that he go. (Of course that would ensure that FF rallied behind Cowen!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well the story is almost 10 days in and it is the leading story on the Six One news so its not going anywhere. Even Paul Reynolds had to be called in on a Sunday to do a live report from outside Garda Headquarters in the Park.

Reynolds also made the point that the information on Cowen doing his three pint turn when he saw the Garda checkpoint could just have easily come from someone in the legal system or someone in the political sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well the story is almost 10 days in and it is the leading story on the Six One news so its not going anywhere. Even Paul Reynolds had to be called in on a Sunday to do a live report from outside Garda Headquarters in the Park.

Reynolds also made the point that the information on Cowen doing his three pint turn when he saw the Garda checkpoint could just have easily come from someone in the legal system or someone in the political sphere.

i see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

i see what you did there.

He got it wrong, it should have been a two pint turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    He got it wrong, it should have been a two pint turn

does anybody believe he only had 2 pints?

does anybody believe he only had 2 pints?

I think shefwedfan does

More to the pint (sic), does anyone believe this was his first time drink driving as he has claimed. Imagine being that unlucky to get caught on your first ever time drink driving, like what are the odds of that?

And as someone on Twitter pointed out every month he receives 2,700 euro in unvouched expenses. If he wanted to have a few pints at the All Ireland then fine but its not a big ask for him to spend a hundred euro on a hotel room for the night. I mean he is getting the guts of three grand into his account every month and wouldnt even spend 100 of that on a hotel and do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

when Clare Daly arrest was leaked GSOC said a 100 people in the Gardai would have and access to that information https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/publications/investigation-reports/?download=file&file=641

shows it be difficult to track down which gardai leaked it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

when Clare Daly arrest was leaked GSOC said a 100 people in the Gardai would have and access to that information https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/publications/investigation-reports/?download=file&file=641

Can any Guard still access anyones data on Pulse if they feel like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Acosta wrote: »
    Can any Guard still access anyones data on Pulse if they feel like it?
    yes but I think they access via their garda ID, but there are ways around and info abouts arrest gets emailed out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

yes but I think they access via their garda ID, but there are ways around and info abouts arrest gets emailed out too.

I know of a guy who recently got his Garda son to check out his daughters new boyfriend on it. Seems ridiculous in this age of data protection that they can get away with this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They need to log a reason for the access
    These details are different to Claire daly's as they are 4 years old whereas Daly's details were released during the episode I think but I could be wrong on that
    If that's the case,I'd expect any Garda who accessed Cowens data recently would be in the frame if there was no legitimate reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Claire Daly's encounter was 100% political policing.

Cowens actions were from a place where FFG feel untouchable after decades of rule.

If it wasn't for the likes of Daly, Wallace and of course McCabe, the Gardai would be still very corrupt and strongly under the influence of FFG.

I imagine the Gardai are checking their records as we speak. I wonder will the Cowen report go missing similar to when the justice minister Shatter refused to give a breath test and drove off.

I know of a guy who recently got his Garda son to check out his daughters new boyfriend on it. Seems ridiculous in this age of data protection that they can get away with this carry on.

Im aware of a similar situation where a Garda checked up on a new boyfriend on Pulse and reported back a couple of convictions to the girlfriend who was already having doubts about him, she broke it off after that and he is none the wiser. Found it hard to believe it is still going on but I trust the source. Was also told there are ways and means that Gardai can check Pulse without it being logged in their own name and this is how they do it when releasing confidential information to private investigators, ie ex Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Claire has her head well in the Brussels trough now so any little upset was worth it the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I met a fella in a pub holding three pints in his hand and he was complaining about the cost of living

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Claire Daly's encounter was 100% political policing.

Cowens actions were from a place where FFG feel untouchable after decades of rule.

If it wasn't for the likes of Daly, Wallace and of course McCabe, the Gardai would be still very corrupt and strongly under the influence of FFG.

I imagine the Gardai are checking their records as we speak. I wonder will the Cowen report go missing similar to when the justice minister Shatter refused to give a breath test and drove off.

jesus …..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

mynamejeff wrote: »
    jesus …..

You can call me Snow Garden. Always the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,396 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Edgware wrote: »
    I met a fella in a pub holding three pints in his hand and he was complaining about the cost of living

Yeh. The one that always gets me is the heads that will happily spend a few thousand euro per year on booze and fags and give out stink about the cost of private health insurance..spending 3-4 times the yearly cost of health insurance on gargle and fags!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ive heard that urban legend loads of times. Doubt it. I'd imagine every movement gets logged on Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The offence would be the leaking of info.

Maybe it wasn't the guards that leaked the details at all.

Maybe Barry's solicitors didn't get paid, like some of the other people he owed money to and decided the best way to get satisfaction was to tell what they know.

If only he had of come clean in his statement to the Dail when he had the chance, but that wouldn't be the FF way I supposed.

He'd believe Charlie was reincarnated as a racehorse,

And that's the horse that Bertie won his money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The world and his mother would have known about it at the time. A rural TD who suddenly can't drive himself around? Lots of people within FF, locally and nationally, would have known about it, probably lots of people outside FF too.

My bet is that someone within politics was holding onto this info for years and decided now was the best time to leak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I would guess this is bravado talk.

Do you believe everything someone tells you???

These days a garda has to login to pulse and that login and the information they looked at is logged.

And misuse can result in disciplinary action.

Unless the garda is a complete eejit, it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Maybe Barry's solicitors didn't get paid, like some of the other people he owed money to and decided the best way to get satisfaction was to tell what they know.

If only he had of come clean in his statement to the Dail when he had the chance, but that wouldn't be the FF way I supposed.

Incidentally, at the end of his report a few minutes ago Paul Reynolds was pointing out that the source of the leak could also have been from justice, legal or (shock horror....) the political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Edgware wrote: »
    Claire has her head well in the Brussels trough now so any little upset was worth it the hassle

I think you'll find that she put her name before the electorate and was duly returned to represent the constituency.

She only gets the same salary and allowances as any other MEP, all transparent and legal.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the Garda incident.

The world and his mother would have known about it at the time. A rural TD who suddenly can't drive himself around? Lots of people within FF, locally and nationally, would have known about it, probably lots of people outside FF too.

My bet is that someone within politics was holding onto this info for years and decided now was the best time to leak it.

I have absolutely no doubt that it's an inside job. A petulant tantrum from some party man/woman who felt that they were shafted when MM dished out the goodies and once the basics of the story were out there finding the details is bread and butter for any half decent jurno.

I don't understand why Micheál didn't deal with it when the story first broke.

He could have claimed that he appointed him before he was aware of the drink driving, doing a runner, dodgy license issues etc, but even now that he does know he still hasn't done anything.

Fianna Fáil über alles it would seem.

Darc19 wrote: »
    These days a garda has to login to pulse and that login and the information they looked at is logged.

And misuse can result in disciplinary action.

Unless the garda is a complete eejit, it didn't happen.

Spot on, any Garda looking at his Pulse record over the last few weeks had better have a very good reason (or else know some savvy guy in IT who can delete their inquiry from the audit trail)

• Advertisement

Incidentally, at the end of his report a few minutes ago Paul Reynolds was pointing out that the source of the leak could also have been from justice, legal or (shock horror....) the political system.

I thought that was pretty pointed alright, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who would be aware of this outside of the Pulse system.

Advertisement