Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

bazermc wrote: »
    Is it Cowen or Cowan?

Cowan.. I believe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder what the tomorrows papers are about to break. The Taoiseach and Tánaiste were backing him fairly strongly earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good point from PM its always about protecting themselves https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1283131564667408387

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is it Cowen or Cowan?

Spelling never my strong point sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

gmisk wrote: »
    There clearly a lot lot more to come.
    He had a speeding fine before?
    How many years was he driving on a learners license...is he saying he had someone with him on all the journeys?

Exactly - more to come, he refused to answer the questions last week about was he driving with no licence and how many penalty points he had at various times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is it Cowen or Cowan?

Cowen.

For the sake of Boards credibility the OP should be sacked.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

emo72 wrote: »
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Sooner or later no one will be a politician.

He was a TD at the time driving around on a provisional license making his way home to Offaly after having pints in Croke Park. His story didn't add up from the start.

It's more about him doing as he pleases because the rules don't apply to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Cowan.. I believe

No, it is Cowen.

Martin has seen the Garda file...

I wonder what exactly he has seen...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Stupid decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

glasso wrote: »
    you're not very well informed on that score....

https://gript.ie/thomas-byrne-unconvincing-denial/

Ooh there’s no honour among thieves or politicians it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Whoever leaked this story waited until max damage could be carried out.

Cowen is done, he will not get over this.

Martin is on the ropes as well. Some backtracking is on the way to rescue this situation.

So.... what are Paddy Power giving on a woman from the west of the Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stupid decision

Correct. Never drink and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Another politician learns that it's not about the crime, it's about the cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Wow is politics changing in Ireland. Genuinely shocked to see Cowan sacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Some craic if callery tells him to stick it up his bollicks.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Whoever leaked this story waited until max damage could be carried out.

Cowen is done, he will not get over this.

Martin is on the ropes as well. Some backtracking is on the way to rescue this situation.

Was Thomas Byrne for sure

With party colleagues like this, who needs enemies on the opposition benches!

Byrne will be labelled a snake for life now - and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

emo72 wrote: »
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Sooner or later no one will be a politician.

Well, no one that has a drink driving convictions and then wont answers questions about it. As it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,571 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nc6000 wrote:
    It's more about him doing as he pleases because the rules don't apply to him.
    But the rules do apply to him and have been applied to him.
    This is why I don't understand all this silliness from people over it. He has paid the price for his misdeeds like anybody else.
    He shouldn't have to answer questions about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah he's looked really weak and inept waiting this long.

SF as the strong opposition put him under huge pressure.

Waiting this long? If you were going to take someone out of a high ranking position in Government, you'd want to make sure you are informed of the reasons for it and validate that information. In the scheme of things it's still a pretty recent outlay of the details of the drink driving and it came across pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Penalty pints can come back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stupid decision

Which one?

To appoint him.
    To drink drive.
    To sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MM would have to move to protect Govn't, once the story wasn't going to go away. What did Alaister Campell say, if you're still the news on day 4?

Well, no one that has a drink driving convictions and then wont answers questions about it. As it should be.

as has been said before if he had bothered his hole to have a full licence, at the time it would have been penalty points and a fine and would never have come out.

and would have had no need to pull a u-turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another politician learns that it's not about the crime, it's about the cover up.

More like its about getting knifed by a long time colleague having a tantrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

you're not very well informed on that score....

Al I said was that TB has denied it, he has.

Really shows what a strong SF opposition can do, they really held the government to account and forced Cowen out. The pressure was too much and FF folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

good point from PM its always about protecting themselves https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1283131564667408387

PM would throw **** at a flushing toilet in the hope it sticks. I wouldn't take notice of anything that populist eejit says.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Martin in his statement said other ministers had doubts about Cowen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

he pulled a U-ey -> when that was inevitably confirmed he was done - come clean or not.

I don't think so. I reckon if he'd had said nothing and kept apologising, the story would have died. It was already nearly done.

Having the Gardai coming out and not only contradicting him but referring themselves to GSOC ensures the story will run for months.

Advertisement