Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So.... what are Paddy Power giving on a woman from the west of the Shannon?
    who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Really shows what a strong SF opposition can do, they really held the government to account and forced Cowen out. The pressure was too much and FF folded.

Sinn Fein had very little to do with this at all

In politics your worst enemies are within your own party. It was other Fianna Fail members who started this and finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Will he loose his pension because he was sacked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Al I said was that TB has denied it, he has.

Really shows what a strong SF opposition can do, they really held the government to account and forced Cowen out. The pressure was too much and FF folded.

They were hoisted by their own petard, helped by journalists. SF had nothing really to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's the end of that so I guess.

Minister for Agriculture Barry Cowen has been sacked (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/minister-for-agriculture-barry-cowen-has-been-sacked-1.4304599

As Shef said, it would be gone by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

1. There is simply no excuse for drinking and driving.
    2. The minute he was offered a ministerial post he should have reflected as to whether there was skeletons in his
    closet that could come back to haunt him.
    3. Tolerating a person in the cabinet that drove drunk would morally not be tolerable when you are trying to crack
    down on drink driving.
    4. Minimal sympathy for Cowen. We have all done daft things but he did this at an age where he should have
    known better.
    5. A pretty sobering introduction to the role of Taoiseach for Michael Martin.
    6. Will it truly herald an era of actions having political consequences only time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Et tu Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

glasso wrote: »
    https://gript.ie/thomas-byrne-unconvincing-denial/

Was Thomas Byrne for sure

With party colleagues like this, who needs enemies on the opposition benches!

Byrne will be labelled a snake for life now - and rightly so.

If this had been the UK, Cowan would have been clobbered to bits within hours of his checkpoint run-in in Westminster by his own party.

There's a higher tolerance for f*ckery in Ireland than you might imagine.

Genuinely surprised he's gone. Unsure who knifed him, but I'd suspect that it was FG throwing their weight around early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Cowen was earlier asked to resign but refused.

He also refused to make a public statement.

Born thick, bred thick and remained thick until the very end.

The FF Hall of Shame now contains two members of the Cowen family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Correct decision, if in government you need to be whiter then white and I'm surprised that MM found his liathróidí, but I'm confused, when this morning he said there was nothing to see here and a few hours later he sacks him.

Really glad that he was sacked, for too long in this country there has been cute whores and a lot of ducking and diving with no consequences. Hope this is a sign of things to come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Tommy Bynre will be keeping his head down now. A snake in the grass for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭jean contente

jackboy wrote: »
    I thought Micheal Martin said the file wasn’t too bad. Bizarre.
    Something smelt fishy with Martin's choice of words I thought.The phrase he used describing the Garda Report on Cowen's arrest as "not quite as portrayed" is unusual.To me the word 'quite' implies that there is something in the circumstance of Cowen's initial interaction with the Garda that tallies with the Sunday Times reporting.

Perhaps he had forgotten to drop his friend off home and was turning his car to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

eagle eye wrote: »
    But the rules do apply to him and have been applied to him.
    This is why I don't understand all this silliness from people over it. He has paid the price for his misdeeds like anybody else.
    He shouldn't have to answer questions about it now.

But he obviously didn't think the rules apply to him.

How many times was he driving on the provisional unaccompanied or how many times was he driving on a motorway when he shouldn't have been?

Then he decides he shouldn't have to stop at the checkpoint and gets caught after doing a u-turn.

If he had pulled up to the checkpoint he could well have been waved through, it was probably the u-turn which made it certain he was being breathalyzed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will he loose his pension because he was sacked ?

He won't have qualified for one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,493 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would this be a U-turn by An Taoiseach over an alleged U-turn?

jackboy wrote: »
    I thought Micheal Martin said the file wasn’t too bad. Bizarre.

I think the rest of the coalition partners had a word.

This is senior hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hmmm, additional concerns were raised it seems. So we don’t know yet why he was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yurt! wrote: »
    If this had been the UK, Cowan would have been clobbered to bits within hours of his checkpoint run-in in Westminster by his own party.

Genuinely surprised he's gone. Unsure who knifed him, but I'd suspect that it was FG throwing their weight around early on.

A disgruntled member of his own party according to the link on previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He'll be resigning by weeks end.

Close enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Watching the Nine News, it seems there are more revelations to come in the papers. Makes sense. Taoiseach backing Cowen at lunchtime today. Possibly asked to comment on a new story this evening due to be printed tomorrow. Taosieach asked Cowen to make a public statement, he refused. Then asked him to resign and he refused leading to his sacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Great news, next minister of mental health need to be deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No, it is Cowen.

Cowens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Al I said was that TB has denied it, he has.

They are ok on the protest side of politics. But not so constructive a political force.

Not saying that Cowen doesn't deserve to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yurt! wrote: »

There's no truth in that anymore, you won't see a bigger bunch of corrupt politicians outside the benches of Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Spelling never my strong point sorry

cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Labour and AK47 late to the dance again. Backed the govt and Cowen last week when more questions were being sought by the opposition.
    They really should have gone in with Leo and MM on the day after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

According to the 9 o' clock news, Jim McDaid holds the honour for the shortest term as Minister - 1 day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Close enough.

Imagine searching for your posts to praise yourself. FFS did you never hear self praise is no praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

No, it is Cowen.

Think you are wrong but doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow is this the new FF?

Actually sacking a minister who's done outrageous things?

This is ground breaking for them, I'd say the coalition partners had a huge say in this, and that's a good thing.

It's taken 10 days. They were going to brazen it out. Sure, look at their supporters on here with their "it'll be fine tomorrow, nothing to see here schtick".

It wasn't going away though. So, new FF is basically just a shadow of its former brazen self who capitulated.

Advertisement