Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Fair play to Martin for taking the hard decision once he was shown the file.

You have to wonder what a SF TD would have to do to get sacked from their front bench. I'd say drink driving wouldn't even get you onto their ruling Army Council. Your Garda file would have to be considerably larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

L1011 wrote: »
    He won't have qualified for one yet.

even a provisional one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

jackboy wrote: »
    Hmmm, additional concerns were raised it seems. So we don’t know yet why he was sacked.

Probably came out with the old nugget " do you know who i am"

Baz Cowen has nothing to lose now though. I wonder does he have anything on anyone in FFG. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good as this sets a very tough benchmark which will need to be matched from hereon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Under previous Garda commissioners this would all have been swept under the carpet. Cowan's sacking is not down to politics but the result of having an incorruptible Garda commissioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After the initial drink driving issue it seemed all TDs from other parties on Rte radio on the Saturday has excepted Barry cowens contrition on the issue. As I said earlier that he needed to have his legal ducks in a row before he started questioning the Guards version of events he was on iffy ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think you are wrong but doesn't matter.

No, fairly sure I am correct but it does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Yurt! wrote: »
    If this had been the UK, Cowan would have been clobbered to bits within hours of his checkpoint run-in in Westminster by his own party.

Ah the UK where MPs hunt around for safe seats

Londoner Peter Mandelson took a safe seat in Hartlepool, what did he even know about the concerns of his constituents?

If you fail at election and are high profile sure junior MPs will give up their seats to give you that seat as if it belongs to the party.

Ireland is far from perfect but at least we look at the candidate instead of the rosette on their chest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's no truth in that anymore, you won't see a bigger bunch of corrupt politicians outside the benches of Westminster.

The margin of error for screwup cabinet ministers in the UK is far slimmer in Westminster than in Ireland. Always had been, always will be.

touts wrote: »
    Fair play to Martin for taking the hard decision once he was shown the file.

You have to wonder what a SF TD would have to do to get sacked from their front bench. I'd say drink driving wouldn't even get you onto their ruling Army Council. Your Garda file would have to be considerably larger.

Haha.

Keep trying.

MM fecked up badly here. His hand had to be forced to take action. Zero leadership. Sure what would you expect from a fella who was in the cabinet when they destroyed the country.

He could take some PR lessons and leadership lessons from Mary Lou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

emo72 wrote: »
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Sooner or later no one will be a politician.

Oh my God, are we back to this?

Al I said was that TB has denied it, he has.

Really shows what a strong SF opposition can do, they really held the government to account and forced Cowen out. The pressure was too much and FF folded.

FF shot themselves both in the foot and the head with this one. No outside help was required.

what a strong SF opposition can do - lol - that gave me a laugh.

they should maybe stick to not trying to spread Covid at provo-hardmen funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He won't get a Ministerial pension (6 months needed) but he has been a TD for 9 years and presumably will be for a while yet, so his TDs pension is accruing as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

manster wrote: »
    According to the 9 o' clock news, Jim McDaid holds the honour for the shortest term as Minister - 1 day!

I remember that one - but did McDaid get as far as the Aras to collect his seal of office?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Imagine searching for your posts to praise yourself. FFS did you never hear self praise is no praise.

Nah I like praising myself.

If I can't noone else will!!

FF are a shower of snakes and didn't deserve another chance so soon.

Love them to fall like a deck of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He won't get a Ministerial pension (6 months needed) but he has been a TD for 9 years and presumably will be for a while yet, so his TDs pension is accruing as normal.

2 years for a Ministerial pension for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would this be a U-turn by An Taoiseach over an alleged U-turn?

Or could we say 3 pint turns all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's taken 10 days. They were going to brazen it out. Sure, look at their supporters on here with their "it'll be fine tomorrow, nothing to see here schtick".

It wasn't going away though. So, new FF is basically just a shadow of its former brazen self who capitulated.

Their problem is they're not the big boys in a coalition anymore. A few weeks in and they try resort to their stroke politics across the board.

Maybe Martin is trying to pull them away from that, but the likelihood is that FG squeezed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is there a chance he was driving with no licence from speeding and the (now famous) drink driving charge?

A provisional licence holder only has to gain 7 points to be disqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    After the initial drink driving issue it seemed all TDs from other parties on Rte radio on the Saturday has excepted Barry cowens contrition on the issue. As I said earlier that he needed to have his legal ducks in a row before he started questioning the Guards version of events he was on iffy ground.

He should have said **** all else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

L1011 wrote: »
    2 years for a Ministerial pension for quite some time now.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

polesheep wrote: »
    Under previous Garda commissioners this would all have been swept under the carpet. Cowan's sacking is not down to politics but the result of having an incorruptible Garda commissioner.

Or perhaps a corruptable Garda who leaked personal info?
    Could have come about either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bazermc wrote: »
    Is it Cowen or Cowan?

Cowrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fianna Fail really are never going to change are they?

He still thinks he's hard done by.

https://twitter.com/CowenBarry/status/1283136598780018694?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So now he just gets a back row seat to the action?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hotrodder

Think the biggest rat is MM. always had a repetition of being a man that would stab u in back to save his own skin. This has been proven over last few weeks. He needs to be pushed out

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Haha.

Keep trying.

MM fecked up badly here. His hand had to be forced to take action. Zero leadership. Sure what would you expect from a fella who was in the cabinet when they destroyed the country.

He could take some PR lessons and leadership lessons from Mary Lou.

The same Mary Lou who idolises Gerry (I was never in the IRA) Adams. Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cowen doing some amount of tweeting in the last few mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

First minister to be officially sacked for some time.

Advertisement