Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cowan forgot things have moved on , brazen things out in a tri party government won't work. Bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Leadership material right there

Waited for perfect moment to take his shot,and hit opponant below the waterline......great skulduggery,long may it last

Made for FFG leadership thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Still plenty of questions to be answered.

The big one for me is haw did his penalty points stack up? Wasn't he done a couple of times for speeding while on a learner permit . Was he ever driving while disqualified?

And when did the "party" first find out all the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

hotrodder wrote: »
    Think the biggest rat is MM. always had a repetition of being a man that would stab u in back to save his own skin. This has been proven over last few weeks. He needs to be pushed out

Definitely.

Already showing weak leadership with covid 19.

Doesnt belong as Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

batman75 wrote: »
    1. There is simply no excuse for drinking and driving.
    2. The minute he was offered a ministerial post he should have reflected as to whether there was skeletons in his
    closet that could come back to haunt him.
    3. Tolerating a person in the cabinet that drove drunk would morally not be tolerable when you are trying to crack
    down on drink driving.
    4. Minimal sympathy for Cowen. We have all done daft things but he did this at an age where he should have
    known better.
    5. A pretty sobering introduction to the role of Taoiseach for Michael Martin.
    6. Will it truly herald an era of actions having political consequences only time will tell.

A bit simplistic. Is drink driving the biggest moral issue of our time? What about the 500 kids without social workers. What about the people dying literally because they can't get access to the health system? Child poverty.
    No let's instead pat ourselves on the back for witch hunts over drink driving?
    We save what ?20 lives a year by crack Downs on drink driving but we allow thousands of people die by drinking excessively each year. Smoking etc
    Hypocrites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

hotrodder wrote: »
    Think the biggest rat is MM. always had a repetition of being a man that would stab u in back to save his own skin. This has been proven over last few weeks. He needs to be pushed out

As ive said calleary should privately tell him to stick the agriculture ministery up his bollix. And then tell him he will be running for leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think this is harsh. It occurred in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Bobtheman wrote: »
    A bit simplistic. Is drink driving the biggest moral issue of our time? What about the 500 kids without social workers. What about the people dying literally because they can't get access to the health system? Child poverty.
    No let's instead pat ourselves on the back for witch hunts over drink driving?
    We save what 20 lives a year by crack Downs on drink driving but we allow thousands of people die by drinking excessively each year. Smoking etc
    Hypocrites

Tell that to someone who lost a loved one due to a drunk driver

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The same Mary Lou who idolises Gerry (I was never in the IRA) Adams. Are you serious?

All in the past. MM and Cowen will be the lead tomorrow. For all the wrong reasons.
    Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

Does this mean he is sacked as a Td too?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Pretty ****ed to sack him over a drink driving conviction from 4 years ago.

So this governments stance on rehabilitation is pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really shows what a strong SF opposition can do, they really held the government to account and forced Cowen out. The pressure was too much and FF folded.

I dont think this was Sinn Feins scalp. From the 6 oclock news Michael Lehane had a glint in his eye when saying that the story is not going away. Reason for that is the story was beginning to move on to what Michael Martin knew and when he knew it. Martin realised this had the potential to engulf him so he cut Cowen loose before the fire spread.
    glasso wrote: »
    must have been the shortest ministerial tenure ever in Ireland though?

Im thinking so too, appointed June 27th and sacked June 14th, 17 days is all he managed. He has done this to himself, first for driving around on a provisional for decades, if he had a full license then he was under the limit. And then secondly by lying his ass off for the last 10 days and blaming the Gardai before it all caught up on him.

Its finally a good day for political accountability even if it should have come about sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Haha.

Keep trying.

MM fecked up badly here. His hand had to be forced to take action. Zero leadership. Sure what would you expect from a fella who was in the cabinet when they destroyed the country.

He could take some PR lessons and leadership lessons from Mary Lou.

How is Mary Lou. I heard her on the radio this morning. I take it so Tuesday's are the day she does her half day a week. I suppose leadership like that works when you have a strong Army Council making the actual decisions for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FF failing and it's only the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Fann Linn wrote: »
    All in the past. MM and Cowen will be the lead tomorrow. For all the wrong reasons.
    Again.

It can only be truly be in the past when Adams treats the Irish people with due respect and stops lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No.

You can't be sacked as a TD anyway. Seat for the term unless you resign, die or get imprisoned for >6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

He should have answered every single question thrown at him, hours and hours of interview, questioned in the Dail etc. The fact he didn’t tells me there is more to come out and I think back to that road victim lady on PT asking about his points and speeding offences and wonder.

He does seem adamant though he didn’t try and evade but he has no credibility if he won’t defend himself on the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Please educate yourself on the matter we are discussing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Tell that to someone who lost a loved one who at the hands of a drunk driver

Why? They're hardly likely to be the most reasonable or open-minded people to discuss the matter with.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Martin had a chance to show character and leadership by removing Barry the minute this broke.. he brazened it out, hoping it would die down...

All he had to do was say “look, this is not on. I did not know about this, and I should have. It’s a serious issue, and you cannot continue as a minister in this government.“

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Last FF ministers to be sacked was 1970 I think during the Arms Crisis.

Michael Martin made a massive mistake appointing him in the first place, amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cowen Trying to pull MM into the vortex with him , those FF are real snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think this is harsh. It occurred in 2016.

Its more likely what he's been sacked for occurred in the past weeks, namely what was or wasn't told to Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

Should he be the only Minister that is sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That wasnt why he was sacked.
    If that was all there was to the story, his apology in the Dail would have been enough.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    FF failing and it's only the beginning

Ah come on now, I'm no FF fan but the Taoiseach did the right thing.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

polesheep wrote:
    Under previous Garda commissioners this would all have been swept under the carpet. Cowan's sacking is not down to politics but the result of having an incorruptible Garda commissioner.
    That's some load of cock.

Advertisement