Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Sesptic Sheahan on PT now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    He should have answered every single question thrown at him, hours and hours of interview, questioned in the Dail etc.

That was the Bertie Ahern method. Drown the questioner in information and at the end nobody could argue something was held back

Well it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Why? They're hardly likely to be the most reasonable or open-minded people to discuss the matter with.

It's an insult to anyone who lost a loved one to drink driving to have someone convicted of drink driving in the cabinet. It's pretty simple really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah come on now, I'm no FF fan but the Taoiseach did the right thing.

eventually. he did the right thing eventually.

He hung himself there really. If he'd had held up his hands, said sorry and kept the head down, he would have been got away with it.

As soon as he questioned the Garda report and implied that they were lying that was it. The Gardai played him like a fiddle referring the case to GSOC and that ensured the story was never going away.

How did they play him? They followed standard procedure and law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is this the shortest period as a minister in the history of the state?

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    Does this mean he is sacked as a Td too?

Was he 'hired' as a td?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Definitely.
    Already showing weak leadership with covid 19.
    Doesnt belong as Taoiseach.
    Should never have been there with his history but he's no worse than Varadkar. And Varadkar is the reason his party had enough seats to put him there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

batman75 wrote: »
    Tell that to someone who lost a loved one due to a drunk driver

The likelihood is I Will never run into such a person but if you ask any of your friends who has family destroyed by booze or on a waiting list - pretty much every hand will go up. It was sickening that we allowed off licences open but people could not see medical consultants during lock down. But on with the witch hunt and relatively small issues. We can all grand stand over drink driving while ignoring our own ability to ignore social dysfunction around us.
    Meanwhile kids being abused due to having no social worker ...but you won't see anyone losing a job over that or page after page of newsprint over it . 500 kids without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Cowen saying that he gave MM a pulse report,

"he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning."

Can anyone just get their pulse report? Can I ring up the guards and ask for anything they have on me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

eventually. he did the right thing eventually.

In fairness to Martin, the original story wasn't grounds for dismissal. It was only as the deeper story unfolded that it became untenable.

I'd be surprised if the Greens and FG didn't force his hand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

batman75 wrote: »
    It's an insult to anyone who lost a loved one to drink driving to have someone convicted of drink driving in the cabinet. It's pretty simple really :)

No it isn't, it's the epitome of sanctimonious virtue signalling.

The amount of booze that he had in his system was just over the very low threshold for someone on a provisional licence and if he had held a full licence (which he should have had after over 20 years' driving experience) he could have continued on his merry way without anyone being any the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Home to Offaly tonight.
    Scoops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Jim McDaid has that honour I think? Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

No, Jim MC Daid has that honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

"he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning."

Can anyone just get their pulse report? Can I ring up the guards and ask for anything they have on me?

I'm sure you can if you're the alleged offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In fairness to Martin, the original story wasn't grounds for dismissal. It was only as the deeper story unfolded that it became untenable.

I'd be surprised if the Greens and FG didn't force his hand though.

it was clear after cowans speech in the Dail that he wasnt being entirely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The likelihood is I Will never run into such a person but if you ask any of your friends who has family destroyed by booze or on a waiting list - pretty much every hand will go up. It was sickening that we allowed off licences open but people could not see medical consultants during lock down. But on with the witch hunt and relatively small issues. We can all grand stand over drink driving while ignoring our own ability to ignore social dysfunction around us.

The reality is he has been sacked for having drove drunk which is the central point behind this thread. It ain't got nothing to do with social dysfunction and everything to do with personal responsibility for the choices an individual makes/made.

Yes, under the Freedom of information act.

Cowen says

"I am responsible for the offence with which I was convicted 4 years ago not for an inaccurate Garda entry on Pulse about that event. Ten days ago and this afternoon the Taoiseach believed my failure of 2016 didn’t warrant my removal from office but he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning. "

Cowen is spreading the love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lemme get this right. People are complaining about Martin for sacking a lying drink driver, that's your issue.

How do you know a FF supporter? They'll call you a rat if you have issues with their dodgy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Yes, you can do this with any section of government. Social welfare, revenue, hse, etc.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes, under the Freedom of information act.

Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Home to Offaly tonight.
    Scoops?

The Lakes of Ponchartrain will be getting a blast tonight to help drown the sorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sacked.... Social media strikes again.
    I don't think he should've been sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Ridiculous IMO if he was sacked for his drink driving* offence (*which I would never condone).

Also ridiculous that MM didn't know about this. Are there no vetting systems for politicians and TDs?

But if he lied about, or attempted to fabricate anything regarding the circumstances surrounding his drink driving, in the here and now, then good riddance.

It's insane that Cowen got sacked over this. The media and all the idiots on doc so media have too much power these days. World's gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Yes. FOI. You are entitled to any info gardau have on record about you. Some could be redacted obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Miriam O'Callaghan really grilling Simon Coveney on RTE1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sacked.... Social media strikes again.
    I don't think he should've been sacked.

Might be more skeletons in the closet yet to be released.

Advertisement