Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

polesheep wrote: »
    Under previous Garda commissioners this would all have been swept under the carpet. Cowan's sacking is not down to politics but the result of having an incorruptible Garda commissioner.

Drew Harris wasn't Garda commissioner when Cowen was arrested for drink driving, and prosecuted for the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm confused. :confused:

All the FFers were telling us a few days ago that this story was over and done with. :o

It's almost like they haven't a clue. The days of endless backing for their crooks are gone. :pac:

One would have thought the continuous decline in their vote and the fact that they are now in coalition with their faux enemies would have made them realise times have changed. :D

Poor Cowen. That sweet, sweet ministerial pension. Only about 700 days short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's insane that Cowen got sacked over this. The media and all the idiots on doc so media have too much power these days. World's gone mad.

Maria Bailey got sacked.

What's worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sacked.... Social media strikes again.
    I don't think he should've been sacked.

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan really grilling Simon Coveney on RTE1

Coveney is loving. Loving it.

He's dying to say " dont vote for those fu kers again"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Cowen says

"I am responsible for the offence with which I was convicted 4 years ago not for an inaccurate Garda entry on Pulse about that event. Ten days ago and this afternoon the Taoiseach believed my failure of 2016 didn’t warrant my removal from office but he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning. "

Cowen is spreading the love.

Jerry,Jerry,Jerry :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

It's insane that Cowen got sacked over this. The media and all the idiots on doc so media have too much power these days. World's gone mad.
    Exactly, they are effectively encouraging life long punishment for past transgressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anything?
    Anything with your name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cowen says

"I am responsible for the offence with which I was convicted 4 years ago not for an inaccurate Garda entry on Pulse about that event. Ten days ago and this afternoon the Taoiseach believed my failure of 2016 didn’t warrant my removal from office but he now appears to have changed his mind based on a Pulse report I gave him this morning. "

Cowen is spreading the love.

MM did a U turn, should be a familiar manover to Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

His tweet indicates naivety and ignorance if he doesn't understand the seriousness of drink driving. It looks to me like the cabinet has been spared his obviously dubious pearls of wisdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No truck with the Cowans, but this was some shafting, certainly looks like he was set up and knifed in the back by one of his own within the party.

It's big boys rules I suppose, but what makes it particularly distasteful IMHO is the involvement (not for the first time) of members of the Gardai in politics.

Stinks of political policing, Mr Harris should root out whoever was involved in this set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maria Bailey got sacked.

What's worst?
    This is what a child comes up with when he does something wrong.

I'd say with Drew harris and GSOC now involved whatever Garda accessed this info and leaked it will be turfed out. Rightly so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What's wrong with our police, that's 2 people who had stuff leaked to the press. I thought standards were higher after the whistleblowing fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Drink driver...

It’s absurd someone who could get behind the wheel of a car after gargling and drive home. A man of his age, his position, his influence..

Not some 20 something lad about town here..

Have you any bloody standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It wasn't the actual offense that caused the sacking. It was the subversion and being very less than truthful that caused it.

He was old dodgy FF and that showed clearly.

MM should never have given him the position

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Larry goodman pushed for this , he was going to rattle some feathers . A loss to the farmers and shame on sf but u can’t have any skeletons in the closet when in public life .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Barry needs to fall on his sword with a bit more dignity here. It was no mystery to anyone with a cursory knowledge of the personalities in Leinster House that he wasn't ministerial material. Martin will also have to swallow this one.

We're off to a bad start and the country doesn't need this farrago.

No, it is Cowen.
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    Cowan.. I believe
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cowen, for some reason.

We'll settle at Clown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why was Martin kicking the ball to touch a few hours ago and claiming that the Garda file(which he had seen) did not show what was claimed.

Something else must have come out.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

batman75 wrote: »
    It's an insult to anyone who lost a loved one to drink driving to have someone convicted of drink driving in the cabinet. It's pretty simple really :)

He was never before the courts. I'm not even sure it counts as a conviction? It's ok to have people in a cabinet who wrecked the country in 2008? Who allowed gross incompetence? Your sense of morality is quite narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hotrodder

As ive said calleary should privately tell him to stick the agriculture ministery up his bollix. And then tell him he will be running for leadership.

Totally agree. Think it’s time FF got a true leader and not someone looking for a final political trone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd say with Drew harris and GSOC now involved whatever Garda accessed this info and leaked it will be turfed out. Rightly so.

No proof that's what happened.

Typical. No respect for AGS. Throwing wild accusations at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Will he loose his pension because he was sacked ?

Pension is now based on time in the position, so unlikely any entitlement has accrued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Anything with your name on it.

So even special branch files on an individual would be handed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman75

Bobtheman wrote: »
    He was never before the courts. I'm not even sure it counts as a conviction? It's ok to have people in a cabinet who wrecked the country in 2008? Who allowed gross incompetence? Your sense of morality is quite narrow

Thems that get elected get to be involved in Govt if the chips fall right for them it ain't got nothing to do with morals :)

I'm sure you remember it was his brother Brian at the helm when the poo hit the fan back in 2009. Ol Bertie bailed out cute hoor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Nah I like praising myself.

If I can't noone else will!!

FF are a shower of snakes and didn't deserve another chance so soon.

Love them to fall like a deck of cards.

Now if only leo would do the decent thing and bin his insurance scammer from his party. The lad who produced false fotos to try to scam a few quid from the insurance companies that we all pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

batman75 wrote: »
    2. The minute he was offered a ministerial post he should have reflected as to whether there was skeletons in his closet that could come back to haunt him.
    You can be sure that this bothers Micheal Martin most of all - that the party has to take such measures so soon. He must be livid with Cowen.

Surprised they didn't get him to do a 'I'm resigning to stop this story sidetracking the govt in our important work' statement.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    What's wrong with our police, that's 2 people who had stuff leaked to the press. I thought standards were higher after the whistleblowing fiasco

Exactly. It should be straight forward based on pulse access who viewed this info and leaked it.

Advertisement