Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Yurt! wrote: »
    Barry needs to fall on his sword with a bit more dignity here. It was no mystery to anyone with a cursory knowledge of the personalities in Leinster House that he wasn't ministerial material. Martin will also have to swallow this one.

We're off to a bad start and the country doesn't need this farrago.

Barry wont fall on his sword, he will try stick it into MM back as he falls.

I'm sensing a Micheál Martin resignation not too far over the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It wouldn't surprise me if Cowen resigns his Dail seat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He'll return to Offaly a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

osarusan wrote: »
    You can be sure that this bothers Micheal Martin most of all - that the party has to take such measures so soon. He must be livid with Cowen.

More so Tommy Byrne I'd say.

I don't meehole will survive this. Calleary will probably refuse the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

walshb wrote: »
    Drink driver...

It’s absurd someone who could get behind the wheel of a car after gargling and drive home. A man of his age, his position, his influence..

Not some 20 something lad about town here..

Have you any bloody standards?

I remember a time when drunk driving was not such a big thing at all and the Garda would let you drive on if you didn’t look or act too drunk. That’s back in the 1960’s. I probably did it myself back then.
    Thank God that’s no longer the case now and very few would chance it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't meehole will survive this. Calleary will probably refuse the post.

Icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

So even special branch files on an individual would be handed over?
    No, various things can be exempt.

Go request your data from the Gardai and see what you get in your kinder egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pretty ****ed to sack him over a drink driving conviction from 4 years ago.

So this governments stance on rehabilitation is pretty clear.

They're alll out tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I remember a time when drunk driving was not such a big thing at all and the Garda would let you drive on if you didn’t look or act too drunk. That’s back in the 1960’s. I probably did it myself back then.
    Thank God that’s no longer the case now and very few would chance it now.

Absolutely. Now and recently it is seen as abhorrent. And rightly so!

What he did, only 4 years ago was a disgrace.

I think people are forgetting this. And it was NOT a mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It wouldn't surprise me if Cowen resigns his Dail seat now.

Let's not get crazy now.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I think this is harsh. It occurred in 2016.

Yes but accusing the Gards of lying and trying to playing the public as fools happened the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I doubt that. He's hanging on for dear life. FG are holding all the cards here, and want the Greens to fold first.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's insane that Cowen got sacked over this. The media and all the idiots on doc so media have too much power these days. World's gone mad.

Really? You think that a serial law breaking, drink driving antisocial individual is an appropriate person to serve as a minister in our government.

I have to disagree. Respect for the law would be the least I would expect from someone we trust to govern us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

batman75 wrote: »
    It's an insult to anyone who lost a loved one to drink driving to have someone convicted of drink driving in the cabinet. It's pretty simple really :)

The level he had was below the permitted level of many countries including NI and Britain.

The vast majority of those in accidents involving alcohol, are way over the limit.

This does not belittle the offence, but "catastrophe syndrome" response is as stupid as Cowens response.

He was not sacked for the offence. It was the lies and subterfuge and weaseling that simply was unbecoming.

Christ, did he really think people would believe that he had 2 drinks BEFORE the match and it still registered about 1.2 drinks 4 hours later?

What an effing fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Limpy wrote: »
    What's wrong with our police, that's 2 people who had stuff leaked to the press. I thought standards were higher after the whistleblowing fiasco

Some appear to use PULSE like it was Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Well before this ever blew up, I could never understand why FF were promoting this second biffo ,when they should have been distancing themselves as far as possible from the first biffo, were there no other midlands candidates with no baggage ? really bad planning/thinking by FF to be reminding us where they came from when rebuilding lost faith caused by the original and biggest drunk biffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

In all honesty did not see this coming. Listening to meehole earlier it was like he was implying that the Garda record did not reflect what the media reported what it said. it seemed like he was trying to say Cowan was right. Thought they were all trying to sweep it under the carpet. Bizarre stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, both of them. Jesus he must be sickened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Now if only leo would do the decent thing and bin his insurance scammer from his party. The lad who produced false fotos to try to scam a few quid from the insurance companies that we all pay for.
    Alan Farrell? He is such a fecking chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SeaFields wrote: »
    In all honesty did not see this coming. Listening to meehole earlier it was like he was implying that the Garda record did not reflect what the media reported what it said. it seemed like he was trying to say Cowan was right. Thought they were all trying to sweep it under the carpet. Bizarre stuff!

I saw it coming..

Primetime last week was the nail..

The lady on who castigates him.. I got a real vibe then..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Do you think it will go this far ?

He is on the ropes tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Gavin Reilly speculating on The Tonight Show that Thomas Byrne might replace him. :eek:

Some appear to use PULSE like it was Facebook.

I dont this is the case anymore. Each and every mouse click is logged as is the reason for a garda accessing a file. With everything that has gone on with whistleblowing etc im not sure many members would risk this. Really though i'd argue that not every member should have full access to the system. That's just crazy carry on tbh. In no other business with a ICT system like pulse would anyone and everyone have full access. There would be different levels of access of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Darragh O'Brien is a good laugh now on Virgin Media.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

glasso wrote: »
    https://gript.ie/thomas-byrne-unconvincing-denial/

Was Thomas Byrne for sure

With party colleagues like this, who needs enemies on the opposition benches!

Byrne will be labelled a snake for life now - and rightly so.
    You've posted this link 3 times this evening - that's spamming - do not do so again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Michaél Martin said he obtained the Garda record on Barry and it was nowhere near as had as was being portrayed by the media etc.

a few hours later cowen is sacked.

Guess Michaél was lying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HBC08 wrote: »
    Yes but accusing the Gards of lying and trying to playing the public as fools happened the last week.

Yeah it wasn’t the incident in 2016 that was the major issue although serious it seemed people had excepted his apology. Did he get the Maria bailey legal advice or what ? Why did he accuse the Garda of leaking info and lying about his record ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

nc6000 wrote: »
    Gavin Reilly speculating on The Tonight Show that Thomas Byrne might replace him. :eek:

Brutus trying to replace Caesar.

Advertisement