Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

walshb wrote: »
    Absolutely. Now and recently it is seen as abhorrent. And rightly so!

What he did, only 4 years ago was a disgrace.

I think people are forgetting this. And it was NOT a mistake!

I thought there was a really stigma to drink driving. Then a known one topped the poll in my area. So, it showed me people didn't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Pretty ****ed to sack him over a drink driving conviction from 4 years ago.

So this governments stance on rehabilitation is pretty clear.

Look there is more to this than meets the eye, the Garda File was shown to MM today, so what ever was in the file or was discovered by MM, may have been a PULSE entry , we dont know. It did not tally with Cowens side of the story.

Apparently it is alleged that Cowen did a U turn before the Garda checkpoint, plus on his 4th provisional licence at 49 yrs of age also with penaly points, not exactly a clean record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Darc19 wrote: »

Cowens out, never liked him, always sleazy and not a patch on his brother.

MM should never have appointed him

No true FF'er?
    If this is the worst we see from FF we'll be very very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I dont this is the case anymore. Each and every mouse click is logged as is the reason for a garda accessing a file. With everything that has gone on with whistleblowing etc im not sure many members would risk this. Really though i'd argue that not every member should have full access to the system. That's just crazy carry on tbh. In no other business with a ICT system like pulse would anyone and everyone have full access. There would be different levels of access of course.
    Not every Garda has full access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It was one relatively innocuous event 4 years ago. He should be allowed to get on with his life and his career. He didn't murder anyone.

What happened 4 years ago was done and dusted last week in Dail Eireann or the NCH.

He fell tonight because of pending revelations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I thought there was a really stigma to drink driving. Then a known one topped the poll in my area. So, it showed me people didn't really care.

I am not saying that people would not vote for a drink driver. People vote for fooking anything in life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Darragh O'Brien is a good laugh now on Virgin Media.

There all ****ing deluded.

"Im not sure what was said"

"They met a few times today"

"Michael has been decisive this evening"

"Micheal Martin is a good person"

Would ye go and get ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It was one relatively innocuous event 4 years ago. He should be allowed to get on with his life and his career. He didn't murder anyone.

No it wasn't, he was driving illegally for years. Drink driving is innocuous now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

then he should have publically admitted to it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    Should never have been there with his history but he's no worse than Varadkar. And Varadkar is the reason his party had enough seats to put him there.

I guess your incessant Harris bashing last week which didn't go anywhere, had to change.

Yes, it's everyone else's fault that FF are FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

nc6000 wrote: »
    Gavin Reilly speculating on The Tonight Show that Thomas Byrne might replace him. :eek:

That is farcical if that happens, and will do further catastrophic damage to the cabinet.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    That is farcical if that happens, and will do further catastrophic damage to the cabinet.

Especially after how he spoke about Jennifer Cuffe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Will MM be making a more detailed statement into why he sent BC for his dinner early?

then he should have publically admitted to it then.

Strange thing is that it WAS known back then. Maybe it’s because of my hobby, greyhound racing, that I’ve known about it. It wasn’t the big secret that some are making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SeaFields wrote: »
    In all honesty did not see this coming. Listening to meehole earlier it was like he was implying that the Garda record did not reflect what the media reported what it said. it seemed like he was trying to say Cowan was right. Thought they were all trying to sweep it under the carpet. Bizarre stuff!

I think it's bizarre too. I bet a tenner that there is another story about more transgressions coming...Michael got wind and got rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Waste. of. time.

Think this is harsh on Cowen and the social media outrage attacking him is shameful. Micheal Martin is a self-serving rat and the quicker he's out of office the better. This has been a nothing affair and the likes of Mary-Lou saying it's anything but is face-palm stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So even special branch files on an individual would be handed over?
    Yes, they'll be heavily redacted but any information pertaining to you is available to you. I'm not sure about an active investigation though.

In fairness to Martin, the original story wasn't grounds for dismissal. It was only as the deeper story unfolded that it became untenable.

I'd be surprised if the Greens and FG didn't force his hand though.

This is correct. But there's almost no doubt that Martin knew it way before he admitted he knew it.

It got a bit too close for comfort for him today I guess and he had to act.

It's pretty.impressive that he's managed to actually do the right thing and still look way worse. It's quite a skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It wouldn't surprise me if Cowen resigns his Dail seat now.

Never. He's a total 'Daddy's boy', a fella who grew up the son of a TD who had his path marked out for him years ago. Was appointed head of state Quango's with no experience and made a balls of it all along. The fact that he has the arrogance to drive for decades on a provisional and dump his car around Tullamore with total disregard for everyone else, shows the class of person he is.

He wouldn't be able to do anything else, other than TD. He's a 'fixer' politician, a great man for organising medical cards and pushing through grants etc etc, and that's about it. he would have been a dire Minister for Agriculture, so for that alone, I'm glad he's gone.

He'll stay in the seat till he retires on his pension, probably be relelected a few times and then and he'll pass it on to his child/niece/nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »
    He won't have qualified for one yet.

What about "disappointment" money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

No it isn't, it's the epitome of sanctimonious virtue signalling.

The amount of booze that he had in his system was just over the very low threshold for someone on a provisional licence and if he had held a full licence (which he should have had after over 20 years' driving experience) he could have continued on his merry way without anyone being any the wiser.

So you should get a license without sitting a test if you have 20+ years experience driving on a provisional? Unaccompanied? After taking alcohol?

Ok so.

Not every Garda has full access to it.

Im not sure about that. The access and the actual file structure is basic to say the least. It's extremely hard to implement different types of access rights groups etc due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Strange thing is that it WAS known back then. Maybe it’s because of my hobby, greyhound racing, that I’ve known about it. It wasn’t the big secret that some are making it out to be.

There must be something else, if getting sacked for something that happened four years and you have been penalised than surly no one should be left run if they have had any sort of an offence.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's insane that Cowen got sacked over this. The media and all the idiots on doc so media have too much power these days. World's gone mad.

It really hasn't. You have proven yourself over and over to be completely out of your depth on this one.

And you're not even an FF supporter. Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

"known" isn't public, the dogs in the street knew isn't public, "everybody knew" isn't public.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Never. He's a total 'Daddy's boy', a fella who grew up the son of a TD who had his path marked out for him years ago. Was appointed head of state Quango's with no experience and made a balls of it all along. The fact that he has the arrogance to drive for decades on a provisional and dump his car around Tullamore with total disregard for everyone else, shows the class of person he is.

He wouldn't be able to do anything else, other than TD. He's a 'fixer' politician, a great man for organising medical cards and pushing through grants etc etc, and that's about it. he would have been a dire Minister for Agriculture, so for that alone, I'm glad he's gone.

He'll stay in the seat till he retires on his pension, probably be relelected a few times and then and he'll pass it on to his child/niece/nephew.

Agreed.

One only needs to look a few miles down the road at Lord Lowry.

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan really grilling Simon Coveney on RTE1

No way. Miriam's grilling a non-FF politician?

If Jim was in government she wouldn't utter a peep.

This is correct. But there's almost no doubt that Martin knew it way before he admitted he knew it.

It got a bit too close for comfort for him today I guess and he had to act.

It's pretty.impressive that he's managed to actually do the right thing and still look way worse. It's quite a skill.
    It's a FF skill set.

Exactly, they are effectively encouraging life long punishment for past transgressions.

Honestly. This is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭WildWater

I think this puts Dara in a very interesting position. MM has shown terrible judgement not just in BC but in not appointing his deputy to a ministerial post. That smacked of keeping DC too inexperience to challenge him. Ironically not being a minister gave DC a free pass on the whole Cowen controversy. He was able to sit back and watch the sh1t storm unfold.

Now, if MM doesn’t offer DC the post tomorrow then DC is made look a like an absolute fool a) for his own comments about ‘strong words’ with MM in the aftermath of the ministerial appointment and b) for being slighted a second time. What deputy leader would stand for that?

If MM does offer him the ministry then DC has all the cards to win or blow the game. If he accepts then he hitches his wagon to MM and that could be his own death knell. If he turns it down, he further exposed MM as inept and positions himself as the next natural leader of FF.

I’ve no doubt DC is smart enough to see this. Only question in my mind is does he have the balls?

Advertisement