Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I guess your incessant Harris bashing last week which didn't go anywhere, had to change.
    I'm comparing the last two Taoiseach, why would I bring by up Harris.

But seeing as you did, he should have been sacked after the children's hospital fiasco. That's much worse than what Barry Cowen did. We'll all be paying for what Harris let happen for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As opening fortnights of a government go this has been a mess for MM. He and FF can't seem to get out of their own way. You'd think after 9 years out of office they'd have had everyone on the same page but it seems it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No way. Miriam's grilling a non-FF politician?

If Jim was in government she wouldn't utter a peep.

Saw that. A lot was OTT..

The general public need to be informed, but at the same time, for an effective government for the people, the general public should never know “too” much..

She was a little unnecessarily OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

WildWater wrote: »
    I think this puts Dara in a very interesting position. MM has shown terrible judgement not just in BC but in not appointing his deputy to a ministerial post. That smacked of keeping DC too inexperience to challenge him. Ironically not being a minister gave DC a free pass on the whole Cowen controversy. He was able to sit back and watch the sh1t storm unfold.

Now, if MM doesn’t offer DC the post tomorrow then DC is made look a like an absolute fool a) for his own comments about ‘strong words’ with MM in the aftermath of the ministerial appointment and b) for being slighted a second time. What deputy leader would stand for that?

If MM does offer him the ministry then DC has as the cards to win or blow the game. If he accepts then he hitches his wagon to MM and that could be his own death knell. If he turns it down, he further exposed MM as inept and positions himself as the next natural leader of FF.

I’ve no doubt DC is smart enough to see this. Only question in my mind is does he have the balls?

I hope DC does tell him to ask his bollix.

There'd be some craic if Tommy "gun" Byrne gotbthe nod. That'd be deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I’d believe a random Garda’s version of events over this chancer any day.

Personally, I'd believe neither. The AGS are provably riddled with corruption, as are Zanu FF. I assume, until proven otherwise, that any random Garda member AND any random FF minister - f*** it, party member, it's in their gene pool - are lying until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement

"known" isn't public, the dogs in the street knew isn't public, "everybody knew" isn't public.

Who are you quoting? I didn’t mention the dogs in the street or that everyone knew. Your words. Not mine. I just said that it was known. Obviously he wasn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I had thought Mary Lou McDonald was a snake, but I was mistaken, she's a vulture that feasts on whatever meat is left on the bones of a dying animal.

Keep sucking those lemons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

walshb wrote: »
    Saw that. A lot was OTT..

The general public need to be informed, but at the same time, for an effective government for the people, the general public should never know “too” much..

She was a little unnecessarily OTT.

Coveney almost laughed at her aggression at one point

Limpy wrote: »
    What's wrong with our police, that's 2 people who had stuff leaked to the press. I thought standards were higher after the whistleblowing fiasco

Why did you think that? I'm genuinely curious. AGS are provably and obviously riddled with corruption, from top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

will it go to Anne Rabbitte she doesn't seem very intelligent.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm comparing the last two Taoiseach, why would I bring by up Harris.

But seeing as you did, he should have been sacked after the children's hospital fiasco. That's much worse than what Barry Cowen did. We'll all be paying for what Harris let happen for a long time.
    Nowhere near as bad as the banking guarantee that Mehole had direct involvement in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wonder how long Martin survives, the leadership race was already kicked off by Jim O'Callaghan. Now MM has an almighty mess some of his own making to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think it’s safe to say that when Cowen claimed what was in the AGS report on him was “incorrect” it was highly suspicious that was something disturbing in there.

He never claimed it was libelous or totally false and he hid away like a true FF rat hoping his weasel words would save him.

There’ll be a lot of older retired FFers laughing away at him tonight with their big pensions at how it has all panned out.

Was next for him? Play the victim to the local voters?

If he was done by the Sunday Times is he now a “victim” of the London meeja?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

will it go to Anne Rabbit she doesn't seem very intelligent.

Anne is a very decent individual, a hard-working poliitican, and a strong media performer. I wouldn't have her down as a favourite for an important portfolio like agriculture though.

Why?
    so it wouldn't come back to haunt him, he doesn't seem to get that he is a public person, then and even more so as minister.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I think it’s safe to say that when Cowen claimed what was in the AGS report on him was “incorrect” it was highly suspicious that was something disturbing in there.

He never claimed it was libelous or totally false and he hid away like a true FF rat hoping his weasel words would save him.

There’ll be a lot of older retired FFers laughing away at him tonight with their big pensions at how it has all panned out.

Was next for him? Play the victim to the local voters?

If he was done by the Sunday Times is he now a “victim” of the London meeja?

He'll be voted back in. Possibly as an independent. Look at Mickser Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sacked.... Social media strikes again.
    I don't think he should've been sacked.

It's not like a picture of him wearing an offensive t-shirt from 15 years ago got him fires...

He drank drive, lied about it, claimed expenses as if he was driving during his ban, other issues and not being clear in answering questions on the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm speculating here, but what's the odds that the next revelations about Barry is going to be what some of us had been questioning at the start (speeding fines/points meaning he shouldn't have been on the road anyway) or they have actual video footage of him pulling the U-turn at the checkpoint?

No way Michael would have pulled his own spectacular uturn from hours earlier unless there's something to emerge in the morning papers.

I dont this is the case anymore. Each and every mouse click is logged as is the reason for a garda accessing a file. With everything that has gone on with whistleblowing etc im not sure many members would risk this. Really though i'd argue that not every member should have full access to the system. That's just crazy carry on tbh. In no other business with a ICT system like pulse would anyone and everyone have full access. There would be different levels of access of course.

Come now. Institutional Ireland is a utter cesspit of depraved corruption - the suicide of the super in Tallaght, the Kinahans, the hacking of the phone of the first Ombudsman, who fled in fear back to England, being among the tips of a very, very sordid iceberg..then go back to the Haughey era corruption and so on...the well-known and politically connected property developer whose fortune was made buying scrap metal from the Argies (HAHAHAHA). Even a very brave journalist of my acquaintance - one of the few in Banana Republic Oireland - wouldn't touch that one until he was safely dead.

To call it redolent of South America would be a grave insult to the fine countries of South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The Crazy Gang are back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm sensing a Micheál Martin resignation not too far over the horizon.

He wont be resigning but he needs to bring Dara Calleary into the fold quick. If he doesnt then both Calleary and Jim O'Callaghan SC will be sharpening the knives on the backbenches.
    I doubt that. He's hanging on for dear life. FG are holding all the cards here, and want the Greens to fold first.

John Mooney of the Sunday Times blew the Cowen cover up wide open with the U turn article last weekend. Mooney has sources at the highest levels of government and the Gardai. The same journalist also broke the Heather Humphreys story which still hasnt been addressed by Heather herself. If it turns out that she perverted the course of justice then she has to be sacked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

For me it was the very contrite apology, “I am very and sincerely sorry,, but” attitude that shone through. The arrogance of his brother’s old party suddenly came to the fore, in a sort of “we are back”. MM could see this and the potential danger of awakening the ghosts of the past. He could also see a potential rival, who would always probably be pi**ing in, or out of the tent so he decided to get rid of him. I think the real story is how he managed to keep this from blowing up in the media before now. Even back then it was more than news worthy and should have featured a far higher media profile than it initially received. He wasn’t sacked for his initial actions, just for being an arrogant bstard. Enjoy cribbing on the back benches it won’t look like sour grapes. Naively I hope this act bodes well and serves as a deterrent, could have been worse could have been drunk and fallen of a swing.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm speculating here, but what's the odds that the next revelations about Barry is going to be what some of us had been questioning at the start (speeding fines/points meaning he shouldn't have been on the road anyway) or they have actual video footage of him pulling the U-turn at the checkpoint?

No way Michael would have pulled his own spectacular uturn from hours earlier unless there's something to emerge in the morning papers.

Hmmm. Because of the periods and start date of his first provisional license he would have been entitled to 12 points i think. 7 points only applies to those who obtained their first learners permit from 2012 or later??

Why when the Sunday times accused him of doing a u turn didnt he just say " i was served with an fcpn for drink driving and have served the penalty. I have nothing else to say now".

When he put it to the cops he ****ed up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Why did you think that? I'm genuinely curious. AGS are provably and obviously riddled with corruption, from top to bottom.

Well it has definitely opened my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Should have been sacked on day one. But that's the FF way, see how the wind is blowing.

Will Dara Colleary be the new Minister for AG now?

don't think there is anymore to come from this story the sudden change today is about the other parties not being happy, were they told by M about the evasion bit last week when he was told

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Come now. Institutional Ireland is a utter cesspit of depraved corruption - the suicide of the super in Tallaght, the Kinahans, the hacking of the phone of the first Ombudsman, who fled in fear back to England, being among the tips of a very, very sordid iceberg..then go back to the Haughey era corruption and so on...the well-known and politically connected property developer whose fortune was made buying scrap metal from the Argies (HAHAHAHA). Even a very brave journalist of my acquaintance - one of the few in Banana Republic Oireland - wouldn't touch that one until he was safely dead.

To call it redolent of South America would be a grave insult to the fine countries of South America.

Is that you Gemma?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

don't think there is anymore to come from this story the sudden change today is about the other parties not being happy, were they told by M about the evasion bit last week when he was told

Fine Gael TD's on TV tonight are making it pretty clear the Tánaiste didn't have an issue with Cowen staying on. The Tánaiste backed him on the radio earlier today. Eamon Ryan had backed him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The statement by the Taoiseach in the dail this evening was interesting. He outlined what we already knew and that he'd seen the file in question today and had asked barry cowen to consider a response which MM said barry cowen wasn't willing to make a statement to the dail about it again and in MMs view having his government colleagues have to address this issue wasn't expectable.

• Advertisement

brucky wrote: »
    For me it was the very contrite apology, “I am very and sincerely sorry,, but” attitude that shone through. The arrogance of his brother’s old party suddenly came to the fore, in a sort of “we are back”. MM could see this and the potential danger of awakening the ghosts of the past. He could also see a potential rival, who would always probably be pi**ing in, or out of the tent so he decided to get rid of him. I think the real story is how he managed to keep this from blowing up in the media before now. Even back then it was more than news worthy and should have featured a far higher media profile than it initially received. He wasn’t sacked for his initial actions, just for being an arrogant bstard. Enjoy cribbing on the back benches it won’t look like sour grapes. Naively I hope this act bodes well and serves as a deterrent, could have been worse could have been drunk and fallen of a swing.

Michael Martin couldnt have actually handled this worse if he had of tried. What a ****ing mess. Calleary must be delighted.

Advertisement