Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Fine Gael TD's on TV tonight are making it pretty clear the Tánaiste didn't have an issue with Cowen staying on. The Tánaiste backed him on the radio earlier today. Eamon Ryan had backed him too.
    well maybe they have more of problem with Michael Martin then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He is still a TD, so feck him really. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He wont be resigning but he needs to bring Dara Calleary into the fold quick. If he doesnt then both Calleary and Jim O'Callaghan SC will be sharpening the knives on the backbenches.

John Mooney of the Sunday Times blew the Cowen cover up wide open with the U turn article last weekend. Mooney has sources at the highest levels of government and the Gardai. The same journalist also broke the Heather Humphreys story which still hasnt been addressed by Heather herself. If it turns out that she perverted the course of justice then she has to be sacked too.

I think though we need to know where and how his informatiom was obtained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

well maybe they have more of problem with Michael Martin then

Minister Coveney stated that the Tánaiste unequivocally assured the Taoiseach that he would back whatever decision he chose to make. So doesn't seem like that analysis is right.

Both Fine Gael and the Green Party are really going out of their way to make it clear that this was Micheál Martin's decision and his decision alone. Which might not be surprising if he came into possession of new information that they aren't aware of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think this is harsh. It occurred in 2016.

It's not just the drink driving. It's also the obfuscation of the truth. And the drip...drip...of the story. Cowen was only addressing each issue when he was caught on it. Showed very poor judgement and made his party leader look like a mug. Not a good look.

Ironically, his assertion that the guards recorded the incident incorrectly may yet be proven true. But it's too late, the damage is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She's licking the bones as we speak.

Diet starts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We don’t.

We need to protect whistleblowers.

All supporters of democracy should agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Do you seriously expect journalists to reveal their sources??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Anne is a very decent individual, a hard-working poliitican, and a strong media performer. I wouldn't have her down as a favourite for an important portfolio like agriculture though.

she didn't say what the paper said she said but she wasn't misquoted ... https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/04/23/stop-digging/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Is that you Gemma?

Gemma's more likely working with your lot. Everything I said - unlike the bizarre conspiracy theories of increasingly deluded Gemma - is provably true . People like you don't like it - you prefer your fantasy wonderland of laffly soft cushy lil Oireland. I suppose I can somewhat sympathise, as the truth is so dark that most don't have the balls to face it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na_Ombudsman_Commission#:~:text=The%20first%20three%20commissioners%20were,Sullivan%20and%20Kieran%20FitzGerald.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boss-Charles-J-Haughey-Government/dp/0905169697

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran_Boylan_affair#:~:text=Boylan%2C%20from%20County%20Louth%2C%20was,cocaine%20worth%20%E2%82%AC%E2%82%AC750%2C000.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-drugs-in-my-business-billionaire-26472012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think Martin has made a rod for his back now, is he going to sack everyone now if they cause a controversy? What if it is a n FG minister will they be sacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Journalists will go to prison before they reveal a source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Journalists will go to prison before they reveal a source.

i doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

More to this than meets the eye..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

One offence marginally over the limit is innocuous. Repeated offenses is not or driving way over the limit is not.

Drink driving while on a learner permit is not innocuous, or drink driving at any time tbh. He also has a record of, illegal parking, using an untaxed vehicle, multiple speeding offences, unlicensed driving, and on the civil front he doesn't pay his bills.

Not the type of person to serve us in government in my opinion.

Not a great start, and it took a while.

FF need to get their act together now.

Took MM a while, and sweating.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Bigus wrote: »
    Well before this ever blew up, I could never understand why FF were promoting this second biffo ,when they should have been distancing themselves as far as possible from the first biffo, were there no other midlands candidates with no baggage ? really bad planning/thinking by FF to be reminding us where they came from when rebuilding lost faith caused by the original and biggest drunk biffo.

Barry was loyal to mehole. Also kept the party behind supply agreement with FG. He ain't stupid Barry . However once elected he should regularised his license.
    It seems in this country you can be grossly incompetent but still become Taoiseach (martin) but drink drive and you're gone!
    Martin has no objections to the boom gets boomier etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Floppybits wrote: »
    I think Martin has made a rod for his back now, is he going to sack everyone now if they cause a controversy? What if it is a n FG minister will they be sacked?

If Barry Cowen tried to evade a Garda checkpoint.
    If Barry Cowen had more than 7 penalty points on his provisional license, and therefore shouldn't have been on the road.
    If there's further information to emerge tonight on Barry that makes Michaél look like an absolute bellend after backing him unequivocally a few hours earlier in the Dail.

Then his position was untenable, and Michael had to sack him before he sucked Michaél down with him.

tupenny wrote: »
    More to this than meets the eye..

Either tell us more or shut the F up.. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I had thought Mary Lou McDonald was a snake, but I was mistaken, she's a vulture that feasts on whatever meat is left on the bones of a dying animal.

I'm not a SF supporter or voter but I do respect Mary Lou.

She would have been failing in her duty as leader of the opposition to not put the boot in today.

That's what the job of opposition is, to call the government out and hold them to question.

Anybody who thinks Cowen has been hard done by is a fool.

A TD driving with drink on them. Gets caught. On a learners/provisional licence for years driving all over the country. Do you think a TD, who in fairness work long hours, had a qualified driver with him all the time? Of course not.

Serves a ban, tells no one. Becomes a minister and again tells nobody.

When it gets out due to good journalism, he appears contrite but still doesn't disclose everything to An Taoiseach, Dail or voters.

Journalist rightly continues their research and uncovers more and then alleges that the Gardai have false records over the incident. WTF?

Rest of the story yet to come out.

This is the type of politician and politics we don't want and I'm delighted he's gone as I hope that the bar (which Barry's probably at now) has been raised.

Anybody who feel sorry for him or supports him now is a fool in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Waste. of. time.

Think this is harsh on Cowen and the social media outrage attacking him is shameful. Micheal Martin is a self-serving rat and the quicker he's out of office the better. This has been a nothing affair and the likes of Mary-Lou saying it's anything but is face-palm stuff.

What was it I asked earlier, how do you know a FF'er? They describe you as a rat. Pathetic **** from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

We had the likes of mick Wallace who Owed over 30 million and nothing was made of it ... prior to him you couldn’t be declared bankrupt and remain td but that changed ... and how did Ireland award this man who got most of his debts written off... we got him a nice eu job ...

Barry Cowen barley broke the drink drive limit ... got his punishment ... apologized for it... and years later he loses his job for it... ridiculous ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was one relatively innocuous event 4 years ago. He should be allowed to get on with his life and his career. He didn't murder anyone.

You really set a low bar for standards in public office.

No one is stopping him getting on with his life, say if he fancied being an auctioneer or a puppy farmer, but we should hold our ministers' to a higher standard don't ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I had thought Mary Lou McDonald was a snake, but I was mistaken, she's a vulture that feasts on whatever meat is left on the bones of a dying animal.

What has anything of this got to do with her or SF? Look inward.

Floppybits wrote: »

FG people have been sacked no worries. FF have not had to deal with this up to now.

Great stuff. MM is three weeks late, but did it anyway.

Stinks of political policing, Mr Harris should root out whoever was involved in this set up.
    Yes, but as Fionnan Sheahan said on tonight's Prime Time (echoing the SF leader), as soon as Cowen went into the Dail and started making accusations against the Gardai, he was fighting a losing battle. It's one thing being shafted, it's another thing for a Minister to have an open spat with the Gardai.

I wonder if there's a chance that the Taoiseach sought an apology, and Cowen wouldn't offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Barry was loyal to mehole. Also kept the party behind supply agreement with FG. He ain't stupid Barry . However once elected he should regularised his license.
    It seems in this country you can be grossly incompetent but still become Taoiseach (martin) but drink drive and you're gone!
    Martin has no objections to the boom gets boomier etc

Indeed. Martin was part of the government that drove the economy into the rocks, destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands, some of who never recovered, and never will. The media circus, egged on by the Zanus on here is just distraction - irrelevant noise, the bah-bahing of silly sheep, perhaps hoping they will fulfil their dreams of maybe one day gravitating to the life of their dreams - a parish councillor, warming a seat until the next fat sheep. And before some Zanu lickspittle drama queen idiot says I'm defending drink driving, I'm not. I lost a close family member to a drink driver a few years back. So don't even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Has to be Thomas Byrne surely to get the gig, will bring the curtain down nicely on the panto.

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    We had the likes of mick Wallace who Owed over 30
    Nothing was made of it? It came up repeatedly, and you're still referencing it, years later.

Advertisement