Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

LillySV wrote: »

Barry Cowen barley broke the drink drive limit ... got his punishment ... apologized for it... and years later he loses his job for it... ridiculous ...

The problem is he didn't apologise at the time & didn't tell his party leader at the time. He also didn't tell his party leader when he was being appointed to ministerial office. He is now disputing the guards record.

It's the cover up that's the problem. Not the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

McMurphy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen shefwedfan this evening, I am more than interested in his in-depth analysis on this evening's developments.

In Mount St for an all-nighter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

One offence marginally over the limit is innocuous. Repeated offenses is not or driving way over the limit is not.

Drink driving is not innocuous in any way. Stop making excuses for it. A TD, a legislator for the country, should not be breaking the law.

Besides that he's not been sacked tonight just because of his conviction but his behaviour since the story broke.

Why can't people see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Waste. of. time.

Think this is harsh on Cowen and the social media outrage attacking him is shameful. Micheal Martin is a self-serving rat and the quicker he's out of office the better. This has been a nothing affair and the likes of Mary-Lou saying it's anything but is face-palm stuff.

So you condone drink driving, driving without a valid licence and then lying about it all I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone seen shefwedfan this evening, I am more than interested in his in-depth analysis on this evening's developments.

Probably driving Biffo back to Clara.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

KaneToad wrote: »
    The problem is he didn't apologise at the time & didn't tell his party leader at the time. He also didn't tell his party leader when he was being appointed to ministerial office. He is now disputing the guards record.

It's the cover up that's the problem. Not the crime.

He was also on a provisional license.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It really is time to ensure that our reps are ok. If not kick them out. Most people would support that.

Pity they don't just resign anyway, but they are so full of their own self importance many won't.

For the first time, I applaud MM for sacking this piece of sht.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Barry Cowen left Micheal Martin with little in the way of wiggle room with his unwillingness to further address in the Dail the specifics of the events culminating in his ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

We had the likes of mick Wallace who Owed over 30 million and nothing was made of it ... prior to him you couldn’t be declared bankrupt and remain td but that changed ... and how did Ireland award this man who got most of his debts written off... we got him a nice eu job ...

Barry Cowen barley broke the drink drive limit ... got his punishment ... apologized for it... and years later he loses his job for it... ridiculous ...

Wallace was nothing compared to the corrupt, debased, degenerate, evil charlatan Charles Haughey. Still venerated by much of the Zanus and Official Ireland. Most of middle class, respectable Ireland - the Zanu voters - were implicated, actively involved and implicated, either as direct perps or active accomplices - in institutional mass rape on a literally industrial scale during the entire period from 'independence' up right until the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

...'and then alleges that the Gardai have false records over the incident.'

This is what made Cowen's position absolutely untenable. The slightly over the limit stuff, the provisional licence stuff, the 'arragh, sure it was four years ago' stuff was not great... but when he second guessed the Garda report then he had to go.

• Advertisement

It really is time to ensure that our reps are ok. If not kick them out. Most people would support that.

Pity they don't just resign anyway, but they are so full of their own self importance many won't.

For the first time, I applaud MM for sacking this piece of sht.

You're joking aren't you. More than likely afraid of what GSOC or The Times are about to reveal. He was happy with Cowen last week right up to this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A friend of mine is from Clara when asked about Cowen last week, he said that Cowen was "too ignorant, arrogant and thick to resign". Guess the Cork sliveen had no choice although I suspect he may not last too long either.

walshb wrote: »
    Saw that. A lot was OTT..

The general public need to be informed, but at the same time, for an effective government for the people, the general public should never know “too” much..

She was a little unnecessarily OTT.

It's her MO.

To call her an FF shill would be too generous. She's been the same for decades. She's also a terrible current affairs presenter anyway, regardless of her "leanings".

Next up the holier than thou FG and SF. OMG!

Next up the holier than thou FG and SF. OMG!

And if the shoe was on the other foot.
    C'mon, be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Willie O'Dea resigned as a minister before the Nine O'Clock News - and Barry Cowen was sacked before that bulletin. Does this mean there's a pattern with resignations and dismissals of ministers? Why did Micheál Martin leave it so late in the day to sack Cowen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

awec wrote: »
    He was also on a provisional license.

Oh noes.

OH ok Cowen is gone, so who is the next Minister for AG?

Dara or another?

tupenny wrote: »
    More to this than meets the eye..

And yet last week were told there was nothing to see here? Imagine that.

----

I'd imagine the Mount Street Massive will be in after their coven to tell us what's what tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It seems he gave BC the opportunity to resign, but the offer was rejected.
    If a politician resigns then there is often a small bit of rehab time and a new opportunity becomes available, like Peter Mandelson.
    Once you're sacked, there is no road back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Nothing was made of it? It came up repeatedly, and you're still referencing it, years later.

And was he sacked ? How many businesses and lives did he affect by short changing numerous people of millions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

were they told by M about the evasion bit last week when he was told

Dunno when exactly they were told what, but after the Dail statement, Leo said publicly to the media that MM had assured him that there was no more to the story, and nothing more would be coming out down the line. Whether or not it’s true that they didn’t call for Cowen’s head and left the decision solely to be a FF matter today, I’d say himself and Eamon (who was surely told the same thing) were highly unimpressed at what followed being told there was nothing more to the story!

And was he sacked ? How many businesses and lives did he affect by short changing numerous people of millions ...

He wasn't a minister. This is too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Wallace was nothing compared to the corrupt, debased, degenerate, evil charlatan Charles Haughey. Still venerated by much of the Zanus and Official Ireland. Most of middle class, respectable Ireland - the Zanu voters - were implicated, actively involved and implicated, either as direct perps or active accomplices - in institutional mass rape on a literally industrial scale during the entire period from 'independence' up right until the 1990s.

Can’t argue with that in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

OH ok Cowen is gone, so who is the next Minister for AG?

Dara or another?

Has to be Dara. He has kept his head down since his disappointment. Can't see Byrne getting it if he had a hand in bringing Cowen down. Then again Martin might inflict Jack Chambers on us all as punishment.

Who cares? It is just an anonymous talking shop. Individuals are not that important. I wouldn't be too concerned personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A friend of mine is from Clara when asked about Cowen last week, he said that Cowen was "too ignorant, arrogant and thick to resign". Guess the Cork sliveen had no choice although I suspect he may not last too long either.

He's done.

Although I'd love to see him drag it out a bit longer, clinging on to his dream but actually digging a deeper hole.

Just like the one his party put this country in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sacked from what? He has never been a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Who would sack him?? And from what??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Floppybits wrote: »
    Jack Chambers

Christ I'd just forgotten about him. :eek:

Advertisement