Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dunno when exactly they were told what, but after the Dail statement, Leo said publicly to the media that MM had assured him that there was no more to the story, and nothing more would be coming out down the line. Whether or not it’s true that they didn’t call for Cowen’s head and left the decision solely to be a FF matter today, I’d say himself and Eamon (who was surely told the same thing) were highly unimpressed at what followed being told there was nothing more to the story!

That was the only way Leo and Eamon could soon this from their pov.

We don't know how they came to agree to have Cowen as Minister for Ag, but we'll assume they were begrudgingly okay with it.

There was no way they were going to let themselves be hoisted by FF cute-hoorism, so leaving the burning turd for MM was the only option really. They set it up well for any further revelations to not come back to haunt their "acceptance" of Cowen as MinAg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Christ I'd just forgotten about him. :eek:

Hi Jack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Fann Linn wrote: »
    He wasn't a minister. This is too easy.

He was a td earning a nice sum off the back of the taxpayer ... he just happened to be very lucky that changes came in 2016 to allow bankrupt people in the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not a fortnight in power and a Minister gone and no word about the rules regarding visitors from Covid hotspots either.

Not very impressed. Need a good dollop of leadership here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

McMurphy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen shefwedfan this evening, I am more than interested in his in-depth analysis on this evening's developments.

Don't worry, he is the gift that keeps on giving.

He'll lift his head out of the sand in the morning feeling refreshed and unbeatable as usual and anything he has previously said in this thread will matter not a jot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Who cares? It is just an anonymous talking shop. Individuals are not that important. I wouldn't be too concerned personally.

You obviously weren't around for the "nothing to see here, you all know nothin'" dance the last fortnight or so.

It was magnificent. So it's clearly only going to get better tomorrow. Especially the SF, ranting and obsession accusations that get thrown around like brown paper bags in the Galway tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LillySV wrote: »
    He was a td earning a nice sum off the back of the taxpayer ... he just happened to be very lucky that changes came in 2016 to allow bankrupt people in the dail

Correct. But he wasn't a minister and he didn't change the laws. I think that was FG/LP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

NIMAN wrote: »
    He'll have plenty of spare time now to learn to drive.

He got a full driving licence since the incident.

He didn't notify the party or the public at the time. He was only a TD then, and the offense was small (3 month driving ban... which implies that his alcohol level was something along the region of 2 pints?)

It was pretty much a non-story, but it's silly socks season (more so than usual due to partial lockdown). He seemed a capable enough politician, and his political assassination due to a relatively minor historical offense doesn't do much to serve the public interest in my opinion.

The last stage in the saga (whether or not the garda leaked information, or if the information was falsified) is strange. Presumably if he had deliberately avoided a check point he would have been charged with that? Either way it matters little now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And yet last week were told there was nothing to see here? Imagine that.
    There is nothing to see here apart from the fact that there's a whole host of immature adults with holier than thou attitudes and social media so that every fool has a voice.
    Honestly how can this cause a sacking when the man was punished by the courts for it and yet Simon Harris wasted billions of our money and held onto his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Are there any criminal convictions that prevent you from being a TD?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

LillySV wrote: »
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Correct. But he wasn't a minister and he didn't change the laws. I think that was FG/LP

Laws changed in 2014. They weren't changed for Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No fan of Fianna Fail - and in particular his brother - but his brother should have been given a chance, everyone makes mistakes in life - if he screwed up on the job - sack him - but the Independent got him sacked with a personal nasty campaign - and they will do the same to Sinn Fein - its become a rag of a newspaper - will do anything to sell a cheap story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

thebaz wrote: »
    No fan of Fianna Fail - and in particular his brother - but his brother should have been given a chance, everyone makes mistakes in life - if he screwed up on the job - sack him - but the Independent got him sacked with a personal nasty campaign - and they will do the same to Sinn Fein - its become a rag of a newspaper - will do anything to sell a cheap story.

I thought the U turn story was in the Times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Ah sure he only had two pints and then watched the match + had dinner......

basill wrote: »
    Are there any criminal convictions that prevent you from being a TD?

No.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is nothing to see here apart from the fact that there's a whole host of immature adults with holier than thou attitudes and social media so that every fool has a voice.
    Honestly how can this cause a sacking when the man was punished by the courts for it and yet Simon Harris wasted billions of our money and held onto his job?

Whatever you say eagle eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

There is definitely more to come out on this.

Barry could get himself on the cover of the PS5 version of GTA, with all these u turns at checkpoints etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

twitter is alive with good and bad jokes.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BarryCowen&src=trend_click

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Ah sure he only had two pints and then watched the match + had dinner......
    Did he say pints?
    I thought he said drinks?
    Maybe he had two pints of wine?

• Advertisement

I thought the U turn story was in the Times?

The Independent broke the story - they have been headlining it for past 10 days - a crusade to get him sacked - The editor will be happy tonight - job complete - not sure what the agenda is - do they want to destabilise the new Government and get Sinn Fein in (which is ther real enemy

Became a rag of a newspaper?

Eh... When?

Possibly 1997?

Irish_Independent_Payback-Oct272010.jpg?w=463

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Floppybits wrote: »
    Has to be Dara. He has kept his head down since his disappointment. Can't see Byrne getting it if he had a hand in bringing Cowen down. Then again Martin might inflict Jack Chambers on us all as punishment.

Can't see him taking it. It's the runner up prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You obviously weren't around for the "nothing to see here, you all know nothin'" dance the last fortnight or so.

It was magnificent. So it's clearly only going to get better tomorrow. Especially the SF, ranting and obsession accusations that get thrown around like brown paper bags in the Galway tent.

OK, but it is still a talking shop, however i will enjoy the fallout.

Will be soon forgotten though I think.

And on to the next big thing. Wonder what that will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

gmisk wrote: »
    Did he say pints?
    I thought he said drinks?
    Maybe he had two pints of wine?

Ah feck...I heard it earlier and sure he said pints I could be wrong.

The Independent broke the story - they have been headlining it for past 10 days - a crusade to get him sacked - The editor will be happy tonight - job complete - not sure what the agenda is - do they want to destabilise the new Government and get Sinn Fein in (which is ther real enemy

That's your read of how this has all gone down for the last 10 days?

It's impressive I guess in the sense that it's clearly nonsense.

One of the most amusing things about politics in Ireland is everyone whinges about corruption, about politicians getting above their station and about the low caliber of person that ends up sitting in the Dail.

But then people also whinge when those who flout the law, or show themselves to be of questionable judgement get caught and taken down a peg or two.

It seems holding to a high standard is what people want, but only once it doesn't affect the party or the politicians they like.

That's your read of how this has all gone down for the last 10 days?

It's impressive I guess in the sense that it's clearly nonsense.

well, whats your expert opinion of how it played out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The times said they had the story last weekend, but had received legal threats if they ran with it.

Cowen wrote to Garda Headquarters after he was asked by The Sunday Times to comment on the matter eight days ago. The minister initially declined to comment but later threatened to initiate defamation proceedings if details of this aspect were published in last Sunday’s newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tbh Cowen should have told MM about the skeleton in his closet before collecting his seal of office. The mess is all of his own making. I remember the Indo going after Maria Bailey with the same gusto. So any whinging I see about Cowens demise I will attach party bias to it .

Advertisement