Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

awec wrote: »
    One of the most amusing things about politics in Ireland is everyone whinges about corruption, about politicians getting above their station and about the low caliber of person that ends up sitting in the Dail.

But then people also whinge when those who flout the law, or show themselves to be of questionable judgement get caught and taken down a peg or two.

It seems holding to a high standard is what people want, but only once it doesn't affect the party the politicians they like.

That may be because the faithful see other parties doing the dirt on their faithful, and they don't like that at all.

It's a feckin game.

But in fairness Cowen needed to be taken down, and much as I dislike MM, he did it. Rare enough to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think though we need to know where and how his informatiom was obtained.
    I would say thats the type of discussion that is happening on the FF Whatsapp groups right now. Full of anger and a desire for retribution. It really is the Fianna Fail way, they can never admit wrongdoing and immediately go on the attack seeking revenge. They re similar to Trump in that fashion.
    McMurphy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen shefwedfan this evening, I am more than interested in his in-depth analysis on this evening's developments.
    He might have been watching Sheffield Wednesday playing out a drab 0-0 draw with Huddersfield tonight. Even that is more enticing than defending Barry Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tbh Cowen should have told MM about the skeleton in his closet before collecting his seal of office. The mess is all of his own making. I remember the Indo going after Maria Bailey with the same gusto. So any whinging I see about Cowens demise I will attach party bias to it .

The Maria Bailey / Swing gate case was far worse IMO - it happened on the job, and was pure Greed - Cowens crime was in the past, he got punished - nearly everyone has some skeleton in ther past , its what humans do - no one is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

thebaz wrote: »
    The Independent broke the story - they have been headlining it for past 10 days - a crusade to get him sacked - The editor will be happy tonight - job complete - not sure what the agenda is - do they want to destabilise the new Government and get Sinn Fein in (which is ther real enemy

If there's a story you go after the story esp one that clearly hasn't been resolved. If I were the editor of a paper I'd be like a dog digging for a bone until I'd got the full facts of the matter. The government or at least the FF part is happily destabilising itself due to it's entirely predictable low standards of personal conduct and honesty.

I trust if FG have another Maria Bailey they go after that story as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

OK, but it is still a talking shop, however i will enjoy the fallout.

Will be soon forgotten though I think.

And on to the next big thing. Wonder what that will be?

We'll get another week out of it anyway.

Probably some vox pops from Clara about "han 'onest gentlemihn".

OH look, Cowen has been sacked by a lily livered Taoiseach. What a shock.

We have moved on. The Tullamore Mafia is over now, with due respect to the health and well being of the Big Brother Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Maria Bailey / Swing gate case was far worse IMO - it happened on the job, and was pure Greed - Cowens crime was in the past, he got punished - nearly everyone has some skeleton in ther past , its what humans do - no one is perfect.
    I actually think Bailey might have escaped with her job (Alan Farrell managed it) if not for the disasterous Sean O Rourke interview.

His crime might have been in the past but he was a TD at the time? And there is clearly a bit more to him and his driving history than he has been letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Cowen was on the job when the offence happened.

You literally have no point here.

well, whats your expert opinion of how it played out ?

I guess the easiest way to phrase it would be that, whatever you're thinking is probably wrong.

My opinion is all over this thread. Click my username, go nahts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

Political correctness gone mad. He broke the law and served his punishment. Was a relatively minor incident four years ago going to affect his job as minister for agriculture? The Irish Independent is a gutter newspaper and anyone who buys really needs to have a good look in the mirror at themselves. Hopefully no Green TD gets Dept of Agriculture it would single-handedly ruin what's left of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

not sure what the agenda is

Obviously to sell papers. They do that by providing the public with a service, in this case by holding a public representative to account for his actions that his colleagues seemed to be willing to overlook.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Arealred wrote: »
    Political correctness gone mad. He broke the law and served his punishment. Was a relatively minor incident four years ago going to affect his job as minister for agriculture? The Irish Independent is a gutter newspaper and anyone who buys really needs to have a good look in the mirror at themselves. Hopefully no Green TD gets Dept of Agriculture it would single-handedly ruin what's left of this country.

Why would a Green TD get a FF portfolio?

If there's a story you go after the story esp one that clearly hasn't been resolved. If I were the editor of a paper I'd be like a dog digging for a bone until I'd got the full facts of the matter. The government or at least the FF part is happily destabilising itself due to it's entirely predictable low standards of personal conduct and honesty.

I trust if FG have another Maria Bailey they go after that story as well.

Who was it that said the Meeja is finished? LOL.

OH look, Cowen has been sacked by a lily livered Taoiseach. What a shock.

We have moved on. The Tullamore Mafia is over now, with due respect to the health and well being of the Big Brother Brian.

Why have we moved on? Why do you want us to move on?

For the last 10 days we were told to "move on" and look what happened.

I reckon we should stay right here tbh.

You need to make sure you decapitate the zombie ya see. We didn't do that at GE2011 and look what happened.

It's weird to watch FF supporters coming in here with very similar posts, but it's hard to know why they're supporting the sacked minister rather than the Taoiseach.
    Hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cowen was on the job when the offence happened.

You literally have no point here.

Well I think what Bailey did was way worse - the reality is people drove with drink a few years ago - not condoning it, but thats the way it was - Times have changed.

it was the cluster-fcuk handling of the situation that did him in.

whatever was in the nyarda report may have done him in anyways.

until we are told otherwise if very much sounds like he pulled a U-ey and if that got out he was gone.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is nothing to see here apart from the fact that there's a whole host of immature adults with holier than thou attitudes and social media so that every fool has a voice.

I think you are referring to voters here. Very FF attitude to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cowen was unemployed when he was drink driving?

• Advertisement

Well I think what Bailey did was way worse - the reality is people drove with drink a few years ago - not condoning it, but thats the way it was - Times have changed.

why mention it then?

they used to lock up gay lads just for being gay in Ireland years ago also - does that make that ok 'cos it was years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

do you not know Cowen was a TD at the time, and recently appointed a minister he is public person.

You're literally condoning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jaysus, it was only 4 years ago or so, not several generations back.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Was he running it on Green diesel?

Why have we moved on? Why do you want us to move on?

For the last 10 days we were told to "move on" and look what happened.

I reckon we should stay right here tbh.

You need to make sure you decapitate the zombie ya see. We didn't do that at GE2011 and look what happened.

You need to own the Zombie here, so what or whom are you referring to? Dislike vague references. Anyway I never said WRT to Cowen that we should move on.

Ah now come on, Bailey is a feckin chancer but it was just about money.

Drink driving kills people, Cowan was drink driving and therfore risking lives, not just a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jaysus, it was only 4 years ago or so, not several generations back.[/quote

As it's FF you're supposed to forgive and forget because it's 4 years ago.
    For some other parties however some of the same posters are prepared to go back almost 60/70 years when digging up references.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Soon you won't have anyone enter politics only those who have nothing in their copybook to hold against them, or people who are so wealthy they couldn't give a shít either way.

This social media driven 'holier than thou' attitude is cheap political fast food for the outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So what was on the pulse report that MM saw?
    It obviously confirmed the u-turn? So he decided to do the same?

Advertisement