Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

You'd know the FF posters on here. Cowen was caught drink driving, he did a i turn before a Garda checkpoint, he holds high office, he should resign immediately. Drink got his incompetent brother also, he should have learned his lesson. I dont like him anyway. His sidekick in Offaly, Councellor Eamon Dooley tried to dismiss it saying we all have a few pints before a match and drive home 3/4 hours later. What a shower of cute hoor ignorent biffo's. Ireland needs to rid itself of these gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jaysus, it was only 4 years ago or so, not several generations back.
    It was a lifetime ago....the MCU had only got as far as Captain America civil war... ah they were simpler times before Thanos and coronavirus.

Yeah it was no time ago. He was driving on a provisional for how long? Was he accompanied on all his journeys over the years? He had points for speeding....and he was caught drink driving, he also might have done a u-turn to try to avoid a checkpoint by the sounds of it.
    He was fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Soon you won't have anyone enter politics only those who have nothing in their copybook to hold against them, or people who are so wealthy they couldn't give a shít either way.

This social media driven 'holier than thou' attitude is cheap political fast food for the outraged.

NO,

One does not have to be inside the received inner circle, or be wealthy to be in power, although I can see why you might think that.

Integrity, honestly and all that does not require wealth or connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

thebaz wrote: »
    Well I think what Bailey did was way worse - the reality is people drove with drink a few years ago - not condoning it, but thats the way it was - Times have changed.

Couldn't disagree more. Bailey fell off a swing in a bar and thought she had a case for compensation. Court would have decided if she was entitled to it or not. Nothing criminal in what she did.

Soon you won't have anyone enter politics only those who have nothing in their copybook to hold against them, or people who are so wealthy they couldn't give a shít either way.

This social media driven 'holier than thou' attitude is cheap political fast food for the outraged.
    To enter politics you should have nothing in your copybook imo, I don't think that it too much to ask, wealth is irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

NO,

One does not have to be inside the received inner circle, or be wealthy to be in power, although I can see why you might think that.

Integrity, honestly and all that does not require wealth or connections.

Riddle me this. The Irish are the most daycent, honest, hard-working people on the planet. Yet they seem to elect (if you were to believe sites like here, twitter, journal etc) the most corrupt, lazy, shambolic, and self-serving politicians on this planet.

There's a dichotomy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Was out all night. Barry Cowen sacked, brilliant. Michael Martin has gone up in my opinion. The Cowens have record in Dail Eireann now, pair of cute ignorent pricks. He can drink all he likes now and talk as much ****e around Clara as well. Arrogance is an awful trait, he was found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You need to own the Zombie here, so what or whom are you referring to? Dislike vague references. Anyway I never said WRT to Cowen that we should move on.

What? I was referring to Fianna Fáil.

I would have thought that would be clear to most. It wasn't the most impenetrable of riddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

So what standard do you think that ministers should be able to meet before being appointed to government.

No criminal record and being of good repute would be the minium for me.

Cowen's record would bar him from getting a gig at my job, he wouldn't pass the vetting, he could work in the company just not in my position.

Should be the same for TD's, anyone can get elected that doesn't give them a right to serve in government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

gmisk wrote: »
    To enter politics you should have nothing in your copybook imo, I don't think that it too much to ask, wealth is irrelevant

That’s me ****ed with all my womanising and affairs .lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Was out all night. Barry Cowen sacked, brilliant. Michael Martin has gone up in my opinion. The Cowens have record in Dail Eireann now, pair of cute ignorent pricks. He can drink all he likes now and talk as much ****e around Clara as well. Arrogance is an awful trait, he was found out.

Yeah, hate to say it but fair play to Michael 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

KaneToad wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. Bailey fell off a swing in a bar and thought she had a case for compensation. Court would have decided if she was entitled to it or not. Nothing criminal in what she did.

Fell off a swing while drinking and tried to make money from it - lovely attitude for a public representive - I hammered Fianna Fail here for the mess they left the country in last time - Just think people should get a second chances - I had to , as do most people in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I think what Bailey did was way worse - the reality is people drove with drink a few years ago - not condoning it, but thats the way it was - Times have changed.

What has Bailey got to do with this?
    She's gone. She also wasn't a minister.

Two cases of politicians rightly paying the price for doing something wrong.

Also back in 2016, it was not acceptable to drink and drive.

Stop making excuses. It has not been acceptable since the eighties.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Jaysus, it was only 4 years ago or so, not several generations back.

As it's FF you're supposed to forgive and forget because it's 4 years ago.
    For some other parties however some of the same posters are prepared to go back almost 60/70 years when digging up references.

Don't forget John Bruton and VAT on children's shoes in 1982. That's a hoary old classic.

Liamo57 wrote: »

Bolix talk , Martin hadn’t the balls to call it 2 weeks ago or stand by his man .
    He threw him under the bus to save himself

That's really not at all what's going on here. There's no danger of us running out of potential politicians.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Bailey chanced her (not at all damaged) arm via one of her TD mates solicitors firms. She was badly caught out, then had a total car crash of an interview
    I don't think her history of claims helped her with the public either (she took a personal injury claim against aerlingus in the past)....and her dad who was a TD wasn't exactly squeaky clean either....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bout time. Parish pump politics just got shown the fingers and rightly so.

The whole thing was a total distraction to the serious issues which a brand new government - of a construction that is totally alien to us - needs to concentrate on.
    The circus needed disbanding and MM has delivered that, at least.

I do feel a little sorry for him as it looks like someone with a grudge leaked it but the actions we know about are enough to summarise the man as a bit of a chancer and if he'd disclosed it rather than trying to hide from it, would have been a non issue.

That’s me ****ed with all my womanising and affairs .lol
    As long as your only paying in cash id say you will be grand no paper trail...

Yeah, hate to say it but fair play to Michael 

Eh? You know it took him 10 days of obfuscation and ignorance to get here? Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fell off a swing while drinking and tried to make money from it - lovely attitude for a public representive - I hammered Fianna Fail here for the mess they left the country in last time - Just think people should get a second chances - I had to , as do most people in life.

Ah things were different back then. Falling off a swing was only way to make money back in those days, the rest of us were bitter and envious dreaming what could have been had we fallen while we sent our kids to walk 10 miles to school in their bare feet

Things were simpler then [wipes nostalgic tear from eye.]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What? I was referring to Fianna Fáil.

I would have thought that would be clear to most. It wasn't the most impenetrable of riddles.

Fair enough :) But just say it out, no need for riddles either. I don't get that.

Bailey chanced her (not at all damaged) arm via one of her TD mates solicitors firms. She was badly caught out, then had a total car crash of an interview
    I don't think her history of claims helped her with the public either (she took a personal injury claim against aerlingus in the past)....and her dad who was a TD wasn't exactly squeaky clean either....

But they still decided to give a post to Madigan this time even though she was comprised the time of the Bailey case . Another one that should have disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

murpho999 wrote: »
    What has Bailey got to do with this?
    She's gone. She also wasn't a minister.

Two cases of politicians rightly paying the price for doing something wrong.

Also back in 2016, it was not acceptable to drink and drive.

Stop making excuses. It has not been acceptable since the eighties.

People were drink driving past the 80s - just think people shold get a second chance - anyone who drinks makes stupid mistakes that what drink makes you do - and as I have already said I am no fan of Fianna Fail .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So what was on the pulse report that MM saw?
    It obviously confirmed the u-turn? So he decided to do the same?

107840874_2982118515232565_8810007047069221347_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=auYUf2f1digAX9-0Ayw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=51449d13117d65789a7ec6c3e89916a2&oe=5F35C13B

But they still decided to give a post to Madigan this time even though she was comprised the time of the Bailey case . Another one that should have disappeared
    Yep totally agree.
    Alan Farrell is also still kicking about despite his insanely dodgy insurance claims as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The cute whore "I'll do what I want and get away with it" mumbling, gombeen politician that got people planning permission has no place as a minister in the modern Irish political system.

That day's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

People were drink driving past the 80s - just think people shold get a second chance - anyone who drinks makes stupid mistakes that what drink makes you do - and as I have already said I am no fan of Fianna Fail .

Nobody in their mid 40s drink drives by mistake. His only mistake, and regret, was getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That's really not at all what's going on here. There's no danger of us running out of potential politicians.

In general though. Politicians work massive hours, move between constituency work and Dáil work, clinics, meetings etc. For that they get paid what a decent IT consultant, accountant, or non-partner solicitor would make. And for that they have their past life trawled over, are subject to abuse all day on cesspits like Twitter, and never get to put a single word out of place as it will be used against them.

Social media has had such a negative influence on political life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They were doing it but it doesn't make it right. What's your point?

People killed by drink drivers don't get a second chance.

Anyhow , why can't you see that he was not sacked because of his drink driving conviction but his multiple behaviour faults since it happened and particularly since the story broke a few weeks back.

Advertisement