Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gmisk wrote: »
    Bailey chanced her (not at all damaged) arm via one of her TD mates solicitors firms. She was badly caught out, then had a total car crash of an interviewas
    I don't think her history of claims helped her with the public either (she took a personal injury claim against aerlingus in the past)....and her dad who was a TD wasn't exactly squeaky clean either....

Daddy Bailey, lord rest him, was not a TD, he was a DLR councillor.

He failed to get elected to the Dáil and Seanad in both 2002 and 2007.

He was something else locally alright though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

So did MM dismiss him all of a sudden after previously backing because of the damage he was causing or is there something more sinister to come out.

Looking forward to clarity with the Sunday papers over an Ulster fry next Sunday.

Fair enough :) But just say it out, no need for riddles either. I don't get that.

Eh, the idiom is far better than say "We should hope that Fianna Fáil do not survive this particular incident". Zzzzzzz.

In general though. Politicians work massive hours, move between constituency work and Dáil work, clinics, meetings etc. For that they get paid what a decent IT consultant, accountant, or non-partner solicitor would make. And for that they have their past life trawled over, are subject to abuse all day on cesspits like Twitter, and never get to put a single word out of place as it will be used against them.

Social media has had such a negative influence on political life.

i agree with some of the thrust of this

of course, a td shouldnt be doing any of the above, which is a large part of the problem

a td should be involved in legislating, and we should hear precisely **** all about them except their voting record or legislative intentions

alas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

To be straight about these politicians , there a thick bunch end off .
    Wether it’s Mary Lou in a funeral knowing it was genuinely wrong .
    Leo ponsing Around with his shirt off .
    Lowry taking money for phone licence .
    Bertie minister of finance never having a bank acc.
    Dooley and push buttons .

U could just go on and on , but they think there immune to photos and social media or indeed any media .

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    People were drink driving past the 80s - just think people shold get a second chance - anyone who drinks makes stupid mistakes that what drink makes you do - and as I have already said I am no fan of Fianna Fail .

Just a lickspittle for them and drink drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In general though. Politicians work massive hours, move between constituency work and Dáil work, clinics, meetings etc. For that they get paid what a decent IT consultant, accountant, or non-partner solicitor would make. And for that they have their past life trawled over, are subject to abuse all day on cesspits like Twitter, and never get to put a single word out of place as it will be used against them.

So you think TDs should be paid more?
    Their pay especially when you include T&S is ridiculously high. The majority are not exactly coming from massive jobs in the private sector either....how many were teachers? Sure some have barely had a job in their life (Simon Harris).
    Others like Josepha Madigan still have their old business....so I really don't agree.

As for the Twitter thing stay off it if you can't stand the heat or let someone in your staff manage it for you. I won't say there isn't a baying mob of idiots on social media there are but it is possible for a TD to insulate themselves from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

thebaz wrote: »
    People were drink driving past the 80s - just think people shold get a second chance - anyone who drinks makes stupid mistakes that what drink makes you do - and as I have already said I am no fan of Fianna Fail .

Go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

murpho999 wrote: »
    They were doing it but it doesn't make it right. What's your point?

People killed by drink drivers don't get a second chance.

Anyhow , why can't you see that he was not sacked because of his drink driving conviction but his multiple behaviour faults since it happened and particularly since the story broke a few weeks back.

I havnt had a drink for 14 years - and thats been really hard for someone who loved a drink - Thankfully most people , forgave me for things I did wrong - perhaps thats why I like to see a little compassion - anyway I'm done - and ok I agree with your last point.

Then perhaps politics isn't for them?

Drink driving is hardly the equivalent of saying something out of turn due to youthful exuberance.

Social media has nothing to do with his fall to earth.

Why are FFers so quick to defend drink driving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They work as much as they like. They are not all working such hours.
    Social Media is merely a means of communication.
    Social Media didn't do Cowen in, Cowen did.

Daddy Bailey, lord rest him, was not a TD, he was a DLR councillor.

He failed to get elected to the Dáil and Seanad in both 2002 and 2007.

He was something else locally alright though...
    Your right apologies.
    His Wikipedia is a great read....where do you start with his dodgy dealings like?! "Donations" from developers, Fake endorsements, dodgy planning applications...on and on it goes

U could just go on and on , but they think there immune to photos and social media or indeed any media .

What exactly did Leo do wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Your right apologies.
    His Wikipedia is a great read....where do you start with his dodgy dealings like?!

Start a thread on him.

This is a thread about Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lol, how on earth did you equate Varadkar doing nothing wrong in a a park with blatant corruption?
    If that's the worse you can come up with, he's doing great.

Your right apologies.
    His Wikipedia is a great read....where do you start with his dodgy dealings like?! "Donations" from developers, Fake endorsements, dodgy planning applications...on and on it goes

Head to the Borough and ask around about him.

Actually, Senator Boyhan and RBB as former councillors might know a few things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Probably been asked already but does Mr.Cowen still retain his ministerial pension from his brief tenure?

Probably been asked already but does Mr.Cowen still retain his ministerial pension from his brief tenure?

No.

He had to last til Dec '22.

It's not accidental that that's changeover time.

Nope he wasnt in place long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

So you think TDs should be paid more?
    Their pay especially when you include T&S is ridiculously high. The majority are not exactly coming from massive jobs in the private sector either....how many were teachers? Sure some have barely had a job in their life (Simon Harris).
    Others like Josepha Madigan still have their old business....so I really don't agree.

As for the Twitter thing stay off it if you can't stand the heat or let someone in your staff manage it for you. I won't say there isn't a baying mob of idiots on social media there are but it is possible for a TD to insulate themselves from it.

Yes, I do think politicians should be paid more. I think that's especially important in a small country like Ireland.

At the moment we have people like Alan Kelly who are lambasted here and on Twitter from one end of the year to the other. I won't give you his back story, but himself and his brother are a prime example of what social democracy did for Ireland. And he has given up his personal solicitor business to be a TD. He'd make far more running his practice down in Tipperary.

Yet there he is in the Dáil. Not for the money. Not for the love on social media. Doing it because he believes in Labour, and believes in social democracy.

Talk is cheap, lads. Go into politics yourselves.

:cool:

• Advertisement

He’s leader of our country , go and act like a leader Take off his shirt or whatever he wants to take off in the privacy of his own home or back garden.

Well at least thats something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Opening up that can of worms again here and the FG lads here will be all over it but it was very clear he broke “guidance” in terms of distancing measures. He broke no rules but what an arrogant self absorbed idiot to do that much during the situation we were all in, so yes, it is relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Yes, I do think politicians should be paid more. I think that's especially important in a small country like Ireland.

At the moment we have people like Alan Kelly who are lambasted here and on Twitter from one end of the year to the other. I won't give you his back story, but himself and his brother are the prime example of what social democracy did for Ireland. And he has given up his personal solicitor business to be a TD. He'd make far more running his practice down in Tipperary.

Yet there he is in the Dáil. Not for the money. Not for the love on social media. Doing it because he believes in Labour, and believes in social democracy.

Talk is cheap, lads. Go into politics yourselves.

:cool:

The same Alan Kelly who voted that Cowen shouldn't have to answer questions in Dáil?

Wouldn't believe a word comes outta his mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Delighted, the rat got caught in a trap of his own making.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Lol, how on earth did you equate Varadkar doing nothing wrong in a a park with blatant corruption?
    If that's worse you can come up with, he's doing great.
    That is bizarre he did nothing wrong there at all.
    I wouldn't be a fan of Varadkar but if that is the best someone can throw at him as a criticism they are seriously reaching. He has always come across as incredibly boring and straight laced tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He’s leader of our country , go and act like a leader Take off his shirt or whatever he wants to take off in the privacy of his own home or back garden.

Were you offended by his nipples? People get offended so easily these days. They'd be the same people admiring the Russian president riding around on his horse with his manly nipples on show.

If it’s found to be dismissed wrongfully from free legal aid brief’s in some high court , freedom of speech bull**** non racist act ya he might be entitled to his pension .

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Were you offended by his nipples? People get offended so easily these days. They'd be the same people admiring the Russian president riding around on his horse with his manly nipples on show.

Do u fancy seeing Donald trump nipples playing golf in doonbeg !

• Advertisement

This is the exact type of nod-and-wink sh*t he would have got away with not that long ago..

Advertisement