Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

FF were always dodgy.

I'm not into Ireland being the most corrupt country in the World rubbish because it's not. However I think all out political parties are a dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's weird to watch FF supporters coming in here with very similar posts, but it's hard to know why they're supporting the sacked minister rather than the Taoiseach. Hmmmm...
    What's your agenda here? You have a bunch of posts, you've hardly made a point and are quoting people with pathetic attempts to put them down for having a viewpoint.

I think you are referring to voters here. Very FF attitude to them.
    Well you clearly haven't been following the thread.
    I have no time for any of the political parties in this country. I'm hoping we see a new party before the next election that I can hope and believe will change things for the better. I doubt it'll happen but until then I'll vote for independents in the hope it'll benefit my own area as it's pointless voting for any of the parties we currently have.
    I despise Michael Martin and I already put him on the same level as Varadkar as a leader which isn't a good thing. I said he should never have gotten the job too.
    And I also blamed Varadkar for rescuing FF with his dreadful performance as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    What's your agenda here? You have a bunch of posts, you've hardly made a point and are quoting people with pathetic attempts to put them down for having a viewpoint.

Was my point too opaque for you?

Must one have an agenda if eagle eye doesn't understand it? Or is eagle eye perturbed by something else?

---

Anyway, to put your wee mind at ease, I was making the point that an awful lot of posters just appeared onto the thread, seemingly of on FF bent; yet they were defending Barry Cowen moreso than defending the decision to sack him by their leader. I thought it was noteworthy.

Obviously you didn't notice this particular phenomenon as you were too busy trying to tell us about how it was a witch hunt on poor Barry or something about Varadkar.

Who knows really what your "agenda" is I guess. I mean, you hardly made a point.

Well you clearly haven't been following the thread.
    I have no time for any of the political parties in this country. I'm hoping we see a new party before the next election that I can hope and believe will change things for the better. I doubt it'll happen but until then I'll vote for independents in the hope it'll benefit my own area as it's pointless voting for any of the parties we currently have.
    I despise Michael Martin and I already put him on the same level as Varadkar as a leader which isn't a good thing. I said he should never have gotten the job too.
    And I also blamed Varadkar for rescuing FF with his dreadful performance as Taoiseach.

I don't think you've been following it as closely was you think you had been. You think it was OTT that he had to go and that we should let sleeping dogs lie DESPITE the last ten days of lies, more lies and obfuscation throughout and from the Fianna Fáil party!

As regards your new bone which you keep on chewing upon, ie. a new party, seriously?

In a centrist society full of centrist parties, you think that:
    a. There's room for another one
    or
    b. We need one on the margins of the left or right?

Could you not just get behind the Social Democrats and be done with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yes, I do think politicians should be paid more. I think that's especially important in a small country like Ireland.

At the moment we have people like Alan Kelly who are lambasted here and on Twitter from one end of the year to the other. I won't give you his back story, but himself and his brother are a prime example of what social democracy did for Ireland. And he has given up his personal solicitor business to be a TD. He'd make far more running his practice down in Tipperary.

Yet there he is in the Dáil. Not for the money. Not for the love on social media. Doing it because he believes in Labour, and believes in social democracy.

Talk is cheap, lads. Go into politics yourselves.

:cool:

Alan Kelly is not a qualified solicitor and never practiced as one.

Not sure where you pulled that one out of...

Who knows really what your "agenda" is I guess. I mean, you hardly made a point.
    My point is quite clear, Cowen has been railroaded for something he was already punished for and it doesn't seem fair to me that this happens but a guy who wastes billions of our money on the job kept his job.
    How people get so riled up over something so minor and yet a major disaster doesn't register at the same level is quite frankly shocking to me.
    I'd like to see consistency from the media and social mediots.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Bowie wrote: »
    He's in it for the power. "I love power".

image.jpg

We don't need to draw people in with promises of more money. It should be a calling. It's an honour IMO.
    We don't tell people to become a mechanic if they have issue with their mechanic etc.
    Kelly is a sign of what's wrong with the Labour party.

Does that sign say "Ketamine"? Asking for a friend....

My point is quite clear, Cowen has been railroaded for something he was already punished for and it doesn't seem fair to me that this happens but a guy who wastes billions of our money on the job kept his job.
    How people get so riled up over something so minor and yet a major disaster doesn't register at the same level is quite frankly shocking to me.
    I'd like to see consistency from the media and social mediots.

I see. And you've nothing to say about the 107 words that preceded your selective quote of my post?

Grand.

At least you're consistent with the quality of your engagement.

We get it. You're okay with a drink driver being a minister. And you're not a Fianna Fáil supporter. And you have no dead horse to flog regarding Simon Harris, or this week's bête noir, Leo Varadkar.

Tig98 wrote: »
    Does that sign say "Ketamine"? Asking for a friend....

Neigh, it does not.

Then again, it is Tipp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes, I do think politicians should be paid more. I think that's especially important in a small country like Ireland.

At the moment we have people like Alan Kelly who are lambasted here and on Twitter from one end of the year to the other. I won't give you his back story, but himself and his brother are a prime example of what social democracy did for Ireland. And he has given up his personal solicitor business to be a TD. He'd make far more running his practice down in Tipperary.

Yet there he is in the Dáil. Not for the money. Not for the love on social media. Doing it because he believes in Labour, and believes in social democracy.

Talk is cheap, lads. Go into politics yourselves.

:cool:

Alan Kelly, who voted with FF/G and the greens (and a couple of independents) that Cowen couldn't be asked any questions in the Dail. July 7th.

Alan Kelly July 14th
    https://twitter.com/HangBlaa/status/1283175131360239617?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

gmisk wrote: »
    To enter politics you should have nothing in your copybook imo, I don't think that it too much to ask, wealth is irrelevant

It's not that you have nothing in your copybook, it's trying to hide what's in the cookbook that is the issue, this is the issue for Cowen. He should have told his party leader when this happened and then let them deal with it. If he had of done that and Martin/FF tried to hide it or took no action then when the story broke Cowen would be ok and the pressure on Martin. Also if Cowan had come at the time and put this in the public domain it would be water under the bridge by now and he would still be minister.

Anyone entering or in politics know that they need to get out ahead of stories like this so that they don't come back to bite them. At least then if it is out people know and can decide to vote or not vote for you knowing what you did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Cowen tried to do what his useless brother did for years during his time as a politician...bully his way through this.....he got caught bad, there's obviously some other facts about this that is after coming to light and he thought he could beat it. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

It is not homophobic, it has to do with carrying on the roll he’s paid for properly . That’s for privacy of his own home away from cameras and public eye.

Change the same scene to Michael d our president (spare the thought but however)
    Is it still appropriate if it was michael d in the park half naked ?

It wasn’t a photo op. Some arsehole, as usual, took a clandestine photo and put it on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

https://www.thejournal.ie/barry-cowen-sacked-5150372-Jul2020/

Shock among TDs over sacking of Barry Cowen

My immediate thought looking at this headline was that shock amongst other TDs was that only perhaps they too have some skeletons to hide, rather than any sympathy for their fallen comrade.

Maria Bailey and this guy? Yes, and moving outside party politics, both needed to go. I thought he would ride this out once the weekend came and went. It does sound like what MM read in that report, done it for him. More fool his local constituency if they continue to vote him in as a TD. I wouldn't want him representing me if I was living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jim Root wrote: »
    It wasn’t a photo op. Some arsehole, as usual, took a clandestine photo and put it on social media

Ah come on!
    Leo knew full well he’d be recognised and photographed while half naked in the Phoenix park.
    Any politician would have been who had build up their profile as much as Leo has. Nothing to do with him being gay.
    If it had been a female politician there would have been a whole different level of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Cal4567 wrote: »

My immediate thought looking at this headline was that shock amongst other TDs was that only perhaps they too have some skeletons to hide, rather than any sympathy for their fallen comrade.

Maria Bailey and this guy? Yes, and moving outside party politics, both needed to go. I thought he would ride this out once the weekend came and went. It does sound like what MM read in that report, done it for him. More fool his local constituency if they continue to vote him in as a TD. I wouldn't want him representing me if I was living there.

Hey, you only have to read the comments from (what I assume are) his locals/supporter's under his Twitter released statements last night.

Everyone is wrong, including M.M, - L.V - E.R - MLMD and the Gards because of the report.

Seems a lot of FFers are out for Michaeál Martin's scalp now, bit of a chasm seems to be emerging between some FFers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He will probably top the poll at the next election, (which he has probably accelerated). There's a large element in Ireland who love to vote for the local boy who got shafted by the sleveens in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/holy-trinity-of-taoisigh-to-have-up-to-17-advisers-dáil-hears-1.4304585?mode=amp

Look at the above ... they are pissing away taxpayers money already ... writing in extra allowances... giving themselves loads of advisors... attachments, security ... u name it ... no expense spared ....taxpayer will have to foot this generosity for years to come ....... but everyone will take it on the chin.... well if Michael Martin says so....at least he didn’t have two pints and drive .... ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Wouldn’t it be interesting if it was an inebriated Brian in the passenger seat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

LillySV wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/holy-trinity-of-taoisigh-to-have-up-to-17-advisers-dáil-hears-1.4304585?mode=amp

Look at the above ... they are pissing away taxpayers money already ... writing in extra allowances... giving themselves loads of advisors... attachments, security ... u name it ... no expense spared ....taxpayer will have to foot this generosity for years to come ....... but everyone will take it on the chin.... well if Michael Martin says so....at least he didn’t have two pints and drive .... ffs

That's why I say that they are but figureheads, the Civil servants are arranging all of this mess, and that rot is right through the Public service. TDs will come and go but the waste will continue. The rot goes into every county, every school, every hospital, every public project. and God help any minister that tries to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Classic FF, nothings changed despite their claims, its still all about the individual first, then the party and in a distant last place..... the country

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Fair play to sacking the muppet.
    He broke the law.

I hate fianna fail with a passion, but well done to Martin and his colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Delighted he's gone. I absolutely despise drink drivers and I hope this ruins his life.

Delighted he's gone. I absolutely despise drink drivers and I hope this ruins his life.

No no. He broke the law. He is no longer a minister, which is correct.
    But he has to be able to get on with his life.
    What's the point in twisting the knife???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Would hope that everybody contributing here adopts the same levels of law compliance as seems to be expected from most contributors here.

Some of the posts are disgusting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Think the decision was a bit harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Considering he was a Minister for all of two weeks. Please tell me he doesn't qualify for a pension

Would hope that everybody contributing here adopts the same levels of law compliance as seems to be expected from most contributors here.

Yes, I do comply with the law.
    And I'm not a government minister.

Ffs, It took 10 years for the bluffers to come back!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Cal4567 wrote: »

Will double his vote undoubtedly.

‘Socking it to the man ‘ is what it’s known as.

Very popular down the country.

Advertisement