Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Barry Cowen sacked

Comments

It is not homophobic, it has to do with carrying on the roll he’s paid for properly . That’s for privacy of his own home away from cameras and public eye.

Change the same scene to Michael d our president (spare the thought but however)
    Is it still appropriate if it was michael d in the park half naked ?

Michael D Higgins does indeed go topless on his holidays, seems entirely appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Would hope that everybody contributing here adopts the same levels of law compliance as seems to be expected from most contributors here.

Some of the posts are disgusting to be honest.

Yeah, low-key defending driving while gee-eyed on a learner licence for political reasons is pretty disgusting if you ask me.

When there's political points to be scored, you can rely on the usual suspects to soft peddle any level of wrongdoing.

The cosmic ballet of the institutional parties continues.

Would hope that everybody contributing here adopts the same levels of law compliance as seems to be expected from most contributors here.

He did something dodgy at a nyarda check-pint and refuses to talk about it.

That's why he is gone, not because of his drink-driving ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty essential for Cowen to be sacked if FF wanted at any stage to be able to claim that they have changed from a decade ago. Now he's been burned once, Martin might be a bit more discerning about his picks.

There is no way Barry Cowan was sacked over a road traffic offence.
    There must be something else that came out yesterday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah I can say with 100% certainty that I have not ever attempted to perform a U-turn, from a Garda checkpoint, with drink on me, and whilst holding a provisional license.

I don't think I'm in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ShyMets wrote: »
    Considering he was a Minister for all of two weeks. Please tell me he doesn't qualify for a pension

No ministerial pension, but will be entitled to a TDs pension based on Dail service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Paper doesn't refuse ink
    I do however think it was the right decision, 2 weeks too late
    Calibre in high office etc
    People who broke the law should not be there

bubblypop wrote: »

Speculation: but I'd say the 'don't you know who I am?' line probably came out of his gob and was recorded by the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think further support of Cowen would have brought Martin down aswell. Personally I think Martin's days are numbered either ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im still baffled what a 48 year old man, at the time, was doing on a provisional license....? Especially considering where hes from its not exactly a hub of public transport

Has he got his full yet? How many times has he taken the test if ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yeah, low-key defending driving while gee-eyed on a learner licence for political reasons is pretty disgusting if you ask me.

When there's political points to be scored, you can rely on the usual suspects to soft peddle any level of wrongdoing.

The cosmic ballet of the institutional parties continues.

Any evidence for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Maybe, but insisting on your story when the records state differently is hard to continue to justify.
    If he had made a statement and answered the questions asked it would have been the very least expected of him.
    His position was untenable because of his own beligerance.

Maybe, but insisting on your story when the records state differently is hard to continue to justify.
    If he had made a statement and answered the questions asked it would have been the very least expected of him.
    His position was untenable because of his own beligerance.

I guess it depends on what is written in the pulse record.
    Of course, what is written in a pulse incident is not evidence.

Allinall wrote: »
    Any evidence for that?

Emmm, he was put off the road for drink driving??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There was by what meehole said. Information which "raises further issues" I think he said. Now whether we ever find out is another thing. Opposition are pushing to find out what happened between supporting him in the afternoon and sacking him by evening. Interesting times!

Emmm, he was put off the road for drink driving??

Correct.

He wasn't put off the road for driving while gee-eyed, or even driving while drunk, as has also been claimed on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

glasso wrote: »
    He did something dodgy at a nyarda check-pint and refuses to talk about it.

That's why he is gone, not because of his drink-driving ban.

When they put the checkpoints up, they either have cars down side roads away from the checkpoint or bikes near the checkpoint. When a person does a U-turn in sight, they go after them and pull them over. I would take a guess thats exactly whats in the report, the chase vehicle had to pull him. Which would make his refusal of the Pulse reports validity seem pretty stupid.
    VinLieger wrote: »

I'm curious if the turning point was if somebody asked him if he had his full license. And if his car was parked in the car park at that moment in time. If after all that, that was the case, I'd sack him on the spot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Im still baffled what a 48 year old man, at the time, was doing on a provisional license....? Especially considering where hes from its not exactly a hub of public transport

Very common in some quarters to just keep renewing your provisional/learner permit rather than bother doing a test. 15 years ago the Gardai didn't enforce the "driving alone" rule and once you're over 30 there's virtually no insurance difference between a full or provisional licence once you have a full NCB.

So lots of people just never bother with the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cal4567 wrote: »
    More fool his local constituency if they continue to vote him in as a TD. I wouldn't want him representing me if I was living there.

Probably best not to live there so. ;)

Sure Barry Cowen was a member of Offaly County Council from 1991 until he became a TD in 2011. Brian Cowen was a TD from 1984 until 2011.

Their father Ber was a TD or Senator from 1969 until his death in 1984. His own father was a member of Offaly County Council from 1932 until 1967.

There has been at least one Cowen representing that area for almost 90 years now. They appear to have some form of monarchy in Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"ROAD safety tsar Gay Byrne yesterday admitted to drinking and driving in the past but said it was part of the Irish culture at the time.

He also confided he used to regularly drive home while over the limit, sometimes after presenting the 'Late Late Show'.

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) chairman made the surprising admission as he continues to campaign for responsible driving.

"I remember the days when I drove home from the 'Late Late Show' late at night -- the great thing in those days was to have a drink or two, or three, in the green room with the guests to thank them for coming and all that," he said."

"Undoubtedly I was over the limit, night after night, until at some stage I was told by the controller of programmes that I wasn't to drive myself home from the show anymore, drunk or sober," recalled Mr Byrne.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-drank-and-drove-home-from-late-late-says-gay-26547792.html
    In Dublin with several modes of transport available and a millionaire but sure Uncle Gaybo was a god.

Allinall wrote: »
    Correct.

He wasn't put off the road for driving while gee-eyed, or even driving while drunk, as has also been claimed on numerous occasions.

Where was he on the gee-o-meter then?

Soft-peddling at it's best. The man got behind the wheel on a learner licence with drink taken to drive half way across the country.

Give the kid gloves political soft-peddle answer to someone who has lost a loved one to a drink driver and see how they take it.

seamus wrote: »
    Very common in some quarters to just keep renewing your provisional/learner permit rather than bother doing a test. 15 years ago the Gardai didn't enforce the "driving alone" rule and once you're over 30 there's virtually no insurance difference between a full or provisional licence once you have a full NCB.

So lots of people just never bother with the test.

Which while a ****ing pisstake and should be cracked down is probably grand for many as they technically aren't breaking the law except he is from Offaly and commutes to Dublin regularly via.....

Where was he on the gee-o-meter then?

Soft-peddling at it's best. The man got behind the wheel on a learner licence with drink taken to drive half way across the country.

Give the kid gloves political soft-peddle answer to someone who has lost a loved one to a drink driver and see how they take it.

Why are you asking me?

hawkwing wrote: »
    "ROAD safety tsar Gay Byrne yesterday admitted to drinking and driving in the past but said it was part of the Irish culture at the time.

He also confided he used to regularly drive home while over the limit, sometimes after presenting the 'Late Late Show'.

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) chairman made the surprising admission as he continues to campaign for responsible driving.

"I remember the days when I drove home from the 'Late Late Show' late at night -- the great thing in those days was to have a drink or two, or three, in the green room with the guests to thank them for coming and all that," he said."

"Undoubtedly I was over the limit, night after night, until at some stage I was told by the controller of programmes that I wasn't to drive myself home from the show anymore, drunk or sober," recalled Mr Byrne.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-drank-and-drove-home-from-late-late-says-gay-26547792.html
    In Dublin with several modes of transport available and a millionaire but sure Uncle Gaybo was a god.

Ohh look pointless derailing whataboutery...... FF defenders right back at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It seems some people don't want accountability in Irish politics. The man never once answered questions on his driving record. He promised road safety groups that he would and then didn't answer a single one in the Dail. He deserved to go and there will be more revelations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Ohh look pointless derailing whataboutery...... FF defenders right back at it
    I never voted for FF or FG in my life and probably won't. Good old Shane Ross another one :

Transport Minister Shane Ross has admitted he got behind the wheel while over the legal alcohol limit in the past.

When asked on 'Prime Time' last night if he had ever driven while over the legal alcohol limit, Mr Ross said: "Of course I have. You see, I haven't had a drink for 30 years or so. So it would have been a very long time ago. But of course I have. And I understand those dangers.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/shane-ross-admits-to-driving-while-over-legal-alcohol-limit-a-long-time-ago-35655084.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Strange decision to sack him for something,that he had done his penalty for,

Either you believe in rehabilition or you dont and we throw away key of anyone convicted of any offence.

The initial coverup was a bit galling,but not illegal imo

I think he was sacked because he said the Gardai report was incorrect.
    There is no way in my view that a guard incorrectly recorded what happened.
    It was totally stupid that a serving Minister thought he could question the integrity of the police force of the country.
    I think but for that he would have survived.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Probably best not to live there so. ;)

Sure Barry Cowen was a member of Offaly County Council from 1991 until he became a TD in 2011. Brian Cowen was a TD from 1984 until 2011.

Their father Ber was a TD or Senator from 1969 until his death in 1984. His own father was a member of Offaly County Council from 1932 until 1967.

There has been at least one Cowen representing that area for almost 90 years now. They appear to have some form of monarchy in Offaly.

Well that reign as king of the biffos is certainly under threat and the coveted crown (!) has certainly lost its lustre between the disasterous Biffo Sr Period as Taoiseach and this ignominious end of a short-lived ministerial career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I'm sure there are plenty of people who sit in judgement here and in other media who have driven slightly over the legal limit.
    Also many who are scoffing who see no issue with doing lines of coke even though it is contributing to mayhem and murder . These people make what Cowen done look like a shrinking violet

Advertisement