Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

AMKC wrote: »
    I feel very sorry for Barry Cowen. The whole thing is utterly stupid. He made a mistake. It was 4 years ago for fu ck sake. He did not deserve to be sacked. As for Micheal Martin I do not think he is doing a good job so far. The ironic thing is if they had not been in power Barry Cowen would still be a TD.

it was the shambolic manner of cover-up that did him in - not the offence 4 years ago - can people not see that?

he decided that he wouldn't speak about what he did at / near the checkpoint.

maybe he knew that it would look so bad if he came out with the details that he knew that he had to cover it up - either way -> that's why he was sacked, not because of the actual 3-month ban.

it's not as if 4 years ago is a long time ago either!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are you trying to up your post count or do you have absolutely nothing to do?

Yeah. I get cash per reply. It's pretty lucrative.

---

Nothing to say about Barry, or are you all about posters responses to the obvious FFer whataboutery?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

glasso wrote: »
    it was the shambolic manner of cover-up that did him in - not the offence 4 years ago - can people not see that?

he decided that he wouldn't speak about what he did at / near the checkpoint.

maybe he knew that it would look so bad if he came out with the details that he knew that he had to cover it up - either way -> that's why he was sacked, not because of the actual 3-month ban.

it's not as if 4 years ago is a long time ago either!

100% this. if he cant handle this he cant handle a real crisis and is unfit to be a minister.

So, do most posters believe that he should have gone because of the drink driving or whatever else is hiding in the shadows?

Surely we should wait to see what else there is?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Also, is there a big social media brigade going after this Buckley guy now?

haven't seen that.

he was absolutely steaming tho - 3 times over the limit - positively dangerous

https://extra.ie/2020/07/09/news/irish-news/drink-driving-pat-buckley

although maybe the provisional licence made more sense in his case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The ironic thing is if they had not been in power Barry Cowen would still be a TD.

What makes you think Barry Cowan is not still a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I feel very sorry for Barry Cowen. The whole thing is utterly stupid. He made a mistake. It was 4 years ago for fu ck sake. He did not deserve to be sacked. As for Micheal Martin I do not think he is doing a good job so far. The ironic thing is if they had not been in power Barry Cowen would still be a TD.

I think if he had not commented on the article at the weekend he would have weathered the storm.
    For me he had got away with it more or less and he should just have said.
    I dealt with that in the dail and i have no further comment it likely fizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

AGS have informed the watchdog about a potential misuse of the PULSE and the disclosure of information held within.

This kinda ****e needs to stop. I'd hope that whatever members accessed this for the purposes of leaking it to the media is sacked. I hope Harris has the cojones to do so thus setting a precedent.

The 'leak' is most likely how Cowen himself was given his pulse report.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dara Calleary replaces Cowen in Agriculture

I'm getting very suspicious about the whole thing, this is a relatively minor matter that is being blown out of proportion. Either internally the FF membership are rabid dogs hungry for power or its a smokescreen for a bigger scandal.

No need. It can be both.

He was sacked because he tried to brazen out his bullshít story. The drink driving incident is now incidental.

• Advertisement

Nobody at his age makes a 'mistake' when choosing to drink and drive.

Cowen still is a TD.

Mmmmm
    So who was behind the drink driving incident being leaked??

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283366443640336389?s=19

Jack Chambers is Chief Whip. Jesus.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Mmmmm
    So who was behind the drink driving incident being leaked??

it's pretty obvious who was

https://gript.ie/thomas-byrne-unconvincing-denial/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

So the West got their minister in the end....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bubblypop wrote: »
    So, do most posters believe that he should have gone because of the drink driving or whatever else is hiding in the shadows?

Surely we should wait to see what else there is?

I didn’t think that the DD warranted his resignation/sacking.
    I think that leaving the other ministers to deal with the media combined with refusing to comply with the party leader/Taoiseach requests to make a statement yesterday in the Dail probably did.

Jack Chambers is Chief Whip. Jesus.

The naïve prick. I feel obliged to point this out every time his name is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

glasso wrote: »

Seems like a nice sort of guy..

can anyone at all explain how chambers is so highly thought of within the leadership

id have thought he would be utterly toxic

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    The naïve prick. I feel obliged to point this out every time his name is mentioned.

He's horrid.

Glebee wrote: »
    Seems like a nice sort of guy..

what a fooking snake Thomas Byrne is - all in a tantrum 'cos he didn't get a ministerial post in the first round.

who needs enemies on the opposition bench when these are the sort of bastards in your own party?

the culture of Haughey, P Flynn et al is alive and well in Fianna Fail.

can anyone at all explain how chambers is so highly thought of within the leadership

He's young. And FF aren't exactly attracting young electable people. That's the height of it, the anti-choice little cur.

He's a sock puppet for the old school Lennihan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So Cowen rang the Gardai and got his pulse file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He made a mistake? lol.
    Being economical with the truth is what cost him his position. Only one to blame is him. He had an opportunity to answer questions but refused, I wonder why?
    Agreed about Martin though. Clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Always looks like somebody to me who is permanently sitting on a wasp's nest.

So Cowen rang the Gardai and got his pulse file?

Possibly got in touch with one of his local lads with a nudge and a wink thinking it would absolve him when he showed it to Martin. There's a process involved in applying and receiving such a file, which seemed to have been pretty quick in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No promotion for Anne Rabbitte I notice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Clown to accept the left overs , have they no respect for themselves

Advertisement