Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hurrache wrote: »
    Possibly got in touch with one of his local lads with a nudge and a wink thinking it would absolve him when he showed it to Martin. There's a process involved in applying and receiving such a file, which seemed to have been pretty quick in this case.

It's very odd altogether.

Will the new Justice Minister clarify the procedures...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Dara Calleary replaces Cowen in Agriculture

Who is Whip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Who is Whip?

Jack Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Who is Whip?

Chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Calleary get the runner up prize. Says all, about the calibre of the man.
    A junior ministry wasn't enough to serve the country in. He wanted the too job and the paycheck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They normally have a month to reply to your request for any personal information they hold on you. I'm not sure what exactly is covered by personal information under such a request, i.e. any notes as to the offence/potential offence they've recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There'd be no need for minister for justice to clarify procedures. They'll be listed on the Garda website under FOI procedures as they are for all government departments , state bodies. Although in saying that it might have been the wink wink that got it so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

AMKC wrote: »
    I feel very sorry for Barry Cowen. The whole thing is utterly stupid. He made a mistake. It was 4 years ago for fu ck sake. He did not deserve to be sacked. As for Micheal Martin I do not think he is doing a good job so far. The ironic thing is if they had not been in power Barry Cowen would still be a TD.

If he had told Martin 4 years ago out this and come clean it would have been dealt with and there would be no story and today he would still be a minister. The thing is he didn't do that he kept quiet about and now it has all come out and it as cost him his job as a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sparko wrote: »
    Jack Chambers.

Anyone else crack up laughing when that was announced. :D

Chambers gets a hard press for opposing the repeal of the 8th Amendment because he's young and from Dublin.

I think people need to move on from that.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    There'd be no need for minister for justice to clarify procedures. They'll be listed on the Garda website under FOI procedures as they are for all government departments , state bodies. Although in saying that it might have been the wink wink that got it so quickly.

Without a doubt.

It's nicely timed that the new Minister for Justice is no where to be seen at the moment.

Floppybits wrote: »
    If he had told Martin 4 years ago out this and come clean it would have been dealt with and there would be no story and today he would still be a minister. The thing is he didn't do that he kept quiet about and now it has all come out and it as cost him his job as a minister.

not necessarily imo

if the bit about the shifty behaviour at / near the checkpoint as mentioned in the pulse report came out at any time he could have been fooked. especially if he made a bollix of dealing with it like he did over the last few days.

even if he came clean and it was as reported by the Sunday Times ->

you can't be pulling u-turns at garda checkpoints and expect all to be grand when you're appointed a minister in national government.

Chambers gets a hard press for opposing the repeal of the 8th Amendment because he's young and from Dublin.

He's not representative of his age group, has no life experience, has had everything handed to him on a plate, doesn't come up with any policies of his own, has a nasty streak. There's plenty to move onto with this fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ffs this issue is done. Move on. Are there not more pressing issues at hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Also, is there a big social media brigade going after this Buckley guy now?

No, he seems to be getting off relatively unscathed, but that's probably to do with his country cousin from FG Michael Hegarty own troubles with a breathalyser in 2013 leaving those in glass houses unable to throw stones and try to take the high moral ground tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Possibly got in touch with one of his local lads with a nudge and a wink thinking it would absolve him when he showed it to Martin. There's a process involved in applying and receiving such a file, which seemed to have been pretty quick in this case.

I was trying to figure that one out myself;

On the one hand media reporting on the media was a disgraceful data breach,
    On the other MM saying he saw the file and making vague, unsubstantiated comments on it was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Also, is there a big social media brigade going after this Buckley guy now?

I'm not sure why there would be, he did the crime, got punished, took his punishment, and got on with life, presumably obeying the drink driving and all other driving regulations since.

I presume the myriad of unanswered (by himself) questions relating to Cowen are not relevant for Buckley. If there were unanswered questions around Buckley would you not expect the rag to be digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The 'leak' is most likely how Cowen himself was given his pulse report.

No. That's called the freedom of information act.

No. That's called the freedom of information act.

This is the whole point you're missing, it was remarkably quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Calleary get the runner up prize. Says all, about the calibre of the man.
    A junior ministry wasn't enough to serve the country in. He wanted the top job and the paycheck.

If I was in the West, I'd now feel emboldened. We haven't been forgotten. We have our man sitting at the Cabinet table making decisions for us. I'll be walking down Main St in the town tonight with my chest out, proud, the tears will be hard to hold back. We are back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Cal4567 wrote: »
    If I was in the West, I'd now feel emboldened. We haven't been forgotten. We have our man sitting at the Cabinet table making decisions for us. I'll be walking down Main St in the town tonight with my chest out, proud, the tears will be hard to hold back. We are back!!

Mayo4Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I'm not sure why there would be, he did the crime, got punished, took his punishment, and got on with life, presumably obeying the drink driving and all other driving regulations since.

Agree with you, and anyone should get a second chance when they own up and are honest.

Then I see, 4years after that drink driving incident, Buckley was convicted of public intoxication and told Gardaí to fcuk off.

It needs to get to a certain level for that to happen imo. Perhaps he'd be better off giving the drink a miss. Two strikes now.

2203_padraig-flynn_290.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMr2QRsW0HU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

glasso wrote: »
    2203_padraig-flynn_290.jpg

I'll tell you, you try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Absolutely not.

Being against repeal was one thing. That's okay, I disagree with it but people are entitled to their opinion on these matters.

However, like a lot of his party, he voted against having the referendum. He didn't think that the people should have a say in the matter, so for that we should never let him forget about it.
    They're two different matters and he deserves all the stick and opprobrium he gets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

glasso wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you keep posting that link on this thread (despite a mod warning telling you to stop)? Do you work for gript or what?

gmisk wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you keep posting that link on this thread (despite a mod warning telling you to stop)? Do you work for gript or what?

didn't see any mod warning.

why would there be an issue when it's only a link to a an article on another website?

I have no connection to gript but it seems a fairly convincing argument to me

are you mates with Thomas Byrne or something or just worried that it shows up FF to be a shower of counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Technically, boy wonder Jack Chambers is also from the west and so are his parents. He is certainly no Dub. He represents my constituency and I can't understand why anyone under 60 would vote for him. I am aware the traditional Fianna Fail vote in Castleknock transferred to him unfortunately.

Back to Cowen-Gate. Did we ever find out who supplied him with the All Ireland ticket considering plenty of genuine fans were left ticketless; that is another question that he needs to answer!!

Advertisement