Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's right, I'm working. You should try it sometime.

You're very wound up today. You should go do some work and stay off these fora.

Bowie wrote: »
    You might find yourself humming, 'Come out you black and tans' this is normal. Your first copy of 'An Phoblacht' is in the post ;)

I wouldn't denigrate SF by calling him a shinnerbot. He's clearly a FF shill. And a poor one at that.

Shefwedfan had more stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

IMG-20200715-152709.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Technically, boy wonder Jack Chambers is also from the west and so are his parents. He is certainly no Dub. He represents my constituency and I can't understand why anyone under 60 would vote for him. I am aware the traditional Fianna Fail vote in Castleknock transferred to him unfortunately.

Back to Cowen-Gate. Did we ever find out who supplied him with the All Ireland ticket considering plenty of genuine fans were left ticketless; that is another question that he needs to answer!!

Nonsense, what does it matter? Do you want every ticket tracked to see where it ended up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

You should go do some work and stay off these fora.

Are you training to be a parrot?

Nah you're way too poor a poster to cause any sort of emotion.

• Advertisement

Are you training to be a parrot?

Nah you're way too poor a poster to cause any sort of emotion.

Sure I am. So awful, that you just can't help yourself.

Anyway. This is way off topic. Set up a thread dedicated to my awful disparaging of Fianna Fáil if you wish.

Maybe you can reach me about their illustrious history before I was in long trousers? Pre-2008 will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Sure I am. So awful, that you just can't help yourself.

When you see a poster with 3 or 4 uninterrupted posts in a row you know you're dealing with a loser. The elevator hasn't stopped at your top floor in a longtime.

I'll give you a lesson on control. I will not be replying to you again as I choose not to. You will not be able to resist replying to me.

When you see a poster with 3 or 4 uninterrupted posts in a row you know you're dealing with a loser. The elevator hasn't stopped at your top floor in a longtime.

I'll give you a lesson on control. I will not be replying to you again as I choose not to. You will not be able to resist replying to me.

Ha ha ha. You're still going. You're amazing. Don't ever leave us. Xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ha ha ha. You're still going. You're amazing. Don't ever leave us. Xxxx

Something tells me that the departure of Mr July 2020 is going to be very soon indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hurrache wrote:
    It also made me realise why I stopped listening to this particular show a long time ago.
    How do you know what was said in it if you stopped listening to it a long time ago?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ae Fond Kiss do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

AMKC wrote: »
    I feel very sorry for Barry Cowen. The whole thing is utterly stupid. He made a mistake. It was 4 years ago for fu ck sake. He did not deserve to be sacked. As for Micheal Martin I do not think he is doing a good job so far. The ironic thing is if they had not been in power Barry Cowen would still be a TD.

Barry Cowen still is a TD. He was sacked from his position as Minister For Agriculture.He will now revert to being a backbencher.
    I agree with you about Micheal Martin, until yesterday he was virtually unseen since the Government was formed.It felt like Leo Varadkar was still Taoiseach as he has been on TV and Radio everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

As a FFer, which do you regret more: his actions? his being caught? or the fact that he made you look like a gullible fool for nearly two weeks?

It strikes me that the natives seem to be restless and their Dear Leader better watch his back.

you are making an assumption that I am a party supporter. also could you politely make your comment without calling me a fool. it makes you look illiterate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wouldn't denigrate SF by calling him a shinnerbot. He's clearly a FF shill. And a poor one at that.

Shefwedfan had more stamina.

I was making light of you being labelled work shy because you were critical of a party. It's no different to being called a shinnerbot. An excuse to dismiss sound criticism claiming the source is merely biased, even if correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

eagle eye wrote: »
    How do you know what was said in it if you stopped listening to it a long time ago?

There's no huge jump in logic required to understand that I heard the piece that I refer to.
    Eagle eyed Poirot you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Calleary get the runner up prize. Says all, about the calibre of the man.
    A junior ministry wasn't enough to serve the country in. He wanted the too job and the paycheck.

Even as a non fianna fail voter ever (and that includes for him or his father before him) I think he got screwed.
    Never in the history of the state has the deputy leader of the major governmental party not gotten a senior ministry.
    Hell the deputy leader or the coalition partners usually get a ministry.
    The deputy leader of the other parties all got ministry.

It was a total slap in the face.

It would be like playing in every game up until the All Ireland final and then being told you are now carrying the kit bags.

Going by your username maybe you are sore because Dillie O'Dea isn't back in :D
    Technically, boy wonder Jack Chambers is also from the west and so are his parents. He is certainly no Dub. He represents my constituency and I can't understand why anyone under 60 would vote for him. I am aware the traditional Fianna Fail vote in Castleknock transferred to him unfortunately.

Oh not a true Dub like say Lawlor or Ahern. :rolleyes:
    Terms like FFer whataboutery are little populist statements made by get ups like yourself.

FF are very much a part of the fabric of this country, they had 41/42% of the national vote in 2002 and 2007. So a lot of posters here voted for them. You presumably were in senior infants and have been repeating ever since.

Along with FG they formed the nation over the past 100 years. Yes they didn't perform well in the last recession. But it was a worldwide one. FG were equally as poor from 1982-1987. There's corruption in all parties. But your little short, selective memory can only see FFers.

Let's take other parties. Labour..not a whole lot to write home about. FG, the big farmers' party, for those who wear the county colours and then city FG, liberal, slick, massive PR machine. A lot of them would like to commemorate the Black n Tans. Is that your party?

Sinn Fein, lacking in talent, pie in the sky policies and fair share with very dodgy connections. Do you vote for them?

FF are no worse or better than any of the others. Just an easy target for the historically illiterate, with too much time on their hands, like you.

Ahhh FFS.

They didn't perform well in the last recession my hole. :mad::mad::mad:

They made the world wide recession 100 times worse in Ireland, because of their policies for the preceding 10 years, where they turned a booming economy based on real jobs into one dependent on cheap credit where an unsustainable amount of the workforce were either in construction or retail.
    They based increased public spending on non sustainable tax revenues from retail and construction.

And in the process they allowed and nay encouraged criminal levels of negligence in our lending institutions which resulted in our two main high street banks needing taxpayer funded bailouts, two more banks going to the wall resulting in billions of non performing loans and debts being dumped on present and future taxpayers.

Added to that the developers who had been their bedfellows in the tent in Ballybrit every year swanned off into the sunset, declaring bankruptcy after conveniently more often than not transferring their assets into the names of family members.

Yeah there is corruption in all parties, but by fook fianna fail have PHDs in it.
    What other party had a leader that was getting handouts from every major businessman in the state?
    What other party had a leader that had unexplained wads of cash handed to him all the while he didn't have a fooking bank account ?
    What other state in the world bar a tin pot one would have the minister of finance in the 1990s without a bank account ?

What other party had Liam Lawlor, Padraig Flynn, Ray Burke, Ivor Callely, Denis Foley, John O'Donoghue, Sean Doherty.

WTF everything from phone tapping, planning corruption, licensing corruption, underhanded payments for planning, tax avoidance bank accounts, bogus expenses....

I am not allowed discuss …

farmertipp wrote: »
    you are making an assumption that I am a party supporter. also could you politely make your comment without calling me a fool. it makes you look illiterate

Well I've been around these parts long enough to know the signs of a party supporter. Sure, what you say might be true, but your posting style says to me otherwise.

Anyway, I apologise for the fool comment. I should have phrased that better tbh. [corrected]
    Bowie wrote: »
    I was making light of you being labelled work shy because you were critical of a party. It's no different to being called a shinnerbot. An excuse to dismiss sound criticism claiming the source is merely biased, even if correct.

Oh I know Bowie, but it was a nicely served ball that was easily lobbed back in his direction. Anyway, I guess it worked.

And we can all move on and work out exactly what it was that made MM change his mind. That will be a juicy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well I've been around these parts long enough to know the signs of a party supporter. Sure, what you say might be true, but your posting style says to me otherwise.

Anyway, I apologise for the fool comment. I should have phrased that better tbh. [corrected]

Oh I know Bowie, but it was a nicely served ball that was easily lobbed back in his direction. Anyway, I guess it worked.

And we can all move on and work out exactly what it was that made MM change his mind. That will be a juicy one.

Fair enough. These cans of Dutch Gold won't drink themselves ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ivan Yates said TV3 cannot get any government TDs to come on the Tonight show this evening to discuss the Cowen sacking. He said the usual suspects have all gone to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here today.

Think I’ll stay clear for a day or two till the heat dies down.

Could be drawn into ‘putting the head into some lads’.

Lot of anger.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Even as a non fianna fail voter ever (and that includes for him or his father before him) I think he got screwed.
    Never in the history of the state has the deputy leader of the major governmental party not gotten a senior ministry.
    Hell the deputy leader or the coalition partners usually get a ministry.
    The deputy leader of the other parties all got ministry.

It was a total slap in the face.

It would be like playing in every game up until the All Ireland final and then being told you are now carrying the kit bags.

Going by your username maybe you are sore because Dillie O'Dea isn't back in :D

Like poor David Clarke in 2016 eh?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Like poor David Clarke in 2016 eh?

:P

Now don't you dare go there.

:mad::mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Chambers gets a hard press for opposing the repeal of the 8th Amendment because he's young and from Dublin.

I think people need to move on from that.

Why? It shows his backwards thinking.

2. Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

Once Michael Martin found out that Barry Cowen had a conviction for drink driving he should have been booted out of the cabinet so in that sense the Taoiseach procrastinated. It's impossible for a Taoiseach to be aware of the minutae of a person's personal life so in that sense Cowen set himself up for this fall.
      In public life optics are everything. Cowen comes from a political family. Cowen may well have been hung by those not fans of his. However he gave them plenty of rope. It's important for the Taoiseach to be decisive. Let's hope he learns from this. If he doesn't he may well be the one with rope around his neck.

3. Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lot of anger here today.

Think I’ll stay clear for a day or two till the heat dies down.

Could be drawn into ‘putting the head into some lads’.

Lot of anger.

You still had to wander in and have your spake though!

I'm sure you'll have a lot to say in the coming days once your anger subsides.

4. Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ivan Yates said TV3 cannot get any government TDs to come on the Tonight show this evening to discuss the Cowen sacking. He said the usual suspects have all gone to ground.

Why would anyone volunteer to go on TV last night at 10 o'clock when Cowen was sacked an hour before. Simon Coveney was scheduled for Prime Time for another matter and Miriam just kept firing silly questions at him about the sacking of Cowen.

5. Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You still had to wander in and have your spake though!

I'm sure you'll have a lot to say in the coming days once your anger subsides.

No B won’t have much.... very little in fact.

The tablets are beginning to hit home.

Very relaxed.....

6. Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

batman75 wrote: »
      In public life optics are everything.
      Yes, and if you are getting served out of them you should check the settings are correct.
      You might have only had 2 drinks, but who knows if the measures were right?

7. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
      No no. He broke the law. He is no longer a minister, which is correct.
      But he has to be able to get on with his life.
      What's the point in twisting the knife???

Do you think this was the first time he did it?

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

His decision not to address legitimate questions meant it dragged on longer than it should and he may have kept the ministry if he dealt with things openly and in a transparent way. He may have to deal with this again if he has ambitions of being in a leadership position in the future. If this happened 10 or 20 years ago, I think there would have been a collective FF shrug of the shoulders and his job would be safe. For now, let's hope the government don't f*** things up as there are a lot of hard decisions ahead and Cowen should be allowed a break from the spotlight. It's not nice seeing people go through this and I'm sure it's difficult for his family too.

Advertisement