Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I am open to correction,but I think only the Taoiseach and Tanaiste have chauffeur driven cars.

Ministers definately had drivers a few years ago, even the juniors ,whether paid by them or us I'm not sure,

mynamejeff wrote: »
    well no I didn't mention daly first that was a different "poster"

you posted links that proved nothing just suggests innuendo, GSOC have gone to court with much weaker cases,

I m suggesting that its likely that daly called Wallace while in custody , (mentioned in your link ) and got him to leak it for political reasons

and like you I have no proof of this but at the time and in the context the only one that leak it would have benefited was daly

your going around in circles because your not listening kid

Did the guard not put it up on the Garda Facebook?

Interesting to see all the media coverage about this and not a word about the new Minister for Children's endorsement of Peter Thatchell

Media running scared or bigger story to surface?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Ministers definately had drivers a few years ago, even the juniors ,whether paid by them or us I'm not sure,

I think its paid for themselves last few years but im sure there's an allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Read the first few pages then skipped to last page, so apologies if this has been covered.

This was 4 years ago, he'd been driving to and fro from Offaly and Dublin..on as he calls it a "provisional licence"

Well, for a well read minister he's fudging it, On 30th September 2007 (over 4 years ago)the new "Learner Permit"came into being and on 30th June 2008 all learner permit holders had to be accompanied by a fully licenced driver .

So this man is picking up expenses for driving to and from the Dáil "illegally" repeatedly

So not only his over the limit for being a learner (10mg per 100) but driving unaccompanied too, did this invalid his insurance if he did to damage along the way?

• Advertisement

Did the guard not put it up on the Garda Facebook?

McMurphy might be able to tell you that they did but I don't know :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

well no I didn't mention daly first that was a different "poster"

What's this nonsense? Daly had been mentioned numerous times on the thread, no-one was suggesting you brought her name up first bro, I said that you stated - and doubled down on it too, that Daly "leaked the details of her own arrest" which you did do here.
    Daly "leaked " the incident herself to create media intrest cowen didn't make a issue until the media did.

you posted links that proved nothing just suggests innuendo, GSOC have gone to court with much weaker cases,

I m suggesting that its likely that daly called Wallace while in custody , (mentioned in your link ) and got him to leak it for political reasons

and like you I have no proof of this but at the time and in the context the only one that leak it would have benefited was daly

your going around in circles because your not listening kid

Let's see..... Who's versions of events I am leaning towards finding the more credible......

The impartial and independent GSOC with their published report, or a poster who openly freely posted their prejudice against Daly.......

All information from Daly herself, is there an outcome from an investigation or just a fringe politician trying to make herself relevant

Hmmmmmm has me in a bit of a pickle so it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 waver

selous wrote: »
    Read the first few pages then skipped to last page, so apologies if this has been covered.

This was 4 years ago, he'd been driving to and fro from Offaly and Dublin..on as he calls it a "provisional licence"

Well, for a well read minister he's fudging it, On 30th September 2007 (over 4 years ago)the new "Learner Permit"came into being and on 30th June 2008 all learner permit holders had to be accompanied by a fully licenced driver .

So this man is picking up expenses for driving to and from the Dáil "illegally" repeatedly

So not only his over the limit for being a learner (10mg per 100) but driving unaccompanied too, did this invalid his insurance if he did to damage along the way?

And presumably taking the long road because as a learner, even when accompanied, he can’t drive on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Back in power and Fianna Fail already creating drama.

Meh. Just a few years ago, wasn't it a Fine Gael TD that a Garda tried to stop drink driving from Dáil Éireann, who then assaulted the Garda, leaving her in hospital with her injuries? Got fairly well swept under the carpet.

They are all as bad as each other.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What's this nonsense? Daly had been mentioned numerous times on the thread, no-one was suggesting you brought her name up first bro, I said that you stated - and doubled down on it too, that Daly "leaked the details of her own arrest" which you did do here.

Let's see..... Who's versions of events I am leaning towards finding the more credible......

The impartial and independent GSOC with their published report, or a poster who openly freely posted their prejudice against Daly.......

Hmmmmmm has me in a bit of a pickle so it has.

yeap I still agree that the person who had the most to gain from the leak was daly and through her call to Wallace she had the means

your faith in GSOC isn't shared by the lady in question , and not just on this matter ,

have a google

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I cant help but assume that you intentionally missed the point

but I agree that cowens issue was more relevant at the time and should have been covered in the public interest ,

daly on the other hand in my opinion made sure hers was for her own reasons

You think Daly asked for that treatment for self promotion?
    Still stands, press hammered her, ignored Cowen, until now. Also MM likely lied IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

waver wrote: »
    That interview with Barry Cowen was quite odd.

Why did he keep saying his licence had been regularised? Did he actually sit and pass his driving test at some stage?

Bertiespeak

There's usually more to these stories than meets the eye

post a link and then complain about the content within ? then make really poor attempt to be condescending ?

aside from that

3 and a half years of investigation and GSOC prosecuted no one ? but you can prove something else ? F me you must be good .

I wonder if Clare Daly made the phone call herself to her old pal Mick Wallace and got him to make a few calls to garner some much needed publicity , it did take her 2 hours to provide a sample according to the link you posted .

My dog in this as you put it is I don't like grotty public reps exploiting people

but are you a fully paid up member of the Offaly Cumann?

Bowie wrote: »
    You think Daly asked for that treatment for self promotion?
    Still stands, press hammered her, ignored Cowen, until now. Also MM likely lied IMO.

what treatment are you talking about ?

were the facts reported not accurate ? or are you suggesting that she was mistreated by the gardai

but are you a fully paid up member of the Offaly Cumann?

im a member of no political party if that matters to you ,

but if I believe that there should be a Zero level of alcohol permitted when driving any vehicle

so both Daly and Cowen should have been convicted and banned IMO

what treatment are you talking about ?

were the facts reported not accurate ? or are you suggesting that she was mistreated by the gardai

Yes I very much am and the press.
    Cowen wasnt reported on at all.
    I'm more interested in how the press functioned here than Cowen being a dangerous gilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭capefear

https://twitter.com/HangBlaa/status/1279743090807496704

Im not sure it this was posted already.

Bowie wrote: »
    Yes I very much am and the press.
    Cowen wasnt reported on at all.
    I'm more interested in how the press functioned here than Cowen being a dangerous gilly.

you better make a complaint to GSOC so MAtt

im a member of no political party if that matters to you ,

but if I believe that there should be a Zero level of alcohol permitted when driving any vehicle

so both Daly and Cowen should have been convicted and banned IMO

Seems FF are very fond of the drink driving
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2018/09/19/senator-has-alleged-drink-driving-case-adjourned-for-fourteenth-time/
    Seems to be compulsary up here for FF as former minster and a county counciilor caught twice in 6 months.

Seems FF are very fond of the drink driving
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2018/09/19/senator-has-alleged-drink-driving-case-adjourned-for-fourteenth-time/
    Seems to be compulsary up here for FF as former minster and a county counciilor caught twice in 6 months.

I detest drink driving , once with any level of alcohol should be a ban twice should have a judge thinking about jail and three or more should be straight to jail ,

but that's just my opinion

• Advertisement

There's something fishy about the driving licence

Whatever that is

Koolguy wrote: »
    There's something fishy about the driving licence

Whatever that is

I'm susppecting he never had a licence of any kind, can't see this going away

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope he does and they’ll explain to him what a fixed charge notice is and why everybody who record one doesn’t end up in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

capefear wrote: »

He'll be resigning by weeks end.

I'm susppecting he never had a licence of any kind, can't see this going away

You just know when he says" regularised", there's more to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

He'll be resigning by weeks end.

Care to suggest why he might do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm not sure if the travel expenses are exactly intended for driving yourself. For example you could choose to travel by taxi instead. Or have someone drive you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

He rectified his licence? How do you do that? Do you not qualify for a full licence by passing the test? Something very fishy about this!

Well jiff, its believed by themselves the leak most likely came from garda sources. So job done.

• Advertisement

Well this is very Fianna Fail indeed.

Advertisement