Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

Jim Root wrote: »
    Do you think this was the first time he did it?

Has he been convicted before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

bubblypop wrote: »
    Has he been convicted before?

As a TD it's surprising he was convicted at all....... this is Ireland after all

Why? It shows his backwards thinking.

So we're going to have that argument now?

wrangler wrote: »
    As a TD it's surprising he was convicted at all....... this is Ireland after all

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

While it's true that the drink driving incident was a few years ago, it seems to be the case that he was still driving around without a valid license. With a provisional / learner's permit he should have had L plates up and been accompanied by a qualified driver.

Every single time he drove unaccompanied and without L plates he was breaking the law. Every single time. Looking at photos of his car parked in Dublin, there was no sign of L plates. He would have known he was breaking the law every time he got in the car, but he didn't care.

That's not acceptable for a TD, never mind a minister.

• Advertisement

Which road traffic offences are ok and which are not?
    Who decides?
    Should any TD convicted of road traffic offences lose their jobs?
    Where does the line lie? Who decides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

What this incident shows is that Fianna Fail is rotten to the core. It will be the same shambles as 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jimi H wrote: »
    His decision not to address legitimate questions meant it dragged on longer than it should and he may have kept the ministry if he dealt with things openly and in a transparent way. He may have to deal with this again if he has ambitions of being in a leadership position in the future. If this happened 10 or 20 years ago, I think there would have been a collective FF shrug of the shoulders and his job would be safe. For now, let's hope the government don't f*** things up as there are a lot of hard decisions ahead and Cowen should be allowed a break from the spotlight. It's not nice seeing people go through this and I'm sure it's difficult for his family too.

Please save us from this crap about his family. :rolleyes:

Any spotlight on them is due to Cowen breaking the law, and how he hid from democratic scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

From the RTE radio voxpops the man is a living God in Tullamore. And this was both before and after the sacking. RTE were there last week

Everyone interviewed from an ordinary resident to a FF councillor backed their man

One local threatened to run the roving reporter out of town just for asking

And people laugh at Kerry for this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Who decides?

If you are in a position that you get to implement laws the populace are required to follow, you lead by example. It's a fairly simple concept.
    The days of do as we say and not as we do are dying, even AGS has begun to realise that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mikemac2 wrote: »
    One local threatened to run the roving reporter out of town just for asking

FFers and their contempt for democracy.

If you are in a position that you get to implement laws the populace are required to follow, you lead by example. It's a fairly simple concept.
    The days of do as we say and not as we do are dying, even AGS has begun to realise that.

But which road traffic offences are too much?
    What about TDs who have too many penalty points? Should they lose their jobs?

Aren't you a member of AGS? If I'm wrong my mistake , however if I'm not which laws do you think shoudn't
    be enforced .
    Cowens behaviour moved on from his road traffic offense days ago and his position became untenable if you can't see that well I can't help you. He's still a TD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

Who decides?

I think a TD choosing to break the law, repeatedly, crosses a line.

It's shows contempt for the law, which doesn't sit well when you are a legislator and possibly a minister.

The fact that he (and many others it seems) don't see anything wrong with a minister giving two fingers to the rest of us, who have passed our tests and kept our licenses up to date, says a lot.

As for who decides, in politics it is often the party leader who decides, based on what the public perception is. The public didn't like it, so the party leader chucked him out. Fair enough too.

Aren't you a member of AGS? If I'm wrong my mistake , however if I'm not which laws do you think shoudn't
    be enforced .
    Cowens behaviour moved on from his road traffic offense days ago and his position became untenable if you can't see that well I can't help you. He's still a TD

Yep, you're not wrong.
    I believe all laws should be enforced.

What I'm asking, is which laws the public feel should be sackable offences? Should all road traffic offences be a sackable offence? Or is there a line somewhere?
    Where is the line? & who decides ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,350 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Penalty points are not always for criminal offences.

The man drove while having drinks on him..4 years ago. Aged 45 or so. When a TD...

Drink driving is abhorrent. Potentially life changing. And should not be tolerated...

Added to it happening on a prov licence, and his failure to disclose it to his party..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This post is literally whataboutery.

In any case it wasnt the drink driving charge that sank Cowen, it was the cover up of it and his refusal to answer any questions that got him in the end

Yep, you're not wrong.

What I'm asking, is which laws the public feel should be sackable offences? Should all road traffic offences be a sackable offence? Or is there a line somewhere?

Cowen wasn't sacked for failing a breathe test you do realise don't you?
    The rest of your post is nonsense and you shouldn't need a member of the public to highlight which laws of the road traffic acts should be enforced.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This post is literally whataboutery.

In any case it wasnt the drink driving charge that sank Cowen, it was the cover up of it and his refusal to answer any questions that got him in the end

It was all of the above. The actual drinking and driving played a big part. It had to...

It is seem as a big no no today and recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yep, you're not wrong.

Cowen wasn't sacked because of the drink driving charge. He was sacked because he failed to disclose all the details of what happened that night (and I am sure there's still more to emerge) to his, party, his party's leader and Taoiseach, the Dail and the public.

We don't know what the pulse report Barry so easily obtained contained, but we do know whatever it was, it must be so serious that Michaél went from giving him his full support circa 2pm to giving him his ministerial P45 shortly after 8pm.

It wasn't the driving offence that we know of that seems to have cost him his job though.

• Advertisement

Guys, the actual drink driving was very influential in the sacking

Had it been disclosed that he received some penalty points for “minor” traffic offences, this would never have gotten this far.

Drink driving is criminal..

walshb wrote: »
    Guys, the actual drink driving was very influential in the sacking

Had it been disclosed that he received some penalty points for “minor” traffic offences, this would never have gotten this far.

The drink driving was dealt with, what came out in the pulse report yesterday that Cowen was able to obtain so quickly was the nail in his coffin. Author of his dimise.

Cowen wasn't sacked for failing a breathe test you do realise don't you?
    The rest of your post is nonsense and you shouldn't need a member of the public to highlight which laws of the road traffic acts should be enforced.

All road traffic laws should be and are enforced.

I do realise, and said so earlier in this thread! He wasn't sacked for a road traffic offence, there was clearly something else behind the scenes.
    But, the question remains, a lot of posters feel he should have been sacked for the drink driving, so where is the line of road traffic offences?

walshb wrote: »

But it's not though, drink driving is a road traffic offence

All road traffic laws should be and are enforced.

I do realise, and said so earlier in this thread! He wasn't sacked for a road traffic offence, there was clearly something else behind the scenes.
    But, the question remains, a lot of posters feel he should have been sacked for the drink driving, so where is the line of road traffic offences?
    Are you happy for someone to flout the very laws that they are a member of the legislature that enacted them?

You get an 80 euro fine

He loses his job

Yep, equality

You get an 80 euro fine

He loses his job

Yep, equality

He didn't lose his job for failing a breathe test, are you capable of critical thought?

Are you happy for someone to flout the very laws that they are a member of the legislature that enacted them?

Nope, but the general public have different ideas to me!
    Do everyone feel that road traffic offences are a sackable offence?
    Should every member of the house declare any road traffic offence? Should they reseign over it?

Nope, but the general public have different ideas to me!
    Do everyone feel that road traffic offences are a sackable offence?
    Should every member of the house declare any road traffic offence? Should they reseign over it?

No idea what kind of nonsense you keep engaging in but it has become apparent in the last two days that's Cowens sacking is related to what the pulse file contains but was not released to the public.
    You should question your career choice if you are incapable of processing new information.

• Advertisement

But it's not though, drink driving is a road traffic offence

Ok,

I have not checked, but are some drink driving offences criminal?

His maybe wasn’t..

Advertisement