Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Almost something Brian Cowen would have said.

When he could speak :)
    Brian is still the smarter Cowen brother.

And he's in a permanent vegetative state!!!!l

:)
    Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Right so.

So what about this Buckley lad? Three times over the limit and in trouble since for abusing Gardai.
    Should SF get rid of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

How was Micheál Martin not aware of the Cowen drink-driving incident when it took place in 2016? As FF leader, wasn't it his business to be aware back then that a TD in his party had a brush with the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

eagle eye wrote: »
    So what about this Buckley lad? Three times over the limit and in trouble since for abusing Gardai.
    Should SF get rid of him?

Yes 100 per cent. Im an SF fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭4Ad

Brian is still the smarter Cowen brother.

And he's in a permanent vegetative state!!!!l

:)

Awful comment..Good God..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

How was Micheál Martin not aware of the Cowen drink-driving incident when it took place in 2016? As FF leader, wasn't it his business to be aware back then that a TD in his party had a brush with the law?

I think it implies that he doesn't have power over his party. Perhaps it was hidden from him one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

bubblypop wrote: »
    I couldn't care less what minister lost his job or what happened to any TD in the dail.
    I'm just interested in what offences the general public feel are a sackable offence

There's no black and white answer to that question. It depends on the the offence/offences and the job involved.

You wouldn't give a lad with a relatively recent drink driving ban a job driving the school bus, but he would be grand laying blocks.

In this case, first of all, he wasn't sacked, he's still a TD and rightly so as he was elected by the people.

He was demoted, in reality it was nothing to do with his driving record, he committed the cardinal sin of making his leader look bad.

He spent years ignoring and breaking the laws that are there to keep all of us safe and this for me is a clear demonstration that he is not a suitable person to hold high office.

This wasn't just getting a few points for speeding, or even a drink driving offence. It is ongoing disregard for the law and society.

If someone in his position can't organise their personal life enough that they can drive legally then they are probably not the best person to be in charge of a major government department.

I think all our ministers should be of good character/repute.

What level of law breaking do you think is acceptable in a government ministers background?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if he did try to do a U turn and avoid the cops, he had to be sacked, pity, he was a good appointment for the position

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    if he did try to do a U turn and avoid the cops, he had to be sacked, pity, he was a good appointment for the position

I don’t think he was right for agriculture at all. Certainly don’t think he would hold the greyhound industry to account, pro hare coursing, no real interest in biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

Mad_maxx wrote: »

What’s his Ag background? Compared to other FF TDS (ie Jackie Cahill former ICMSA president & farmer in a stronger Ag county).

Pippa Hackett (super Junior in Ag) from the greens, is a farmer and has a number of Ag related third level qualifications.

Plus two Ag ministers from Offaly was a bit silly!

• Advertisement

He didn't lose his job for failing a breathe test, are you capable of critical thought?

Yes, yes he did. In reality that's what happened.

Can you engage without insults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No,no he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he lost his job because of his poor handling of the revelation. If he had been upfront from start and answered the questions put to him he might still be a minister.

Jimi H wrote: »
    I don’t think he was right for agriculture at all. Certainly don’t think he would hold the greyhound industry to account, pro hare coursing, no real interest in biodiversity.

Thousands of farmers would strongly disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No he didn't - in fact Michaél Martin was completely and utterly happy enough to draw a line under the episode, so far as he was concerned, Barry Cowen committed the offence, was punished appropriately, served his time so to speak, and since being brought to light, made a heart felt apology, and everyone should move on.

But then something else happened.

Might have been connected to the drink driving episode, but ultimately he didn't lose his job for that, it was for events either pre, or post the breathalyser test, of which we aren't being made aware of as yet.

But it'll all come out in the wash. It always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The Dept of Agriculture and Marine is about more than farmers.
    It also is charged with overseeing animal welfare legislation and the greyhound industry. No one who knows Cowen's record believed he would be even slightly interested in that part of his portfolio.

he lost his job because of his poor handling of the revelation. If he had been upfront from start and answered the questions put to him he might still be a minister.

Ivan Yates gave an excellent summary about it yesterday evening on his show, basically said Cowens fatal error was doubling down and refusing to take questions.

He said Barry should have made himself available for an hour or so, where the opposition could present questions to him, and he could have answered them openly and honestly giving his own accord. "Get out in front of it" so to speak.

Eg, the opposition could have said, there's reports Mr Cowen, that you deliberately tried to evade a checkpoint, at which point Barry could have said something along the lines of "wait to I tell you about that......." Even if it didn't look like anything remotely plausible, he at least wouldn't have appeared to have doubled down on things.

As it stood he wanted to hide behind enquiries etc leaving himself and Michaél completely exposed.

Not a word for word account of what Yates said, but it's certainly the gist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I just find this decision, and the comments and reaction in this thread typical of modern Ireland.
    I was hoping a global pandemic might make people realize the important things in life,
    but no, we are just a nation of bitter little trolls it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I just find this decision, and the comments and reaction in this thread typical of modern Ireland.
    I was hoping a global pandemic might make people realize the important things in life,

you wot mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So what else should we ignore due to the pandemic? Suggestions please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I wouldn't agree with that, But MM did bow to the trolls that are out there.
    It's a poor outlook if keyboard warriors are going to influence this Government

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ivan Yates gave an excellent summary about it yesterday evening on his show, basically said Cowens fatal error was doubling down and refusing to take questions.

He said Barry should have made himself available for an hour or so, where the opposition could present questions to him, and he could have answered them openly and honestly giving his own accord. "Get out in front of it" so to speak.

Eg, the opposition could have said, there's reports Mr Cowen, that you deliberately tried to evade a checkpoint, at which point Barry could have said something along the lines of "wait to I tell you about that......." Even if it didn't look like anything remotely plausible, he at least wouldn't have appeared to have doubled down on things.

As it stood he wanted to hide behind enquiries etc leaving himself and Michaél completely exposed.

Not a word for word account of what Yates said, but it's certainly the gist.

I'm nearly certain at this point that he was fired for the same reason he would never have answered those questions. Because the questions would have looked like this, "Have you a completed your driving test and acquired a full license? Where is your car right now? Did you drive into the Dail today? Who accompanied you?"

Fionnan Sheehan on with Pat Kenny now, discussing Cowens controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fionnan Sheehan on with Pat Kenny now, discussing Cowens controversy.

Fionnan is like the class rat. I've no time for him. Like the Seanie Gallagher episode he seems to thrive on others misfortune and mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

If Sinn Fein have some such a problem with drink drivers how come their own TD in Cork who had a far higher alcohol reading doesnt resign?

How many sections of society do Sinn Fein hate? Fianna Failers, Fine Gaelers , Labourites, Catholics, Anyone who owns their own house, anyone who goes horse racing ( sulky racing is ok though)..the list goes on and on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

This is it. People who say he got fired for drink driving don't seem to have read what MM said.
    He got fired because he wasn't prepared to answer questions about it.

And that left MM and all other government TDs covering for him. And after a certain point they all came to the conclusion that he wasn't worth providing cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Fionnan is like the class rat. I've no time for him. Like the Seanie Gallagher episode he seems to thrive on others misfortune and mistakes.
    Shoot the messenger, wha....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

hurler32 wrote: »
    If Sinn Fein have some such a problem with drink drivers how come their own TD in Cork who had a far higher alcohol reading doesnt resign?

How many sections of society do Sinn Fein hate? Fianna Failers, Fine Gaelers , Labourites, Catholics, Anyone who owns their own house, anyone who goes horse racing ( sulky racing is ok though)..the list goes on and on ...

Sinn Fein have already stated they want Cowens head, they wanted him to answer questions. This is not SF's doing!!

Has Cowen resigned, he is still a TD so why should SF TD resign?

As for that ant at the end, hahahahahahahahaha

thousands of farmers would strongly disagree with anything tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

hurler32 wrote: »

I was actually thinking about this. I’m from Cork East and Sinn Fein voters had no issue voting for Pat Buckley. So, I take it they accept him and would have accepted him as a government minister of SF did get into government.

Advertisement